• 1 Post By mooby64

Need advice spraying liquid mask

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Need advice spraying liquid mask

Hello,

Getting back into RC and painting after a long absence.

I have an HVLP gun that I would like to spray the liquid mask with. Do you thin the LM at all? What pressure do you use with an HVLP? Needle size?

How many just use a regular airbrush to spray the LM with ?

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers,

John
Old 05-22-2024, 08:35 PM
Tech Initiate

So far I have only used an HVLP gun with a 2.0 tip, no thinning and spray 4 coats for large 5th scale bodies. I have seen these as cheap as $25 on eBay.

I'm not not sure if a 1.5 or 1.0 tip will work. Maybe with some thinning is required. I have never heard of anyone using an airbrush to apply LM. IMO, it would be a wasted of time with the thinning and multiple coats. I would rather apply the LM with a foam brush.
justicepool likes this.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bittydesign mask with a 1.5 HVLP directly from the bottle around 35psi on my compressor. I don’t use the regulator for my airbrush with the HVLP gun. Minimum 3 coats because I’ve had miserable time peeling mask in the past when too thin.

FWIW, there are tutorials that use an airbrush at 50psi. I’m sure they had to thin it even at 50psi.
justicepool likes this.
Old 05-25-2024, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you are only painting 1 or 2 bodies at a time, you might want to brush the mask on. Over the years I have painted thousands of bodies and always have used a 1 inch paint brush to apply liquid mask. It allowed me to regulate how much mask I was applying and there was little to no waste. I would apply 4 or 5 thin coats, drying them with a hair dryer. Good Luck.
justicepool likes this.