Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Indy, do you have done different angles in that McAllister Mustang? I'd like to see how it looks compared to the HPI Boss.

Thanks
Same, I've always liked the softer lines on the McAllister if done right.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by flyingm
McAllister Racing doesn't have team racers to promote our product on Forums...... so we can keep our prices low and our Dealers clear of team racers.......
Well, it looks like me and Gary have one thing in common - because I don't have team racers promoting my product on the Forums either.

....oh those damn team racers......

Dale Epp - Protoform
Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

You guys have a lot in common. Competitors, yes of course, but we all have those where we work. At the end of the day your companies are both adding a lot of fun to the lives of RC racers. We daydream about the things you guys make. How many people have companies/products that can make that claim?

I agree with IndyRCRacer. Thank you for what you do for the hobby. I'll never understand why our hobbies aren't as popular as fishing and golf. RC is a lot more fun!
Old 01-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Indy, do you have done different angles in that McAllister Mustang? I'd like to see how it looks compared to the HPI Boss.

Thanks
I'm not clear what you are asking Professor. Does this help?

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-bossmustangdennis06r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-orangevta70bossmustang-002r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-scottsbossmustang-004r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-orangevta70bossmustang-004r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-scottsbossmustang-002r.jpg  

Old 01-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Those look great, but I was hoping for different angles on the Mcalister Mustang. Want to compare it to the HPI. I don't think the pics I can find on google really do it justic
Old 01-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Just to even things out, here's some ProtoForm VTA bodies I've airbrushed. Also great stuff!

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-j71jongreenblack14r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-j71orangeblack05r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-j71nickblackred12r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamprotoformforfrank11r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamblackbluetimshipp09r.jpg  

Old 01-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Those look great, but I was hoping for different angles on the Mcalister Mustang. Want to compare it to the HPI. I don't think the pics I can find on google really do it justic
Now I understand what you mean. Yes, I did take additional photos from other angels. Here you go...

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_1905.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_1907.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_1908.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_1909.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_1906.jpg  

Old 01-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks. Great paint work as always.

When using the liquid mask, I always avoided high impact areas, such as the front bumper, due the inevitable scoring of the body as you cut. What do you do to minimize this? I really like the font bumper painted silver to make it pop.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Scott (Indy)
Thanks for the nice comments on the body makers. I sure appreciate it and I'm sure Dale does too. It is a very competitive business, but I do have a lot of respect for those of us that still exist, especially Dale, but don't tell him I said that... : ) In another world Dale and I would probably enjoy many conversations about all kinds of cars.

Gary McAllister
Old 01-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would like to thank every company and racer that supports the USVTA...its why I even race...and I will continue to do so as long as its being ran.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks. Great paint work as always.

When using the liquid mask, I always avoided high impact areas, such as the front bumper, due the inevitable scoring of the body as you cut. What do you do to minimize this? I really like the font bumper painted silver to make it pop.
Well, there's no question that scoring the body, especially in the front impact areas, will cause cracking. Its the nature of the material. In those areas, I still try to use masking tape and pin striping tape instead of a blade if possible. If I do have to use a blade to cut...it sounds funny...but a dull-er one is what I use if I can. Often, the dull blade is still sharp enough to cut through the liquid mask, but dull enough I think it just leaves a mark on the lexan, but doesn't cut/score it. A light touch too helps, but a score is a score.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Thanks, but its that Fasescent BLUE that is awesome.

Had some time yesterday to do some airbrushing. Garage was comfortable to work in. This is one of the new McAllister 1970 Camaro bodies. I like it! Fits my Team Associated TC3 just great and will be running Friday nights at Indy RC in the Vintage Trans Am class. Faskolor metallic orange with a little punch behind it. Also black and chrome in a few areas. Everything is paint!

How do you get the carbon fiber look on the hood?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

I get mine with kitchen drawer liner. Place in body, spray color one, remove, spray color 2.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks
My paint skills are not quite on par with Indy's, but here is the McCallister Mustang I have been racing the last few weeks.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:58 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You know, I would nevet put that color combo together, but you know what? I like it! Way to bring something unique to the track. Nice job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.