Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree454Likes

Your Custom Paintjobs

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Its been a while....did a very quick one for myself to get back into it before starting on customers!!

Old 11-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You Brit...do u ever find it harder to paint for yourself then for a customer? I think i am my worst customer..i never know what i want.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I agree with you r charlie_b. I am my worst customer. I can do something that I think I messed up on and someone will see it and want it and tell me it looks great. I think as painters we are all our worst customers. We always want something more out of ourselves when painting our bodies.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

AMEN!!! glad i not the only one!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

here is one from franks bodies in action at the nats at speedline.
Attached Thumbnails Your Custom Paintjobs-my-car.jpg  
Old 11-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by charlie_b
You Brit...do u ever find it harder to paint for yourself then for a customer? I think i am my worst customer..i never know what i want.
I sit for hours drawing the designs on the body, then wiping it off, by the end of it i can hardly see through the sharpie leftover!

I decided to make mine pretty simple from now on - spend time on others...HOWEVER it did cross my mind after doing this one, that I am my own advertising.....maybe next time I willl do the opposite!!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by charlie_b
no kiddin... I've got at least 3 shells for me that I just can't settle on painting because I just have no idea what I want...
Old 11-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

JJ187RC - Thats true....if i let a line run, or some otehr small error, I am pi$$ed at myself....

The one thing that made me feel good, was a close up of a shop UFO paint scheme, it was not perfect!!! Since then, I am a little easier on myself if i slightly screw up.

I have once coughed up for another body after a really unfortunate series of events.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

I keep trying designs like you guys in the USA use but I don't know if the Brits are ready for this yet

Old 11-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BritRacer
JJ187RC - Thats true....if i let a line run, or some otehr small error, I am pi$$ed at myself....

The one thing that made me feel good, was a close up of a shop UFO paint scheme, it was not perfect!!! Since then, I am a little easier on myself if i slightly screw up.

I have once coughed up for another body after a really unfortunate series of events.
Same with Aldus... When I saw the extreme closeups of his headlights, I could start to pick up the spray errors and bleeds...

Whenever I see a nice body at the track I like to look at it and see where it went wrong
Old 11-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

I sit for hours drawing the designs on the body, then wiping it off, by the end of it i can hardly see through the sharpie leftover!

I decided to make mine pretty simple from now on - spend time on others...HOWEVER it did cross my mind after doing this one, that I am my own advertising.....maybe next time I willl do the opposite!!

I have a mazda body right now that I'm painting for a customer... A week ago it had a completely different and extremely intricate design drawn on it that I was experimenting with... Then I got a commission and I erased the whole thing...

I took pictures of it, because it was interesting, but this sort of thing I have a habit of doing... Drawing something absurdly busy, then erasing it because someone wants a body that won't take me a month to cut masking for.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

well it is good to know we can all relate..and yes..there are so many mistakes us painters make that not a lot of people notice. But think about it..if it was perfect..it would not be custom!!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

try dry erase or overhead projector marker
itll clean off better than a sharpie
just not as permanent
Old 11-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

the only problem i have found with those pens is when I am handling it, the lines rub off....
Old 11-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Talking

Isn't it funny how EVERY paint job you do has something wrong with it?

I think its the nature of the beast. That and we are doing the impossible by painting in reverse/inside out/on the INSIDE of the body.

BTW, for those that don't know... Denatured Alcohol removes Sharpie marks completely.

I have a large batch to paint... thanks to my customers for being patient... I have just been so busy... real job and so forth...

Great work all. Charlie, stop it! just stop it! Every time I think I'm getting good... poof....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.