Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheese Cloth

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Cheese Cloth

If anyone has seen that one episode of Monster Garage with the Nut Shacker,you saw the paint guy use cheese cloth to make a wood like grain in the flames. Well I tried the samething and could not keep the cheese cloth down,anyone know of a trick to do it? I'm thinking about using a foam brush and paste it on to get the un-even grid patern but have no idea how bad that might come out. So please help me.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

i would try it on a piece of lexan first before you waste a body on it
Old 04-30-2003, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

whats chesse cloth?
Old 05-01-2003, 06:07 AM
Tech Adept

You might try an aerosol called Stencil Tack. Its a mild adhesive that is sprayed on mylar stencils to hold them in place for painting. Just spray it lightly on the cheesecloth and give it a few minutes for the solvent to dry and then lay it on the body lightly.

I would definitely try this on a scrap of lexan first.

Kevin
Old 05-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

I've saw him do it but i think it will be really tough to do on a RC car
Old 05-02-2003, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

I`ve been looking at faux wood finishes and think I may have come up with something that will work. Try spraying a coat of dark or medium brown and let it set for a minute or two then take a coarse dry brush, and in only one direction,drag it lightly along the body.You may have to experiment with textures to get the desired grain. what this will do is cause a streak pattern to apear as you rub the dark paint off. Allow it to dry then spray a lighter shade of brown/tan to fill in the streaks. They do this in reverse to create a wood grain on ceramics.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

i think the cheese cloth layed on the truck just from gravity or the paint was still tacky
Old 05-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Well I tried it on a piece of glass and it looks decent but it is hard to do on a curved body but I tried anyways and it did come out nice. Not exactly what I wanted but a good starting point,hehehehe.

Hey Apex I will try that and if you ever come down to Oklahoma City stop by Competition RC and look at the body,will be there this saturday and next and might try to goto the invitaional but have to see if the big car will run or not.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:19 AM
Tech Adept

Not sure when I'll get back to the city, but I know my folks will be doing the Affair of the Heart show at the fairgrounds. I always stop by and see James when I get down there.

Kevin
Old 05-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

yeah i saw that and i have been thinking about doing it, but i want someone else to try it first.