Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

1/5th Baja Oval Racing Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm starting to wonder why I bought a new hpi kit when im replacing every part on it with an aftermarket upgrade ....
ezlight likes this.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:42 AM
Tech Regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKABvkgZEyI
Old 12-11-2017, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
I'm starting to wonder why I bought a new hpi kit when im replacing every part on it with an aftermarket upgrade ....
That's why I go cheap and either get a KM or rovan. Once upgraded the way you want, it's all the same anyhow.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

I think the way things are going with all the upgrades & extra cost to keep up were going to see a need for a limited class ... Right now we don't have many rules to keep things in check ( Im talking cost ) So down the road we will see the additional cost lead to less racers ..... Than we will need a limited class ..... This will cause less racers in each class .... So if your track has 12 now ....You might have 8 in limited and 4 in the outlaw class ....
Old 12-12-2017, 10:19 AM

Trader Rating: 130 (100%+)

I think the way things are going with all the upgrades & extra cost to keep up were going to see a need for a limited class ... Right now we don't have many rules to keep things in check ( Im talking cost ) So down the road we will see the additional cost lead to less racers ..... Than we will need a limited class ..... This will cause less racers in each class .... So if your track has 12 now ....You might have 8 in limited and 4 in the outlaw class ....
Too many rules is what kills racing. Build it and race. I have done nothing to lighten any of my cars. If fact, adding a lot of the parts I do makes it heavier but much more reliable. I have never DNF'd in a feature.....never. You lighten things up, your looking for trouble of either bending or breaking parts. The track nearest to me, we are lucky to have 4 - 6 cars in Late Model, usually 3 or 4 mods and a couple sprints. Can afford to split any classes.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

Default Racing

Originally Posted by Packfan
Too many rules is what kills racing. Build it and race. I have done nothing to lighten any of my cars. If fact, adding a lot of the parts I do makes it heavier but much more reliable. I have never DNF'd in a feature.....never. You lighten things up, your looking for trouble of either bending or breaking parts. The track nearest to me, we are lucky to have 4 - 6 cars in Late Model, usually 3 or 4 mods and a couple sprints. Can afford to split any classes.
We have rules that keep racers from doing what ever ...... That's just a base to start from .... Look... i'm not complaining here .... I'm having a conversation about what is good for racing .... We went through all this with 1/8 oval racing .... Limited 1/8 th racing took off in our area when racers saw the cost difference in limited vs outlaw racing .... Last season at our track we had maybe 10 -15 late models average ..... You cant say build it and race it with zero rules .... That would be nuts too .... You'd have people with side damns on their cars ....Its about like the bull dog nose thing to me ...
Old 12-13-2017, 05:22 AM

We have rules that keep racers from doing what ever ...... That's just a base to start from .... Look... i'm not complaining here .... I'm having a conversation about what is good for racing .... We went through all this with 1/8 oval racing .... Limited 1/8 th racing took off in our area when racers saw the cost difference in limited vs outlaw racing .... Last season at our track we had maybe 10 -15 late models average ..... You cant say build it and race it with zero rules .... That would be nuts too .... You'd have people with side damns on their cars ....Its about like the bull dog nose thing to me ...
Different tracks get different numbers of racers. Where you have 20 late models showing up every race, I can agree with motor rules etc. But when you don't have that, you have to just let everyone race. Out West in off road, they have 3 divisions for each class. They are all the same rules, it is just broken down by driver skill level. They also get 30 plus trucks showing up. I 100% agree with different experience levels when you have enough racers to do that.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Do the off road racers/Tracks have a weight limit on 1/5th ?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:19 AM

None that I know of.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

I googled it ..... AARCMCC ..... Looks like the Aussies have rules on weight / engine sizes in place .... http://www.aarcmcc.org/docs/AARCMCC%...Jan%202016.pdf
Old 12-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

I see entry level & Stock level / Plus an outlaw class for 2wd ....
Old 12-17-2017, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Roar also has rules for the 1/5 onroad class ..... No traction control / weight limits etc ....http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/..._Rule_Book.pdf
Old 12-19-2017, 04:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not around here...
Old 12-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So I replaced the rovan shocks with hpi. I am running fronts all the way around. I just recieved the rc for less spring kit. Any idea's on a starting spot?
Old 12-24-2017, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

Default AUSTRALIAN DIRT MOD RULES

The ones posted earlier are for OFF ROAD not Oval the following are our Oval rules no mention of weight, which is good as I'm moving on from 1/8th off road to 1/5th Oval here in OZ and was looking at the carbon chassis

