Search
Like Tree454Likes

Your Custom Paintjobs

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ripdog25
Hey guys, I just picked up my first airbrush over Christmas and finally got a body done. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted it to look like so I just trying some things and this is how it came out. Any tips, tricks, or advice you could throw my way would be much appreciated.

I really have to say there's a lot of great painters on this forum so keep up the great work because it's very inspiring!
Tip 1. Paint me one.
Tip 2. Paint me one.
Tip 3. Paint me one.

Awesome job!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Ripdog25;10313534]Hey guys, I just picked up my first airbrush over Christmas and finally got a body done. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted it to look like so I just trying some things and this is how it came out. Any tips, tricks, or advice you could throw my way would be much appreciated.QUOTE

It looks great, I think you can give me some tips! How much time do you have in that?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default my new cover

Your Custom Paintjobs-img_20120211_004446.jpgYour Custom Paintjobs-img_20120211_004430.jpg hi all this is my new cover first time ive ever done somthing like this and i thonk it turned out well , just let u know i used spray cans hope u all like it as much as i do
Old 02-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ripdog25
Hey guys, I just picked up my first airbrush over Christmas and finally got a body done. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted it to look like so I just trying some things and this is how it came out. Any tips, tricks, or advice you could throw my way would be much appreciated.

I really have to say there's a lot of great painters on this forum so keep up the great work because it's very inspiring!
I like it too Ripdog, my only question is a question to all...the MESH, how to you guys get to lay out? I have some of the material, but I can't get it to lay down on the inside concave curves well enough to get crisp lines.

I was going to try to spray it with some spray adhesive. My hope was that it would be sticky enough to temporarily attach itself to the lexan. Sort of like how a Post-it note works.

If it was over the outside of the shell, like when I've painted motorcycle tanks, it would cling just fine. But on the inside...how?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

First time with an airbrush. Createx pathalo green and wicked silver.
Attached Thumbnails Your Custom Paintjobs-eco-028.jpg  
Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Last edited by rcuser67898578; 12-12-2023 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I like it too Ripdog, my only question is a question to all...the MESH, how to you guys get to lay out? I have some of the material, but I can't get it to lay down on the inside concave curves well enough to get crisp lines.
I was going to try to spray it with some spray adhesive. My hope was that it would be sticky enough to temporarily attach itself to the lexan. Sort of like how a Post-it note works.
If it was over the outside of the shell, like when I've painted motorcycle tanks, it would cling just fine. But on the inside...how?
The best way is to have it cut in masking sheet material, so it has a workable adhesive backing that won't leave any goo behind when removed. It is really pretty simple if the correct stuff is used. It can be pricey to have it cut though, depending on who you use. I use Tom he can be resched at [email protected] . He offers reasonable completion times and VERY reasonable rates. Check him out and see what he can do for you, tell him I sent you.

[QUOTE=Johnny-RC;10315865]Did this for a good friend and local racer. First time attempting carbon fiber effects.

Nice job, looks well done to me.

Here are a couple of mine while i'm in here....

Jim
W.E.D.
www.wedjim.com
Old 02-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow! Thanks guys for the nice comments.

t3gt > Thanks!

Chris > Thanks for the comments Chris, I really admire your work. I think I'm following what you're saying. Use the pen to rough it in then when cutting, let the knife curve and flow even if you go outside the lines. Am I getting this right?

Jim > Thanks Jim and I really like that "Kicker" body you just put up. Great colors!

jwmustang > HaHa, it'll be a little while before I get comfortable doing one for somebody else. The learning curve kinda bites, but I know I've gotta put the time in.

1967rs > I lost count how many hours after the first couple weeks. Rough estimate around 60 hours in 3 weeks, pretty sad I'd say

IndyHobbies.com > I did exactly what you said, used spray adhesive. I also ran into the same problem you mentioned (pulling up). I think it was mostly due to having to stretch the material (hexagon shape) to get the snake skin look. A few times it pulled up before painting and I was able to redo it (wiped up glue w/ thinner), but other times the paint seemed to loosen the mesh after a couple of coats and I got some "blow-by" spots. I also noticed that the fluorescent green would "fish eye" in certain areas. Not sure if it was contaminants on the plastic or a reaction to the adhesive (I was using all water-based paints). After going through this I would have to agree with Jim (way more experienced than me) that the better way would be to use cut masking material.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Happy enough with my painting level now, now onto sorting out photography!

Thanks for looking.

WED your paint is crazy, it's so inspiring.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ripdog got it right. The main thing I would do is de-tack the hell out of it after you use the 3m low-tack spray. I used a clean piece of shiny cardboard (diaper box) and stuck the mesh and peeled it off and on at least 30 times to be sure it wouldn't leave a residue. Also, use low pressure light mists of the paint for the first coats...to prevent fish eyes.

And Ripdog...I was referring to the sharpness of the tips of the flames and spikes. Yes...you got it right! I'm bad at explaining things...That's why I always use pictures, lol.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sk3tch
Also, use low pressure light mists of the paint for the first coats...to prevent fish eyes.
I have a lot bigger problem with fish eyes when using the neons than anything. Dont know why that would be. On the opaques, it hardly ever happens.

I'm super carefully about washing my bodies with filtered water and using a clean cotton towel to dry with, so I don't think its contaminants on the surface, and I have a moisture/oil trap inline on the air hose. So, my summation is that its the paint that causes it sometimes? Dunno, but it is frustrating. Light coats helps a lot.

Photos are of a HPI "Venom" truck body I did. Its not too fancy, but I like how clean, low and mean it looks. Faskolor paints. Neons and white.

Attached Thumbnails Your Custom Paintjobs-venomtruckbody-001r.jpg   Your Custom Paintjobs-venomtruckbody-004r.jpg   Your Custom Paintjobs-venomtruckbody-002r.jpg   Your Custom Paintjobs-venomtruckbody-003r.jpg  
Old 02-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

Love the Kicker theme W.E.D. Very nice!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Last edited by rcuser67898578; 12-12-2023 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Thanks guys!

Here are a couple more...

The Ivan version...

Jim
W.E.D.
www.wedjim.com
Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have a lot bigger problem with fish eyes when using the neons than anything. Dont know why that would be. On the opaques, it hardly ever happens.

I'm super carefully about washing my bodies with filtered water and using a clean cotton towel to dry with, so I don't think its contaminants on the surface, and I have a moisture/oil trap inline on the air hose. So, my summation is that its the paint that causes it sometimes? Dunno, but it is frustrating. Light coats helps a lot.
your fisheye come from applying too thick of coats, especially with transparents and fluorescents. They are thinner paints and fish eye easier. The require multiple very light coats to achieve good coverage. Transparents are the worst. at times i have to make 8-10 passes to get the coverage and depth i want. You just have to be very carefull with them, if you have a blow dryer it makes it quicker, mist a first coat on and hit it with the blow dryer, mist your second and do the same, etc... a blow dryer works better than a heat gun and most of the times doesnt get hot enough to boil your paint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.