Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frog Masking Tape: Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Practice. Sharp blades, and change often. Don't press too hard, and rotate the knife in your finger tips.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

also make sure you apply several layers of the masking film. it makes it easier to remove. when it's just 1 or 2 layers it's really hard to get off because it's so thin.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

what blade do you use? I apply 3 coats, use new blades and just use the weight of the knife and it seems to make jagged lines. I use the #11 blades but have been wondering if a curved blade might work better.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

5 coats and #11. Lay the knife down more and pull.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I must confess that I have never tried frog tape on bodies, it does work on walls well, but I have never found the need to try it because use what I believe is a much more suitable product- Tamiya 87063. The 40mm wide stuff.

Its the best masking tape I have tried and it's all I use now- I have done 300-400 bodies over the years as a small time professional painter. I did liquid mask for a while but couldn't get it as crisp as tape. For me it's a personal preference, it works with my techniques best. It helps to lay down the tape so that you have only one layer as well. Don't pile up layer after layer, its much harder to cut thru cleanly.

The tamiya is very tacky and thin, conforming and sticking much better than blue painters tape or regular masking. It's what Tamiya uses for their window masks on a lot of their bodies. It can be frustrating to work with at first, but with practice it's amazing. BTW some if not all of the narrower tape is different and I dont like it as much. It's thicker, maybe a bit less sticky and definitely doesn't conform as well.

Anyway might be something worth experimenting with.