Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Body panel seam lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Body panel seam lines

I picked up my Speed 12 today and am anxious to get started on painting it. However, I want to take my time and pay extra attention to detail so it doesn't end up like my freak of a B4. I figured since its a little to humid to paint I'd get started on blacking the seams where the "body panels" meet (in this case its just the doors) and around the windows. I remembered hearing somewhere that a Sharpie makes a good substitue for a lining brush so I tried it...and it does. My only problem is that I have rather unsteady hands and I keep slipping off of the raised lines on the inside of the body. Would it be safe to do this step last on the outside of the body in the rescesses? If anyone is curious, the fineshed product should look something like the old blue and orange GT-40. I'll post pics when I'm done.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:38 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can do it on the outside, but it looks worse since it's obvious it was drawn on. That and if you plan to race the body you'll eventually want to clean it, and anything that takes off the tire marks will also take off the sharpie lines.

If you're dead set on having lines along the body edges, try masking them. You should be able to use two pieces of tape to create your line and then fill with a sharpie. You can take it one line at a time, and then free hand the corners and any tight spots.