Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree454Likes

Your Custom Paintjobs

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I wasn't trying to compare the Faskolor to the old PActra lacquers, I was talking about their new water based paints called RC Acryl. It's a water based acrylic, but it doesn't look feel or shoot like Faskolor/Createx.

Anyone have experiences/tips using the new Pactra acrylics? I'm not really liking them much yet.

Thanks,
Trips
Old 04-03-2002, 05:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here it is, my latest creation. Hope ya like it.

I used Parma Red for the boarder, Parma Silver, and Pactra Spray Flourescent Yellow.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

KevinK2- I believe he was speaking of the new Pactra acrylics, which I have found much easier to use than parma or createx, and is also non-toxic, I believe you where mistaking and thinking he meant the old pactra laqueirs.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by TSR6

I spray much, much, much lower than that. I think around 15-20psi if i remember correctly. I know i do not go over 30psi, ever. I have sprayed as low as 10psi, and thats when i start to "sputter"

-Troy
Troy, I've got Parma's brochure and directions in front of me and they state:

"When using an airbrush, use between 40 lbs. and 70lbs. PSI with a medium tip. This paint appears thick, but is ready to spray or brush right out of the bottle".

I wish I could get that stuff to shoot at the pressure you're using, but it gets spitty for me under 30 lbs. I'm sure enviromental variables come in to play, as well as the type of airbrush you're using. What kind of brush are you using anyway, maybe I should try using what you're using?!

Acryl is not widely available for some reason around So Cal, Createx is about half the price of Faskolor at my local art supply shop, and much easier to find.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Trips
I wasn't trying to compare the Faskolor to the old PActra lacquers, I was talking about their new water based paints called RC Acryl. It's a water based acrylic, but it doesn't look feel or shoot like Faskolor/Createx.

Anyone have experiences/tips using the new Pactra acrylics? I'm not really liking them much yet.

Thanks,
Trips
Trips, how does the Acryl feel different?
Old 04-04-2002, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

kevink2,

The Pactra acrylic comes out of the bottle somewhat thinner than Faskolor, and it seems to dry quicker, because every time I'm ready to change colors, there's some of the paint dried onto the inside of the color cup. Makes it a bit of a pain to change colors, with Faskolor it was just rinse and backflush and you're ready for the next color, the Pactra acrylic needs to be scrubbed out of the cup at color change time. The Faskolor never seemed to dry in the brush like that. I've also had to clear the gun a few times when using the Pactra acrylic, even though it looks thinner, it does seem to have a tendency to clog the tip on me, if I don't clear the tip every couple of minutes, the paint volume gets smaller and smaller.

Shooting Faskolor seems a lot easier to me... I don't thin it out, I go right from the bottle, and with the gravity feed gun I can shoot as low as 20 lbs and get decent results.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:26 AM
Tech Regular

hers one that i made... i used createx for all the colors... but the teal color is combined with createx pearl blue and faskolor white
Attached Thumbnails Your Custom Paintjobs-stratusatpearl.jpg  
Old 04-05-2002, 05:23 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

kevin - I know what they say, as that is what i started with. I know the PSI you should spray at varies from airbrush to airbrush slightly, but that is what i have found to like. I tried spraying it at 40+ PSI, and it went e v e r y w h e r e ... LOL. The highest i have sprayed it was 55psi, and that was nuts. I could probably spray peanut butter at that, as the thin paint just vaporized, never to be seen again... exept in this little haze

heh..

-Troy
Old 04-05-2002, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

TSR6: Peanut butter, I love it! Just have to strain it to get the pesky peanut chunks out! Lol Like I said I wish I could spray at that low a pressure (which brush do you use?).

Trips: thanks for your two cents- that clogging thing sucks. Weird that it would set so fast inside the brush. Speaking of straining, could be some chunky stuff in the paint bottle too. I know the full size car painters will strain their paints to remove impurities before they load it up, but never went through the hassle myself, although I have been tempted, just to see what it comes up with.

Koya Dale.com:
I like the color combo!
Old 04-05-2002, 06:25 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by kevink2
TSR6: Peanut butter, I love it! Just have to strain it to get the pesky peanut chunks out! Lol Like I said I wish I could spray at that low a pressure (which brush do you use?).
Skippy Creamy, not chunky, lol .

It is an Iwata HP-CS.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by kevink2
Like I said I wish I could spray at that low a pressure (which brush do you use?)
I'm using three airbrushes, a Badger 360 Universal, an Aztek 470, and an Iwata Eclipse CS.

Both the Iwata and the Badger are gravity feed (actually the Badger can do gravity feed or suction feed) and the Aztek is a side feed.

I find I can shoot Faskolor straight from the bottle as low as 20-25 lbs with the Iwata or the Badger in gravity feed mode, with the Aztek I have to go higher, maybe 30-35 lbs, and with the badger in suction feed mode I have to go even higher yet.

Trips
Old 04-06-2002, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

kevink: thanks
Old 04-06-2002, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

I have played around with anywhere from 15-55 psi on my eclipse CS and I haven't really decided where I like it. I find that with the higher psi I get a finer mist which is good, but I get more overspray, while it is the other way around with lower psi.

Speedo
Old 04-06-2002, 09:07 PM
Tech Rookie

my first air brush body ( although its with all hard edges )

i think i could have use colors that contrasted better

steve

Last edited by SteveRuff; 04-06-2002 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for your input and feedback guys. Seems like a lot of us like those Iwata brushes! If anyone's interested I've got my Iwata Smart Jet compressor for sale on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1719967029

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.