Wiki Posts
Search

Airbrush problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Airbrush problems

I have a Iwata revolution BCR and am having problems with detail work. When I try and spray a fine line(3/8" to 1/2") which is really not that fine I get spotting. The paint comes out for a sec then nothing. When I pull back to get more paint it takes alot of movement to get it going again and then its too much. I am using Faskolor and have tried it staight from the bottle and watered down. I have also tried diff press settings from 25lbs to 70. I have taken it apart to clean it out but maybe I need to do a better job.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

That's pretty much the same problem I'm having. I was hoping that thinning would solve the problem, but have not tried it yet. I thought you were supposed to be able to spray Faskolor straight from the bottle, but I've had major problems thus far, and keep screwing up bodies!!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default heres my first try

If I could have figured out the spotting or skipping problem I would have tried more fades and a better shadow. But overall I'm pleased with my first try. I do love the fact that I can mix and make new colors.
Attached Thumbnails Airbrush problems-first-try.jpg  
Old 03-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

same problem, posted from another site

I have a bottom feed eclipse and am shooting the fascolor paint. I am having trouble getting the paint to come out consistantly. It will go ok sometimes, and other times i get a splat effect like a paintball. I am trying to do some very close work I am running about 25-30 psi. I tried higher but it seemed to not work well either. Lower than 25 and it doesn't seem to draw the paint. any ideas? I hate to think that i should have gotten a top feed and dropped all that money on a bottom.

come on mab or haunted, help us out. Haunted, a troubleshooting guide would be a helpful addition to your article.

by the way tom, nice first try.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

I just pretty much posted that exact same thing on another forum myself.

I have the Iwata Revolution CR and found that the needle housing has an air leak. Once I sealed the leak I was able to spray at 5 PSI. and do some detail work.

Check for leaks! Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

What do you mean it had an air leak? how did you fix it?

Thanks,
G
Old 03-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

At the tip of the brush there is a needle housing(for lack of political correctness) and just behind that, where it screws onto the brush, it was leaking air.

I tried some thread lock, but that didn't seem to help enough so for now I just wraped it with teflon tape.

With your brush empty, you can spray some soapy water, or maybe windshield washing liquid on the tip of the brush while pulling back the trigger fully open. If it bubbles up you have a leak.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Tech Rookie

I'll take a stab at it...

Check your needle and nozzle really closely. The tip of the needle might be bent, even if you can not see it (I haven't been able to get through a body with out bending a needle The tip of the nozzle can become opened up very easily by pushing the needle too far in when cleaning and rebuilding. It may even be worth while to just replace both items and see if there is any improvement.