Search
Like Tree3Likes

Jato The Mudboss

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Jato The Mudboss

I went to a new, local RC dirt oval to watch the racing. My local off-road track closed down a couple of years ago and I've been missing the competition ever since. Oval doesn't look as fun as off road because there are no jumps, but it still looked like a lot of fun so I decided to give it a shot. Instead of using my Associated SC10 to jump into the open modified class I decided to buy a Slash and start out in the stock class. I can't pass up an opportunity to buy a new RC! :lmao: Plus, I have never owned a Slash.

I wanted the black chassis and I love the Raptor body so that's what I chose. Plus, I've been wanting to get a second battery for my nephew since I bought him a Slash for his birthday last year. This truck is so well done by Traxxas. The body and bumper are awesome and Traxxas is stepping up the scale realism. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the body or sell it.

A brand new, wrapped box. Exciting! :mrgreen:

As a Chevy fan, even I can say this is a good looking truck! It's a shame it will never get driven in this state.

It cracks me up how many tags Traxxas puts on their vehicles. But that's also a sign of them being such a great company. They lay everything out for newbies.

Here she sits. The base to my Mudboss dirt oval track race car.

Now I wait for the body. I am having the graphics custom designed. After that he will print the wrap and install it on the body before shipping it.

I'm also going to install a few durability upgrades that are within this track's rules.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Where are you going to run it?
Old 05-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mudboss is a fun class. If your track allows it switch it out to a lcg chassis. https://www.facebook.com/groups/941672649176740/
Old 05-16-2017, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

First round of mods to the stock Slash. The rules limit upgrades to just a few Traxxas or RPM parts. I chose the aluminum parts from Traxxas. I got the caster blocks, steering blocks and rear axle carriers. The aluminum bell crank is on the way.

Aluminum parts against aluminum parts aren't a good idea, but I broke my own rule here. We'll see how they hold up. The tolerances between the aluminum parts on one side were close and nothing needed to be done. The other side had a larger gap so I installed a PTFE washer between the two parts on the top. Only one washer would fit.

I'm waiting for the bell crank. Then I have to rebuild the shocks with lighter weight oil and down travel spacers. Shocks are one of my least favorite tasks and I haven't had much uninterrupted free time so I'm putting them off. I'm not the best shock bleeder and my lack of patience works against me in situations like that. So I'm procrastinating.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by strodedawg
Where are you going to run it?
A new track in the Reading area called Ultimate RC Pitstop and possibly Seigfried's Race Center in Schuylkill Haven.

Originally Posted by Rather Race
Mudboss is a fun class. If your track allows it switch it out to a lcg chassis. https://www.facebook.com/groups/941672649176740/
It looks fun! I can't wait to join in.

The LCG chassis is not allowed in the stock class. It is allowed in the 13.5T class.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

I received and installed the aluminum bellcrank. Of course I forgot to take photos of that. Still to come.

I did find one issue. The aluminum steering knuckle, or steering block as Traxxas calls it, is hitting the A-arm. I was going to remove some material from the A-arm, but I didn't want to weaken it. I found that under its own weight the knuckle lifts up just enough to clear the A-arm. This is even with a Teflon washer installed at the top. So I'm going to leave this as-is unless I run into binding or other issues.

This Slash is about the fifth Traxxas that I've owned, but it's the first 1/10th scale electric Traxxas that I've owned. With every Traxxas I buy I am reminded that they have a quality level well above the bashing competition. They get a bad rap by the haters and that's something I don't understand and I find it laughable. Are they old designs? Yes. Do they have weak spots? Yes, but what basher doesn't? But the quality of the plastics is good, things fit together like they should, they have probably the best plastic shocks in all of RC, and when you get a Traxxas the attention to detail is unmatched. The manual is good and all of the tags, while funny for an RC veteran, explain everything for a first-time RCer. Good stuff in my opinion.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

When you lower the suspension for mudboss it should be fine
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

When you lower the suspension for mudboss it should be fine
Ah good point!
Old 05-18-2017, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

I was rebuilding my stock Big Bore shocks last night. During the reassembly I used the aluminum shock caps. At least two of the bladders got torn in the process. I don't understand. I've never had this happen before. Any suggestions or tips for building these shocks?

Also, does Traxxas sell just the replacement bladders?
Old 05-19-2017, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Well I found that Traxxas does sell just the bladders so, thankfully, I don't have to buy the whole rebuild kit. Traxxas P/N 1765.

Now does anybody have shock building tips for these Traxxas big bore shocks so it doesn't happen again?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

I got the final proof for my custom Mudboss body. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I can't wait to receive it!

Old 05-19-2017, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Looks great!!
Old 06-06-2017, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not a fan of wheel dot stickers. I think they look cheap. I still wanted the wheel insert look of full-size dirt oval cars so I modeled some up in SolidWorks and had them printed by Shapeways. These snap onto the stock Traxxas Raptor wheels. I left a center access hole for the nut driver for ease of use. I didn't want to have to remove, and possibly break, the wheel covers anytime I wanted to get to the wheel nut. I love how they turned out.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

can't wait to see final product, coming out nicely
Old 06-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

can't wait to see final product, coming out nicely
Thank you!

It should be done, but I received the body and the wrap is messed up. I'm not happy at all. The one side has a messed up #2 where the border is not centered. He bull is also too far forward and his horns are cut off. On top of this the wrap has damage which I assume is from all of the plastic pieces being shoved together in an envelope. I'm not impressed at all.

I contacted him via Facebook last night, which is how we've always communicated, and he saw the photos, but still hasn't responded. I'm getting irritated. Next weekend is a race that I hope will be my first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.