Search
Like Tree5Likes

Painter's Chat

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I

Last edited by kyosho_utah; 09-12-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mike E.
What paint are you using? It sound's like you're trying to cover with fewer coats. If you are using something like faskolor or createx try reducing the paint. I use AutoAir flash reducer 4011. Stuff is fantastic. Also, how do you prep the body? Hot soapy water with a clean rag or sponge then buff it with a scotch brite to give something for the paint to hold onto then hot soapy water again. Something else that may cause that is humidity. The paint may be dry to the touch but is not cured enough. When I use water base I always build up color and cook it with a space heater between coats. Hope that helps.

I use createx. I scuff with red automotive scotch brite then wash with hot soapy water. I've never really thineed my paint. It's hard to measure out and I feel like coverage is worse when I've tried and I'll get bleed through. As far as curing fully that might be it. I usually use a space heater but sense it's been summer I don't use it. And I do a seal coat with rustolum paint and primer. I'll try scuffing more and using the space heater again. What ratio do you thin? And how do you measure it? I know some mix it right in the air brush. Also how many coats?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyosho_utah
I use createx. I scuff with red automotive scotch brite then wash with hot soapy water. I've never really thineed my paint. It's hard to measure out and I feel like coverage is worse when I've tried and I'll get bleed through. As far as curing fully that might be it. I usually use a space heater but sense it's been summer I don't use it. And I do a seal coat with rustolum paint and primer. I'll try scuffing more and using the space heater again. What ratio do you thin? And how do you measure it? I know some mix it right in the air brush. Also how many coats?
Is it a jconcepts body?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyosho_utah
I've had issues with createx. Just exactly what you are mentioning which is why I quit using it. It's almost like Latex paint. Others use it and won't use anything else. With the AutoAir 4011 flash reducer you only need a few drops in a cup. Just mix it right in the cup. Its easier to control that way. If you have a thicker paint you'll need a little more. Over time you'll figure it out. Something else the reducer does is stop dry tip on the brush.

As far as how many coats, it just depends on how deep you want the color. Just remember, you're layering paint droplets and you have to layer those droplets to get coverage. When you put on a heavier coat the water in the paint doesn't have a chance to "vape" off and you end up with a top layer film or skin. Kind of like pudding when you put it in the fridge and don't put plastic wrap on the surface. Takes forever to dry.

Just be patient. Don't rush it. If you only get a little done on a particular day because you need to put on a few light coats and dry between then so be it. You and your customer will be happier about it.

Hope my ramblings make sense.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

By the way I'm in the SLC if you're local and want some help.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by carbongoat
Is it a jconcepts body?

Stock B64d was the most recent. But I've had issues with lots of bodies. But now that I think of it. Quite a few have been Jc.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

I can assure you that the body manufacturer has nothing to do with it. 90% is paint prep. I've painted many different bodies and have had that problem across the board. Try what I have suggested and I'll almost guarantee you won't have anymore issues.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

I've had issues with createx. Just exactly what you are mentioning which is why I quit using it. It's almost like Latex paint. Others use it and won't use anything else. With the AutoAir 4011 flash reducer you only need a few drops in a cup. Just mix it right in the cup. Its easier to control that way. If you have a thicker paint you'll need a little more. Over time you'll figure it out. Something else the reducer does is stop dry tip on the brush.

As far as how many coats, it just depends on how deep you want the color. Just remember, you're layering paint droplets and you have to layer those droplets to get coverage. When you put on a heavier coat the water in the paint doesn't have a chance to "vape" off and you end up with a top layer film or skin. Kind of like pudding when you put it in the fridge and don't put plastic wrap on the surface. Takes forever to dry.

Just be patient. Don't rush it. If you only get a little done on a particular day because you need to put on a few light coats and dry between then so be it. You and your customer will be happier about it.

Hope my ramblings make sense.

