Wiki Posts
Search

5 and 10 gallon tanks

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 5 and 10 gallon tanks

would a 5 gallon 100psi tank be sufficiant for airbrushing?? I can also get a 10 gallon one.

I made a mistake and bought the wrong air compressor (it only goes to 20psi) I don't have the money to buy a good compressor that is quit enough for inside.

Well, harbor freight has 5 and 10 gallon tanks for cheap. They are quiet and it comes with a regulator.

how much airbrushing can be done with a 5 gallon tank at 100psi? 10 gallon?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Depending on the design a ten gallon tank may get you through an 8th scale buggy body but that is it.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

dreaux,

That's what I'm goint to try. I've found an 11 gal tank and I'm mounting a regulator/water seperater on it. The tank I'm getting is rated at 125 PSI so I'm figuring that pumped up to max and regulated down to an airbrush flow rate it should last a while. Luckily I'll only need to drag the tank to the garage to refill from my compressor.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

what about a co2 tank? How many gallons is that.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I use a 2HP 8 Gallon from Harbor Freight. I've had it for 1 1/2 years now and it's still runnin' like a champ. It is VERY loud though.
Once it goes, I will replace it with an Ingersoll Rand.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

If you clean your airbrush by blowing thinner/water through it after painting a 10 gallon tank won't be enough to do a multi colour body and clean the brush without refilling the tank. My compressor is a 6 gallon tank at 150PSI and after blowing air through after a coat of paint at around 30PSI I'm down to 90 PSI in my tank.

It will be enough for a 1 colour body.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dreaux
what about a co2 tank? How many gallons is that.
This depends on the size of the tank you are getting.
A CO2 tank though smaller has a higher capacity than a 10 gallon air tank.
The reason for this is the pressure at which the Co2 is stored at.

Co2 is stored at roughly 800 psi which causes it to change from a gas into a liquid. This allows for a higher volume to be stored due to changing states. When the gas is decompressed it changes back from a liquid into a gas.
The down side to using the Co2 is the need for a high pressure regulator. You cant just use a normal compressor regulator. You will have to have one that is able to accept pressure at roughly 1000psi. This reg can step the pressure down to the 120psi mark. After the first reg you can install your second reg to step the pressure down to your desired level for the airbrush.

Just make sure you have a nice moisture trap as Co2 is very bad about not changing completely from a liquid into a gas and this plays hell on your paint!!!

Also when double reg'ing a Co2 setup you need to leave a fair amount of space between (1 to 2ft) the first reg and second reg so you get a little air buffer for the regs to work with. If you dont you will see some pretty drastic pressure drops when you start shooting paint.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

i consider my self pretty smart. I always thought that the gas was changed to liquid by temperature. Being that colder atoms mover slower and hotter ones move faster.

Absolute zero they don't move at all, which all motion would stop.

But compressing them makes sense because you are putting them closer together and under pressure. I guess you could make a solid to as well.

Man i was way off.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 AM
Tech Regular

Pressure along with temperature will cause a gas to change states.
If a gas is under pressure it wont require as low of a temperature to change it into a liquid form, than what it would if it wasnt under pressure.

Exothermic and Endothermic, I believe are the two properties we are talking about in relation to a gas state vs pressure vs temp.
It however has been to long since I studied this in college to recall which is which and if I even spelled them correctly!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've found several 20lb CO2 tanks for like $60-70, but I'm more concerned with the expense and hassle of keeping them filled. From what I can determine it will cost like $35 for a fill in these parts, and that would mean a trip to the distributer. I'm wondering how far a 20lb tank of CO2 will go when airbrushing. If it will only do a couple of bodies, that's a considerable added expense to each body.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Wouldn't refilling a scuba tank be cheaper than a CO2 tank? Similar high pressure concerns for scuba. But you's also get the benefit of having scuba gear when you wanted go diving!

I still find the simple small compressor, tankless, or tanked, to be the best solution for airbrushing. For me.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Colors_By_Dave
Wouldn't refilling a scuba tank be cheaper than a CO2 tank? Similar high pressure concerns for scuba. But you's also get the benefit of having scuba gear when you wanted go diving!

I still find the simple small compressor, tankless, or tanked, to be the best solution for airbrushing. For me.

Dave, I'd aggree, but my neighbors definately WOULDN'T aggree with the little pancake compressor I bought to airbrush with. The silly lil' thing makes at least 3 times the noise that my two cylinder 60gal compressor in the garage does. I'm going to try the portable tank method, and just trundle it back and forth to the garage to fill.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Initiate

i use a 20 gallon compressor, pump it to around 110 psi, then unplug it. it last me through an 8th scale trugy and still plenty of high pressure to clean up with after i am done.
i also just got a small 2 gallon to try and it ran three times while painting 2 vw bug crawler bodies.