Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by williamw
Tekno conversion chassis is identical to stock.
Tekno conversion allows you to use 2 speed if you wish but will require brake servo.
I never use anything less than metal gear, 200 inch oz servos on steering or throttle.
Tekno makes a trick clutch setup that allows you to run a brake servo if you wish. I do not use a brake servo on my electric car, but I'm not racing.
Hopes this helps.
Thanks williamw, it does help. That answered a lot.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

I do not use a brake servo on my electric car, but I'm not racing.
Can you tell me how your brakes are setup? How do you lock the transmission?

Thanks much!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whipnet
Can you tell me how your brakes are setup? How do you lock the transmission?

Thanks much!

The speed control provides the brakes, just like in the smaller electric cars. I had a spool in place of the center diff, but went back to a diff with heavy oil. The electric motors are so powerfull I could not tell the difference. Most of the guys racing use diffs.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

The speed control provides the brakes, just like in the smaller electric cars. I had a spool in place of the center diff, but went back to a diff with heavy oil. The electric motors are so powerfull I could not tell the difference. Most of the guys racing use diffs.
I appreciate your reply, but I am a little confused. Does the heavy oil stop you? The transmission as it is is free spinning one direction.

I have converted other RC and converted the 2 speed to a one speed and locked the transmission giving me great braking and reverse. Is this possible with this car?

Thanks much!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whipnet
I appreciate your reply, but I am a little confused. Does the heavy oil stop you? The transmission as it is is free spinning one direction.

I have converted other RC and converted the 2 speed to a one speed and locked the transmission giving me great braking and reverse. Is this possible with this car?

Thanks much!

Are we talking about 1/8 scale buggies? The GT and GT2 and Ofna DM1 spec all come with 2 speeds. When converting to electric most guys are ditching the two speed for a center diff just like an 1/8 scale offroad buggy. The big electric motors do not need 2 speeds. There is no shaft to lock. I suspose you could lock the 2 speed which would make it act like a spool.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

When converting to electric most guys are ditching the two speed for a center diff just like an 1/8 scale offroad buggy.
Bingo, that is what I need to know. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I was thinking of keeping the 2 speed for the cool factor if it would hold up to the brutal power. I'll probably try the 2 speed and clutch / mechanical brakes first and then drop a center diff in when I am ready to get serious. I am hoping there is one from a OFNA buggy that would pop in there nicely?

Thanks again for your help man!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Well guys it looks like I will be able to make it out Sunday.. The service is at 4 and so I'll run whatever I can and take off

unfortunately my GT8 will not be with me, just my 1/10 TC and Cupracer.

I ordered the replacement parts a bit late to fix my wreck from last time. Everything came in today but they were not able to ship today.

I've been buried in a 1:1 scale toy and at the moment I am out in Kalispell Montana. You see the car in my avatar, well I just purchased a red one! She will be shipped out next week to Sunny So Cal.

Last edited by Raman; 11-04-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Raman, good luck with your new vintage hot rod, chrome is cool, hope you enjoy it!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

How come no one told me about this thread, LOL! I've been posting in the nitro one, glad I found this.

Still working on getting my Jammin X2 on-road conversion together. Just a matter of finding time to work on everything.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Raman, i am so jealous you get to play with 1/1 cars...someday i will get my B13 out of the garage and track it again...after i build my high compression NA motor.

Looks the like weather will be a perfect 70' at Surf City this Sunday. WHo is planning on coming out?
1.Charlie
2.Steve N
3.Dave S
4.Dan K
5.Raman
I installed the center diff and will see how much it makes a difference on these cars. I will make a report of it on Ofnalive.com
Old 11-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Exterior needs a good detail job. Interior dash and wood need to be completely redone.

That's one engine, I even have a spare!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by charlie_b
Raman, i am so jealous you get to play with 1/1 cars...someday i will get my B13 out of the garage and track it again...after i build my high compression NA motor.

Looks the like weather will be a perfect 70' at Surf City this Sunday. WHo is planning on coming out?
1.Charlie
2.Steve N
3.Dave S
4.Dan K
5.Raman
I installed the center diff and will see how much it makes a difference on these cars. I will make a report of it on Ofnalive.com
Charlie, I wont have my GT8, its not ready.. Ill only be in 1/10 scale and Mini
Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Raman, just need to find an appropriate brushless motor and ESC and you'll be good to go, LOL!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by simplechamp
Raman, just need to find an appropriate brushless motor and ESC and you'll be good to go, LOL!
Lol should I go 4000 cell or 6000 cell?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Charlie:
I'll be there. I tested the Kyosho ST-RR converted to on road at Cal Racing on Tuesday night with a two cell and it ran great. I tried the four cell on the street and the thing is stupid fast. I will be there on Sunday with my newly converted GT8 and my 1/10 for a first time run in RCGT, I am happy to bring up the rear and have some fun.
Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.