Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JMURACN
now to cruise all these pages for inspiration!
You'll find it here! The VTA class is a blast. IMO its got the coolest, best looking cars, best looking wheels/tires and really fair rules.

And, you can make a 10-15 year old chassis rock with the best of them!

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-i_don_t_always_run_rc_cars.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
It's a very smooth way to get the flat look. I like that you retain the durability of having the paint all on the inside. I wonder if you could flatten decals or if the blasting would blow them right off the shell. You kept the windows nice and clear. I would like to see this done over a bright candy with a large metal flake base coat.
It think it would destroy the decals. I put on a few layers of tape when I mask the windows and areas that I dont want flat. As for that flat bright candy, paint one up and mail it to me. I am interested to, just not enough to do one myself.

And thanks for the compliments. I have touring car body I am going to murder out witu some flourescent green or yellow trim
Old 05-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old 05-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As I prep this body for paint... I'm wondering how you guys are mounting the rear bumpers on the HPI 1970 Boss 302? anyone have pictures?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

No pics, but i just used shoe goo. The body panels line up pretty good. Just use google seach and you can see how
Old 05-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by theproffesor
No pics, but i just used shoe goo. The body panels line up pretty good. Just use google seach and you can see how
it came with double sided tape and two little nuts and bolts... I'm assuming they want you use that.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have done a 70 Boss Mustang. I used the double sided tape. Actually I used black foam based servo tape and not anything that came with the shell. No Shoo Goo and none of the HPI included hardware. The other HPI shells that I have done I have not used the hardware either. Black servo tape. I am on my first Protoform right now and I am going to see how it does without hardware. I did have to re attach the rear of a Cuda once, but I just taped it again.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

I have the pf javlin. One nose I used shoo goo with re-inforcment tape and the hardware, it tore the nose at... you guessed it, where the screws went through. The next one just the shoo goo and tape and havent had any problems.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I've been experimenting with that flex-seal stuff. Seams to work pretty well. A little SG to fill in some spots then flex-seal. No cracks, paint chipping off, or any other issues.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
I've been experimenting with that flex-seal stuff. Seams to work pretty well. A little SG to fill in some spots then flex-seal. No cracks, paint chipping off, or any other issues.
So you are painting, then mounting the nose with shoo goo and servo tape, then backing everything with flex seal. Is that right? Is it heavy?
Old 05-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
So you are painting, then mounting the nose with shoo goo and servo tape, then backing everything with flex seal. Is that right? Is it heavy?
Been running a 68 Camaro... but I also have a J71. I have never used servo tape. Basically I will use SG in the nose area, then screws if it is required, followed by some flex seal. Heavy? Yeah... but hey you gotta add weight so I just reinforce as I see fit. I have seen long-life from the shells I have ran.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:54 AM
Tech Champion

Longevity is a good thing. I agree about the weight as well. I like lights and I see the weight rule as the freedom to do that without penalty.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:41 AM
Tech Regular

TEAM RATTLECAN! (and team terrible phone pics)

dont mind the shockless chassis pic, i'm in the middle of rebuilding the OG shocks from the RTR i think. I think that's parma competition green (or racing green?) and outlaw black. I'll be painting my bumpers from now on I think lol. I need to find some numbers and another circle. Still need to mount the wing and clean up the edges on the wheel wells.

I've been using the flex seal stuff for offroad racing AND if you are good with a rattle can and don't throw a lot of crap on (it does spray differently than paint) it really adds to the durability of the body without adding too much weight. It does get a little messy if you don't let it dry and you try to pull the maskings.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

I've done several Mustangs. I just use shoo goo or Goop (Autozone) and no tape or hardware. I do the glue between the pieces sparingly. When that's done and dry, I re coat the seams on the inside with a thick coat. Works great.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

A few of my VTA shells over the year.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-100_3483.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-100_3482.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camarovta.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.