Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
What do I need for painting my first body? >

What do I need for painting my first body?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do I need for painting my first body?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Questions?? What do I need for painting my first body?

Since my slash body is almost trashed, I've been thinking of buying a new body and paint it. But, I've never painted a body before. I don't have a air brush and I just want to paint it with a spray can. Apart from masking tape, scissors and spray cans, what else do I need? When I'm done painting the body do I put a varnish on top of it?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Only other thing missing from your list is patience.

Take the time to wash the body with warm soapy water, give it a little scrubbing with a scotch brite pad while you do it [stay away from the windows], rinse well and make sure it's totally dry before you mask and paint.

For added insurance, pick up a can of adhesion promoter from your local auto parts store. This will help the paint stick and lessen the chances of paint damage due to flaking.

Paint the darkest colors in your scheme first, masking off everything else, and work toward your lighter colors. Don't use varnish to seal the body, just use a final coat of white or silver, making the inside of the body an even color.

When all the painting is done, give it plenty of time to cure before you run it. I like to try and leave a body alone for at least 2 days. Can't always do that, but it seems to help if you can, otherwise carefully bake the paint in with a heat gun or hairdryer.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Also note that you paint RC bodies from the inside. With your varnish comment, I wasn't sure if you knew!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default paint

and use lexan paint regular rattle cans will flake fast
Old 01-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Also before you start spraying, find yourself a very well ventilated place and you might opt for some kind of face mask or ventilation mask. I also when using rattle cans will set can in some warm water about an inch deep, seems to help paint flow, I do that primarily cause I'm in Il. where its colder.......hope this helps some and good luck