How to remove paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sm1nts2escape
How did it go?
Originally Posted by dug44
He went the suicide route! Hahahaha, just kidding. I'm curious as well....
Hey guys, so far it's been good 2 days of work and 2 bottles of brake fluid. Regular paints like black and white came off really fast and easy but the metallic colors like silver and purple are not coming off that easy. It is going to take some time and a lot of patience for me to finish this project; or I'm just going to say the hell with it and throw the body in the trash and go buy a new one.

Now, I would never ever try to do this with a small 1/10th scale body. It is not worth the time and money for sure. Just the paper towel and the brake fluid is already half the price of the body. In my case, one I just wanted to see if it can be done and two the body for the 1/5th scale car is expensive like $200.

So to make the long story short right now I got a ton of brake fluid all over the body and waiting to see what happens. For sure I will post the results, a good looking body on the car or in the trash.

Thanks Tiko
Old 02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've tried Dot 4, graffiti remover, lemon based products you name it. The shell will never look the same. ever. Cloudy, remnants of original paint etc.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tiko
For sure I will post the results, a good looking body on the car or in the trash.

Thanks Tiko
Paint the outside, clear over it is your only option, or buy another body sadly. All the old tricks dont work with modern polycarbonate paints, at least tamiya.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I gave up on this too, it seemed the fluid was making the body more brittle & easier to crack..

I bought a new body. If i tried to repaint that I would only be able to see matt colors..
Old 02-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daign
I've tried Dot 4, graffiti remover, lemon based products you name it. The shell will never look the same. ever. Cloudy, remnants of original paint etc.
i used DOT4 my shell did not look cloudy!! i am looking at right now its crystal clear.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

last week DOT4 on a bulldog body painted with spaz stix and faskolor works fine for me. only where mirror chrome was used, it looks a little cloudy...
Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Graphite07
4 days are you serious? i used it tonight DOT 4. it took only a few hours the longer you let it soak the softer the paint gets and falls off. use a soft brisle tooth brush it makes it easy to scrub off with no scratch marks. my slash body is paint free again for another paint job.
Well maybe we have different standards or our eyes perceive things a little differently. But I spent days on a painted losi mega baja body which is no longer made. It came out looking like crap. Yes the body did become a little brittle from the dot 4 as well. It was a pain in the butt and a complete waste of time. What type of paint are you using to paint your bodies? I don't believe in this hokus pokus. Anyways the paint embeds itself in the lexan/ chemically bonds to it. So if you do successfully remove the paint. Like I did you will still not have a perfectly clear shell.