Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to oval, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default New to oval, need advice

Hey folks, I'm a touring car guy looking to get into some oval racing with a rc10gt2 nitro FT , EDM style. Simple questions, like any particular edm body not good to use, are there any issues with using the chassis it came with including things like the arms, etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I use to run oval back in the late eighties all over Jersey as a teenager, I'm sure a few things have changed. Thanks. Rob.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have a NTC3 and built a latemodel. I'm not sure on a edm body, but Mcalister makes latemodels to fit (9" wide). Start with 35wt oil at all 4 corners and if the car rolls to much go to 40 or 45 wt oil. I went with AE silver springs on the rear and blue on the front. Then a 2 degree caster on the right front, and foams for tires and grooved them. I have to thank JFuel11 for the info on getting me started.

This is a start...............Good luck!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Are you running in an EDM class that requires truck arms and tires?....or are you going to be running buggy arms and tires? In the Midwest we run some of both, but I'm running a Losi based truck tire/arm truck. In my opinion I would suggest a CDK body over a Mcallister simply because the center section provides more downforce and is easier to fit without trimming around the rear shock tower. As far as setup goes, I would suggest trying it with a basically stock setup just with heavier shock oil/springs on the rear, up 10 wt. in oil and maybe one or two rates on the springs. You will definitely want to fab up a front wing to add some downforce to the front and possibly add some weight up front to help it turn in. In the end, there is very few people that know how to set one up, so we are all kind of on our own. You should have somewhat of an advantage coming from touring cars where setup is so critical....make one change at a time and just experiment until you find what works for you
Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

here is a pic of my gt that has edm body on it i used a kipps body it was hand made and i painted it myself to the only issue i hade was findning a way to mount the front of it i usesd the stock front shock tower to make it fit
Attached Thumbnails New to oval, need advice-finshed-mod.jpg  
Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys. I'm going to order my body this weekend and find out from the only club i know what the rules are as far as arms etc. I'll post pics in a couple of weeks when I get around to building it up.