Wiki Posts
Search

Paasche VL and Shadowing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Blake,

It ends up that I screened the entire bottle of fasgreen, thinned (generously) but it just ended up lasting only marginally longer than before. I just gained myself enough working time to do a half assed fade. Seems (im guessing here) beyond a certain age the paint just is prone clumping, either that or there was something wrong with the composition of the batch that made up my bottle of fasgreen. Either way, I wasted enough time trying to get it too work, I will try to thin it some more just to experiment but I am concerned about over thinning. It's ready for the trash bin.

As far as the bubbles, what I was referring to is bubbles in the color cup which is what you get if you are clogged or your aircap isn't on tight enough. Quite honestly I haven't worried about the bubbles when mixing. If I am adding just some extender or bond all I often just do a drop or two into the paintcup and stir it up rather than shake it (like you say, you get that creamy bubbly stuff when you shake). If I am mixing a larger batch in a separate bottle, I will let it sit just to get a nice consistency.

LOL! All through yesterday I was remembering how I supported the Paasche VL in the past and I was soooo quick to blame it for my problems I almost ran out and bought a Iwata HP-C! Good thing I didn't or I would have been really pissed because it wouldn't have solved my problem as I thought it might!!
Old 09-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Hey Guys,

You might want to consider using Createx paints, if you are having problems with buying old paint. Since Createx is available in Arts & Crafts stores, chances are that the inventory probably moves faster, so the old paint issue shouldn't be a problem, especially if it's a high traffic store.

Also keep in mind that different colors may have different characteristics. Candies will usually be thinner than opaque paints, for example, and colors like black and white always seem to be the thickest.

Anyway, I'm glad you seem you found the problem, although it sucks that it came at the cost of getting a good fade on your paint job, Qranc.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah I am slowly replacing all my stuff with the createx line. The local hobby stores just don't turn around enough stock of the faskolor to gaurantee on sort of freshness and the funny thing, the bottle of fasgreen I was having problems with was ordered online! My local art store is a large chain so I am fairly confident the createx will be decent and if not, I can take it back. Sounds like a great deal. Hell ... it's even cheaper for the regular colors that faskolor comes in and has a greater range when you include the auto air line (little more expensive though).
Old 09-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

yep, an unofficial source confirmed my suspicions a few years ago that Createx supplies Parma the paints. That would explain the cheaper price, not to mention the uncanny resemblance in the bottles and colors! I started using them then, and haven't looked back.