No I appreciate all the feedback. It helps a lot. I'm probably trying to rush it along to much. I think I need to put my liquid mask on thicker and use reducer and more light coats and be patient and give it time to cure. The pudding analogy is perfect. What brand do you spray? I'm assuming auto air? I've used some of that and really like the way it sprays but createx has way more colors and is easy to get my hands on being stocked by hobby lobby. I've noticed faskolor has fallen off every where and spaz stix as well.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Tech Addict

I actually use a lot of SpazStix. It's my go to paint. I also have a grundle of Faskolor but don't use it that much. I've learned to work with the Faskolor and reduce it so it sprays well.

I love Autoair paints. It's actually a water base automotive paint and they do have lots of colors and have just come out with some new water based candies that are amazing. Check out coastairbrush.com. They sell it. You can also buy it at your local auto body supply store. Another good thing is that they have 4 oz. bottles. I get white and black in those sizes.

How many costs of the mask do you put down? I usually do 3-4 heavy coats.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

I actually use a lot of SpazStix. It's my go to paint. I also have a grundle of Faskolor but don't use it that much. I've learned to work with the Faskolor and reduce it so it sprays well.

I love Autoair paints. It's actually a water base automotive paint and they do have lots of colors and have just come out with some new water based candies that are amazing. Check out coastairbrush.com. They sell it. You can also buy it at your local auto body supply store. Another good thing is that they have 4 oz. bottles. I get white and black in those sizes.

How many costs of the mask do you put down? I usually do 3-4 heavy coats.
Where do you get your spaz stix? Maybe I'll try using more auto air. I know you can get it from tcp global as well. I'm just looking now. Didn't know they had as many colors. The local paint store doesn't stock many pearl/metallic colors but they usually have white and black I've got it there. I've been doing 2 heavy coats on liquid mask. I need to find the happy medium place cause I've had it too thick and that makes it hard to cut. I'll bump it up to 3.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Tech Addict

The AutoAir you can get at coastairbrush.com. Go check out the site. They have all kinds of stuff. The spaz I buy directly from their website spazstix.com. I should correct myself on the mask. It's 3-4 medium coats. It's kinda weird but the sound of the body tells me when I've got enough. When you pick up the body and toss it in one hand and it doesn't make that hollow sound you're probably just right. Weird I know.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

The AutoAir you can get at coastairbrush.com. Go check out the site. They have all kinds of stuff. The spaz I buy directly from their website spazstix.com. I should correct myself on the mask. It's 3-4 medium coats. It's kinda weird but the sound of the body tells me when I've got enough. When you pick up the body and toss it in one hand and it doesn't make that hollow sound you're probably just right. Weird I know.

Do you use a hair drier in between coats with the liquid mask?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

I can assure you that the body manufacturer has nothing to do with it. 90% is paint prep. I've painted many different bodies and have had that problem across the board. Try what I have suggested and I'll almost guarantee you won't have anymore issues.
You are 100% wrong! Jconcepts had wrong release agent shipped to them and the shipped many bodies before they caught it. Paint will not stick no matter what you do. Had this happen to me two in a row. They took care of it no issue
Old 09-12-2017, 10:15 PM
Tech Regular

Do not use spaztix paint!!! This is the worst paint for lexan. It will not stick no matter what you do. It is a known problem with it hence the reason you dont hear any of the big name painters using it. I've been painting for over 25+ yrs. It will not stick. After few hits it peels off in sheets no matter what you do!! I scuff all my bodies with gray 3m scotch bright. Red is too coarse. Wash with dawn dish soap. All I use is auto air, wicked, and createx. It is the exact same stuff as faskolor!!!. You actually use any acrylic craft paint. It will just need thinned. Regular Windex is one of the best things to use to thin it. It will stick and you will have no issues.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

Also auto air offers way more colors then they do in createx line. Gem pearls,hilite pearls, sparklescents, hot rod sparkles. Trust me I literly have them all. There not cheap either. Some are $28 a 4oz bottle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.