Wiki Posts
Search

Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Compressor?

I have been thinking about getting an airbrush. I am looking for one at a relatively low price and I know i will have to sacrifice some performance. The thing I'd like to ask about is air compressors. Do you need a certain kind or is it universal? I have a electric one made by Clark air. It is powerful enough to power a nail gun, is that what I need for a airbrush or do I need a different kind?
Thanks! Your response is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

also is this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95810
sufficient for painting lexan bodies?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OFFroadrunner
I have been thinking about getting an airbrush. I am looking for one at a relatively low price and I know i will have to sacrifice some performance. The thing I'd like to ask about is air compressors. Do you need a certain kind or is it universal? I have a electric one made by Clark air. It is powerful enough to power a nail gun, is that what I need for a airbrush or do I need a different kind?
Thanks! Your response is greatly appreciated!

The compressor you have should be fine as long as you have a good pressure regulator and a moisture trap.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OFFroadrunner
also is this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95810
sufficient for painting lexan bodies?
It will work "ok" for a while. I had one of their brushes years back, and they don't hold up long. Eventually the seals start to leak and they a basically impossible to get parts for.

If you want something reasonably priced that will last for years and has solid parts support look at getting either a Paasche VL or Iwata Revolution. Keep in mind that for only about $115 you can have an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS which is kind of the golden standard in rc body painting. You would likely never need another brush.

EDIT: Check out Coast Airbrush. They usually have the lowest prices around.

Also if you happen to have a Hobby Lobby store in your area, they commonly have 40% off coupons on their website. With one of those you can snag an Eclipse HP-CS for $90.

Last edited by avrcguy; 10-27-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Def add a moisture trap and regulator - you'll need a way to regulate pressure for an airbrush, mine seems to work best at 30psi. Moisture trap prevents the little blobs of water from flying out on your paint job.

Airbrush - look at the Paasche line, I've been using a vxl kit I bought on ebay for $50 - complete with extra parts, jars, wrench, seals and a nice long hose. You can get parts if you need them and it does a great job.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by avrcguy
It will work "ok" for a while. I had one of their brushes years back, and they don't hold up long. Eventually the seals start to leak and they a basically impossible to get parts for.

If you want something reasonably priced that will last for years and has solid parts support look at getting either a Paasche VL or Iwata Revolution. Keep in mind that for only about $115 you can have an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS which is kind of the golden standard in rc body painting. You would likely never need another brush.

EDIT: Check out Coast Airbrush. They usually have the lowest prices around.

Also if you happen to have a Hobby Lobby store in your area, they commonly have 40% off coupons on their website. With one of those you can snag an Eclipse HP-CS for $90.
great! thanks for the prompt response. Yeah, I'm going to be doing 2 bodies soon (on for my rustler and the other for my 8ight-b) and I was wondering if it was better to get a air brush since I already have the compressor or just use spray cans. The design I'm doing is very simple and I'll probably only do another body when these break so I won't be doing a lot of them, so a lower quality one should suit me, plus my sesigns will be mostly masked.
Thanks so much for all of your help!!!
-ffradrunner
Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

Default VL

If I get the paasche vl brush and i buy this: Product ID: I-490 Medea No Rust Assembly Only, which laxan paints will I be able to use?
I'm so new to this
Old 10-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

You don't need that cover assembly (Product ID: I-490 Medea No Rust Assembly Only). The VL kit comes with bottles and the appropriate cover assemblies for the included bottles. You would just dispense the amount of paint you plan to use from the bottle of paint to the bottle that comes with the airbrush. The vl kit also comes with a cup that you can use instead of a bottle. That's what I normally use for most everything, unless I'm going to spray a large area. The kits are very inexpensive right now, and can be had for about 65 bucks new.

http://www.rexart.com/product316.html

http://www.dixieart.com/Paasche_VL_V..._Airbrush.html

If you're just going to do a couple of bodies and the designs are fairly basic with no detail work, I'd just use rattle cans. If you buy an airbrush and decide to get a little fancy on a 30 dollar body without first getting plenty of practice on paper or transparency sheets you may regret it.

good luck