Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Can someone Vacuum a Shell for me? >

Can someone Vacuum a Shell for me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can someone Vacuum a Shell for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I guess it might look a little strange to see a ghost driving this thing. I was too lazy to model up a driver/helmet, but I might add one to the final design.
The only place I wanted an undercut was on the nose cone. I wanted it to actually protrude a little bit. Maybe I'll sculpt a bit on the final resin mold and put an undercut there.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A small undercut at the nose shouldnt cause any issues on the shell removal.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would the hemet cause any major issues with airflow.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Birky
Would the hemet cause any major issues with airflow.

dun think so coz the heigh n width of the helmet is more or less the same as the roll over bar behind it
Old 06-10-2006, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

If you look at the graphics of the airflow tests that Sam has done, the helmet and such would be in the "hole" in the air made by the slope of the front end. In essence, it would be riding in a vacuum. So no, it would have no aerodynamic effects on the body.

Tony
Old 06-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Any more news SammyXp?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Birky
Any more news SammyXp?
Actually I just finished coating the FDM proto mold in MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) to bind the strands together and strengthen it. Next up is some filler and a lot of sanding to smooth out the topography and get it ready for a pull.

As I always say - this thread is useless without pics. So here they are:

Old 06-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SammyXp
Actually I just finished coating the FDM proto mold in MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) to bind the strands together and strengthen it. Next up is some filler and a lot of sanding to smooth out the topography and get it ready for a pull.

As I always say - this thread is useless without pics. So here they are:

That's lookin' pretty sweet man, I wouldn't mind painting one myself. Although, I have to say, I think it would benefit the body a lot (aesthetically) if it had a driver.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

nice work Sammy.

like you said, you can always add the driver later as an optional addon.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, modeling up the driver has turned out to be a royal waste of time, so I think I'm going to just buy a body with a driver in it and do a little bit of cut and pasting. Anyone have a beat up body that has a driver that they'd like to donate for a small fee?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Not sure if someone already mentioned it, maybe you could bolt on a driver head from a tamiya kit? Im pretty sure you can buy them seperate (and i have a stack of them too). Much easier than trying to mold a helmet... PLus you can swap it from body to body.

Awesome work there. Ive got a tonne of ideas for body shells, but no idea where to start!.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by axle182
Not sure if someone already mentioned it, maybe you could bolt on a driver head from a tamiya kit? Im pretty sure you can buy them seperate (and i have a stack of them too). Much easier than trying to mold a helmet... PLus you can swap it from body to body.

Awesome work there. Ive got a tonne of ideas for body shells, but no idea where to start!.
Do you have a part number? This is exactly what I was hoping to be able to do. That way the individual could decide whether they wanted a driver or not.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:20 AM
Tech Adept

Sammy,

Do you think you have some finished by late september?? Id like to paint one for the ALMS race here in October I did one of Wallyburgers 18th scale last year and the audi team loved it. I think you may have seen it. on another thread .
Attached Thumbnails Can someone Vacuum a Shell for me?-pa150026.jpg  
Old 06-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by byron.s
Sammy,

Do you think you have some finished by late september?? Id like to paint one for the ALMS race here in October I did one of Wallyburgers 18th scale last year and the audi team loved it. I think you may have seen it. on another thread .
September sounds like a good timeframe. I'm actually planning on being at the Petit LeMans in Atlanta on Sep 30, so I really wanted to have it done by then. I saw your other thread where you met the team. How did you manage that? Just walked up and asked them to sign it?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SammyXp
Do you have a part number? This is exactly what I was hoping to be able to do. That way the individual could decide whether they wanted a driver or not.
Sam cant seem to find a part number of just the drivers head, but the std hornet/grasshopper Z part tree has the driver head and shoulders. I think this part is dirt cheap anyhow, so its still a viable option. I have a few used F201 shells i can re use the heads. LMK when you get one of these bodies done, im very interested BTW, have a big meeting here in Mid August, too early? cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.