Search
Like Tree5Likes

Coming back after 5yrs, Help.LoL

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default Coming back after 5yrs, Help.LoL

pulled out my paints, getting back into RC But, i always used testors pactra racing paints ( i believe are lacquer based)which i thinned with paint thinner and they are discontinued.. Are there any other compatible paints out there that i can also use paint thinner with for Lexan bodies?? any and all suggestions would be appreciated
Old 05-18-2023, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

I’m afraid the writing has been on the Wall for enamels for years now - I switched to acrylics many years ago when even the bottled Pactra paints were starting to get harder to find. Right now, Tamiya and Duratrax are the only brands with non-acrylic paints formulated for use on Lexan, but you can only get those in spray cans.

I would consider transitioning to Acrylics… take a look at Createx, or Pro-Line/Parma Faskolor lines (IIRC, they are all ultimately made by Createx anyway). They are pretty much already thinned out to paint straight out of the bottle - I also recently tried Liquitex Soft body acrylics with their airbrush medium to good results. The color palettes are a bit “interesting” though, so expect to do a little color mixing here and there with those, depending on the colors you want.

One thing you MUST do with acrylics, especially for Nitro powered cars, is add a backer layer. For this I’m using the very last bit of Pactra cans I have, but I’ll eventually go to Tamiya/Duratrax to add an enamel backing that’s a little more fuel resistant.
jabroni racing likes this.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Thank you- .. I appreciate it..
Old 05-18-2023, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
I’m afraid the writing has been on the Wall for enamels for years now - I switched to acrylics many years ago when even the bottled Pactra paints were starting to get harder to find. Right now, Tamiya and Duratrax are the only brands with non-acrylic paints formulated for use on Lexan, but you can only get those in spray cans.

I would consider transitioning to Acrylics… take a look at Createx, or Pro-Line/Parma Faskolor lines (IIRC, they are all ultimately made by Createx anyway). They are pretty much already thinned out to paint straight out of the bottle - I also recently tried Liquitex Soft body acrylics with their airbrush medium to good results. The color palettes are a bit “interesting” though, so expect to do a little color mixing here and there with those, depending on the colors you want.

One thing you MUST do with acrylics, especially for Nitro powered cars, is add a backer layer. For this I’m using the very last bit of Pactra cans I have, but I’ll eventually go to Tamiya/Duratrax to add an enamel backing that’s a little more fuel resistant.
Tamiya has acrylics as well i see on amains site but can i use those on rc bodies?? how do i know if they are flexible enough?? are any acrylics for airbrush able to be used
Old 05-19-2023, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
Tamiya has acrylics as well i see on amains site but can i use those on rc bodies?? how do i know if they are flexible enough?? are any acrylics for airbrush able to be used
It’s tough to say - Tamiya has a very diverse line of products, so unless their product information says that it’s suitable for polycarbonate, I don’t know how well it will hold up. Even Createx paints’ Auto-Air and Wicked lines are formulated slightly differently from their main line, so they require additives to promote adhesion (which of course they offer as well.). I wish I could be more helpful there, but I have absolutely no experience with Tamiya paints.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Normal Tamiya acrylics paints (X and XF series) are not made for our RC polycarbonate / lexan bodies but for their plastic models.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

pulled out my paints, getting back into RC But, i always used testors pactra racing paints ( i believe are lacquer based)which i thinned with paint thinner and they are discontinued.. Are there any other compatible paints out there that i can also use paint thinner with for Lexan bodies?? any and all suggestions would be appreciated
SpazStix is still around and they are solvent based thinned with lacquer thinner. It’s all I use. I don’t like acrylics the least bit.
cartmen34 and jabroni racing like this.
Old 05-26-2023, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

I went with Createx bought at local hobby lobby and used distilled water to thin, Works Awesome... TY... thank god i still have my old metal flake i pre-mixed from back in the day.. Does Createx Have a Metal Flake, I cant seem to find it.. I spary metal flake on my main color area on my bodies before color, love the bass boat look. LOL

Last edited by jabroni racing; 05-26-2023 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

I went with Createx bought at local hobby lobby and used distilled water to thin, Works Awesome... TY... thank god i still have my old metal flake i pre-mixed from back in the day.. Does Createx Have a Metal Flake, I cant seem to find it.. I spary metal flake on my main color area on my bodies before color, love the bass boat look. LOL

A word of caution on using water to thin Createx paints. Use an extremely small amount - they recommend 10% per volume at most. It's better to use their 4011 reducer for what you need. It's in the TDS.

As for their flakes and pearls, it's on their website under the Wicked Colors line.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

I had no issues when i thinned with distilled water, using a iwata with a little under 30psi. ration was more then 10%.. a few videos i saw was 3 drops water to 10 drops paint, i used that but went a little thinner with black for shadowing. Once i backed it, seems fine...
Old 05-26-2023, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

I had no issues when i thinned with distilled water, using a iwata with a little under 30psi. ration was more then 10%.. a few videos i saw was 3 drops water to 10 drops paint, i used that but went a little thinner with black for shadowing. Once i backed it, seems fine...

You're going to lose adhesion if you follow the video instead of Createx's TDS. They warn against going over 10%.
Old 05-27-2023, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sabin
You're going to lose adhesion if you follow the video instead of Createx's TDS. They warn against going over 10%.
Not to mention using the Createx flexible adhesion promoter.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:27 AM
Tech Initiate

I've shot Createx and Autoair without an adhesion promoter and it seemed to work. Is the promoter needed for durability?
Old 06-02-2023, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rinskie
I've shot Createx and Autoair without an adhesion promoter and it seemed to work. Is the promoter needed for durability?
Durability and flexibility. One knock on the shell you painted and you'll have a chunk of paint come right off.

The technique that seems to be working for me is a light scuff on the body with the softest scotch-brite available, shoot two or three coats of UVLS clear and then the colours.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

my iwata has a .3 nozzle maybe thats why i had to thin a little more?? I will practice more with thinning less and go up on air pressure?? thoughts??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.