Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compessor

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Compessor

I have a 2 gallon air compressor where I can set the pressure, is it to strong to use with an airbush? What would i need to set it to
Old 09-25-2003, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Re: Compessor

Originally posted by Tmaxx_5150
I have a 2 gallon air compressor where I can set the pressure, is it to strong to use with an airbush? What would i need to set it to
Uuummm.......so, your compressor has a regulator on it?
If so, yes you would want to set your pressure to 30~40psi. It all depends on what type of paints and airbrush you are using.

Is it like this one..............
Old 09-25-2003, 10:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes, it has a regulator. It is a Cambell Hausfield not that model, it is the yellow one that has the two one gallon tanks. I have a pasche and a badger airbush. Thanks for your help!!
I will be painting lexan bodies with Pactra paints.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

Tmaxx,

It sounds like you have one you can use, however, first I would recommend adding a moisture trap to it. That will keep the paint from spitting when moisture builds up inside it. I use on almost just like that and moisture does build up. For the rest you need to know, go here!
Old 09-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Do you have two guages on your compressor (like the one above)? There should be a knob on one and that functions as the regulator. You turn it one way and the pressure on the gauge goes up, you turn it the other way and the pressure goes down. This controls the pressure going through the line.

BTW, the other gauge lets you know how much pressure is built up in the tank.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't have any experience with that model compressor you have but the one Punisher pictured is the one I just threw out. If you aren't planning on doing a lot of bodies it will work just fine, but if your going to be doing a lot plan on getting another compressor pretty soon. It only took 6 months before mine wouldn't hold any pressure. It seems they cut costs, and reliability, by using a rubber piston ring in the compressor pump. So when you do a bunch of bodies and the compressor is frequently running the rubber piston ring gets hot, expands, and then desinigrates. I took everything apart on mine and found a piston sleeve full of fine black powder. I tought it would be an easy fix, but of course they won't sell you just the o-ring. But they would cut me a good deal for a new compressor motor and pump ($50). So I just broke down and bought a new compressor.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

Cool

what kind of cumpressor should i get? How much will it cost?
Old 10-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Cool

I would have to agree with Bad Andy on this compressor (picture above). I went through two of them in the two years of airbrushing!!! You will have to pay above $100 to get a good reliable air compressor. Like some of yall my air compressor dose double duty for me like blowing off my R/C cars and other house hold duties. If you are planning on using your compressor for more then airbrushing a better quality compressor is better for ya!!