DIRT MODIFIED SPECIFICATIONS
1. GENERAL
1/1: Appearance must resemble full size V8 Dirt Modified Speedway Car
1/2: Must be based on Baja 5B Platform from the following Manufacturers HPI / Rovan Sport /
King Motor
1/3: Body is mandatory see body specifications below
1/4: Aluminium upgrade to replace plastic parts permitted
1/5: All measurement for this model are measured from extreme points
2. MODEL DIMENSIONS w/BODY FITTED
2/1: MODEL LENGTH w/Body Fitted (OVERALL Length): Maximum 910mm
2/2: MODEL WIDTH FRONT: Maximum 480mm
2/3: MODEL WIDTH REAR: Maximum 510mm
2/4: BODY: must be made from Plastic / Aluminium or Fiberglass
2/5: BODY: Maximum thickness of body panel material Plastic 3mm / Aluminium & Fiberglass
1.2mm
2/6: BODY: Maximum width 480mm
3. ENGINE
3/1: Maximum engine capacity 25.4cc (26cc) as supplied by engine manufacturer (26cc barrel kit
may be fitted to smaller engines but must be same specification i.e., 25.4cc standard 28mm
crank non stuffed.)
3/2: Engine must remain internally stock, NO internal modifications allowed
3/3: Air filter and exhaust may be changed (as per modifications outlined below)
3/4: Permitted engines are: Zenoah G230RC/G240RC/G260RC/G270RC or equivalent CY R230/
F230/R260/F260 or FUELIE (KS) engines and equivalent Rovan / King Motor Engines
3/5: Reed valve engines are NOT permitted
3/6: Ignition system must remain standard as per engine manufacturer including spark
plug lead, mechanically fixed timing coil only.
3/7: Flywheel must remain standard
3/8: Clutch must remain standard as fitted to listed engines 6k to 8k springs
3/9: Aftermarket Pull Start permitted with catch fitted on Flywheel
Version 1.4 – August 2017
Page 18
3A. ENGINE MODIFICATIONS
3A/1: EXHAUST: Non-standard is permitted and must not be longer than the body, must be
contained within the body. Engine Noise must not exceed 95Dba from a distance of 10M from
the model. Using an approved measuring device.
3A/2: INTAKE; Carburettor from listed engines only WT-603(x), 668, 989, (997), 771, 813 (998)
and 990 Bearing Modification on main shaft allowed. Removal of Choke shaft allowed.
3A/3: Non standard Intake manifold / Air filter are allowed. Maximum length of insulator blocks
31mm including gaskets.
3A/3: Spark plug may be changed no restriction
3A/4: Porting and Polishing is NOT permitted (No removal of any material)
3A/5: Gaskets must be paper type (production) and not home made NO copper gaskets
3A/6: Bearings must be of stainless steel type, NO ceramic material permitted
4. DRIVELINE
4/1: Rear wheel drive only
4/2: Locked differentials are NOT permitted
4/3: Multi speed gearbox is NOT permitted
4/4: Axle Extenders Permitted
5. FRONT AXLE
5/1: Standard as per manufacturer either e-clip or screwed in.
5/2: Axle Extenders Permitted
6. CHASSIS
6/1: Must resemble Standard 2 piece as per manufacturer (can be plastic, aluminium or carbon
fibre)
6/2: Stiffener plate can be fitted to front underside
7. NERF AND CRASH BARS
7/1: Front crash bars are allowed as per body specifications i.e., RPM Front Bumper
7/2: Rear crash bars may be fitted but must stay inside the confines of the body
Version 1.4 – August 2017
Page 19
8. BRAKES
8/1: Must be fitted and operational
8/2: Only manufacturer’s standard braking system allowed (disc mounted on hex hub of
driveshaft) Upgraded pads and discs allowed
8/3: Four wheel braking system is not permitted
9. SUSPENSION
9/1: Standard length as per manufacturer for 5B Front/Rear
9/2: Shock oil and springs not restricted
9/3: Maximum of 4 shocks only
10. WHEELS AND TYRES
10/1: Aftermarket copies are allowed but have same dimensions as original (Must be
commercially available for the Baja 5B)
10/2: Front = 170 x 60
Rear = 170 x 80
11. WINGS
11/1: Wings are NOT permitted but rear spoilers connected all the way along the rear of the
body are permitted and must not protrude outside of body
12. FUEL / TANK
12/1: Fuel = Unleaded / Premium unleaded with oil additive only, no other fuels or
additives are allowed
12/2: Tank = Must be mounted securely within vehicle
13. KILL SWITCH
13/1: Must be fitted and operational and may be identified by a blue triangle on body
13/2: Third Channel - Remote Kill Switch / Failsafe is mandatory and operational
14. RADIO / ELECTRICS
14/1: 2.4GHz band radio only
14/2: 'D' boxes/and or gyros are NOT allowed, includes any type of assistance e.g. AVC
14/3: ONE only Transponder is to be fitted as near as possible behind front axle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.