Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Fade to white spray can painting trick >

Fade to white spray can painting trick

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JPat
  • 1 Post By JPat

Fade to white spray can painting trick

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 11:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Lightbulb Fade to white spray can painting trick

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I wanted to share a trick I did, when painting an Arrma Typhon body with Tamiya spray cans. The thing is most of the fade painting is done within the confinement of a dark color and that wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted to fade from purple to pink to pearl white (main color), without leaving any masking tape marks. I did mask the whole body to prevent the overspray of purple and pink, which would have ruined the pearl white, but I overlayed cotton balls (unrolled, straighten and taped) on the masking tape to prevent the overspray from reaching the tape. I assume the paint has a static charge, is then attracted to the cotton ball and that naturally causes the paint to fade completely under them.
To help understand, here are some pictures:

And here is the final result:

I don't know about you, but I think it's beautiful and I sure hope my little niece thinks the same

It would be nice to see someone (not me) paint a "cloud" body or a "fade camo" body, with this technique (using cotton balls everywhere).

I sure hope this idea helps some and that others will find ways to improve it.

Paint:
Tamiya PS-58 Pearl clear (base precoat for the whole body for a pearl pink and purple effect),
Tamiya PS-10 Purple (mostly opaque),
Tamiya PS-29 Fluorescent pink (a little bit translucent but it is not PS-40 Translucent pink),
Tamiya PS-57 Pearl white (for an eggshell main color and also the undercoat for the pink and purple)
Sharky8js likes this.

Last edited by JPat; 03-01-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

The result is good. But I don't understand clearly, how you attach the cotton ball.
btw are you paint it with opaque colour?
Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

paint job is sweet!!!
I dont understand about the cotton balls either.... how you kept it from scalloping
Old 03-01-2019, 10:44 PM
Tech Rookie

b.wihardja, the thing with the cotton balls is that I had to fade the overspray before it could reach the masking tape. To fade within this 3/4", I taped the cotton ball (which was unrolled) directly at the end of the mask of the rest of the body.

In an other way, I masked the part I wanted totally protected from overspray (nearly the whole body) and then I faded this mask with an unrolled cotton ball, which was fixed with another piece of tape to wedge/hold it in place.

The paint I used was:
Tamiya PS-58 Pearl clear (base precoat for the whole body for a pearl pink and purple effect),
Tamiya PS-10 Purple (mostly opaque),
Tamiya PS-29 Fluorescent pink (a little bit translucent but it is not PS-40 Translucent pink),
Tamiya PS-57 Pearl white (for an eggshell main color and also the undercoat for the pink and purple)
Old 03-01-2019, 10:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Sharky8js, I understand I forgot to mention that the cotton balls can be unrolled in a linear and uniform piece of cotton. For each side, I unrolled only one cotton ball and straighten it before taping it on the part I wanted to be faded.

I would advise you to try it first on a disposable piece of plastic, cause I don't want you to waste your project.

BTW you made me hungry with your scallops.
Sharky8js likes this.