• 1 Post By shortcut3d
  • 1 Post By petersen114
  • 1 Post By TurnNBurn

Best way to do window frames?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 06:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Best way to do window frames?

Just got my new raw speed rs-3 for my 22X-4 and ive never successfully been able to colour window frames.. How do you guys do them? any good vids?
Old 10-12-2023, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are a couple methods:
  1. Place painters tape over the windows and use the indented shape as a guide to create the mask outline. Then move the tape to a flat self healing board. Trace an inner line around your outline. Score both lines while flat on the self healing board. Transfer to window.
  2. Draw two sets of lines around the windows. Score the mask (liquid or tape) following both sets of lines.
  3. Try spacing the blade 2-3mm and score/trim around a single line. Here’s a tool on Amazon Excel Blades 30608 Dual Strip Cutter, Dual Twin Blade Knife Parallel Number 59 Blades, Adjustable Width Strip Cutter, Cutting Tool for Paper, Clay etc https://a.co/d/hc2XnSF

In full transparency, I’ve only done 1&2. Option one is easier to be consistent but it makes it much harder to do with multicolor designs. Works really well if you have a solid color and want a contrasting window frame.
cartmen34 likes this.
Old 10-21-2023, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What I do is install the provided body window masks, draw lines in pencil where you want to make the window frame and cut with xacto. This can be difficult to impossible in some situations.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

I re-make the widow masks with the cutouts and cut them out on a plotter.
Kregger likes this.
Old 10-23-2023, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

I’ve thought about this, but have not actually tried it yet - it might be possible to paint them with a paint marker after the window masks are removed, so long as you have a steady hand to keep the thickness of the border consistent around all edges of all windows…

But if you have access to a vinyl cutter, I like the idea above. You can always scan the original masks so that you can create an updated design with the precut frame.🙂
petersen114 likes this.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Pickup some 1/8 inch auto pin striping or tamiya 3mm vinyl tape for curves. Lay the tape down around the frame, apply supplied window mask that comes with body, have light source behind the body and use the darker shadow of the pin striping as guide to cut the window mask. Perfect lines every time and you can use it for windshield/rear window/door sills. You can control the lines in case the supplied mask isn’t quite the right shape as the molded lines of the body.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Personally, I don't like wide framing. If you want very fine framing, I use a Sharpie Oil Based Paint Pen, and paint it on the outside. It is very durable and doesn't chip off if you wipe with alcohol first. They come in many colors. If you make a mistake while free-handing the lines, it can be easily removed using alcohol if not fully cured. The fine lines give a nice finished look without big boxy outlines.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:51 PM
Tech Initiate

I sketch my trim line on the inside of the window masking and hand cut with a fresh xacto blade, light pressure. Takes practice to cut a steady line. I'm right handed and tend to prefer cutting toward me, or from left to right.