Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TYLORD
Hey Charlie how is your Silver Arrow 2 holding up? Mine burned up yesterday after running for only a few minutes. Everything was cool except the ESC, and the only thing melted was the switch wire. Too bad, it was running great. Do you have any experience with Speed Passion's customer service?
You should have no issues with them. ALbert is the guy to talk to from Speedpassion. If you have any issues, let me know.

So far so good with the Silver Arrow. I kept the settings all stock, just programed it to run with my radio. I am actually liking it alot!!! It ran the whole 7 minute race with no hickups. Im liking it much better than the HV system.

Originally Posted by markw
Ooo, wonder how their new Nexx8 would work as an onroad.
I actually getting some AKA's to try from Jimmy Wright. I will test them next week at Surf City. You going?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default another contender for racing GT8 at Corona.

LOSI GT8ightE

I hope all of the SCAL peeps along with all the newcomers show up to run this awesome class with us.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
Hey Jerry,

Wow!! You diff oil recommendations are really low as compared to the stock recommendations (Front = 100K and Rear = 50K) I'm not saying they are wrong just really different. So I'm curious, can I pick your brain as to what brought you to those numbers? I did followed your recommendation to go to a white spring (medium) for the front shocks. I find it made the front more solid for me. I likes!!!
I wouldn't recommend running my setup...it's just what i use right now that suites my driving style. I've raced truggy's for a while so i set it up similar to my truggies i've had in the past.
Lighter oil in the front helps me have more steering. I can turn on a dime, keep a tight line and make 1/10 sedans jealous!
I like the center a little light compared to most. It allows the car to pull more than push reducing spin-outs and accelerates more straight.
Running 3k in the back helps again with more off power steeering.
Our parking lot tracks here are very tight and technical compared to many other tracks abroad. I'd go thicker in the front and back diffs for those larger tracks like HobbyTown Corona to gain higher cornering speed like in big sweepers. Experiement w/ different fluids, but make one change at a time so you can see what effect it has on your car.
Corona here we come!

Last edited by RC Passion; 10-26-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Raman
Oh no... DAN turn your eyes away.. It's a the SUPER CRACK SALE

Hmm..... tempting. I need some replacement parts for my IGT.........

I wonder if they will have any Ferrari bodies on sale?

It's a long drive for me just for some parts..... but if I can crash someplace down there Surf City is in that direction with the race the next day.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by charlie_b

At this point, i see no reason to limit anything until we have enough people to actually separate the class. The way i see it, the only thing i'd like to enforce right now is GT Type Bodies(no Lola 8th scale bodies) and Foam tires.
I'd agree. So far it doesn't look like the various motor options are making that much difference which is a good thing. It might come down to tires at some point.

Other than that, lets have FUN and maybe have some sorta dinner/meeting after the race and hang out. Us GT8 peeps need to stick together!
I'd be up for an after race dinner.

Originally Posted by -TC5racer-
Man I wish I lived there so I could race with you guy's!!! I feel like I'm all alone here in TX although I'm not. It's not like Cali.
Dude, until recently we had no consistent 1/8 GT racing scene here. I've been jealous of the guys in Florida and other places that had a consistent showing.

I'm hoping the advent of BL power makes this class become much more popular.

One of the main issues out here is track size. Most of the existing tracks are 1/10 oriented. I wish we still had Sun Valley Raceway that was a real 1/8 scale track. Charlie started opening up this track layouts earlier this year and they are big enough to have fun with these cars, they do need some room to play, LOL.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by danketchpel
I'd agree. So far it doesn't look like the various motor options are making that much difference which is a good thing. It might come down to tires at some point.
Dan, it always comes down to tires, aerodynamics, gearing, set-up, driver ability and being lucky.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danketchpel
Quote: Originally Posted by charlie_b At this point, i see no reason to limit anything until we have enough people to actually separate the class. The way i see it, the only thing i'd like to enforce right now is GT Type Bodies(no Lola 8th scale bodies) and Foam tires. I'd agree. So far it doesn't look like the various motor options are making that much difference which is a good thing. It might come down to tires at some point. Quote: Originally Posted by charlie_b Other than that, lets have FUN and maybe have some sorta dinner/meeting after the race and hang out. Us GT8 peeps need to stick together! I'd be up for an after race dinner. Quote: Originally Posted by -TC5racer- Man I wish I lived there so I could race with you guy's!!! I feel like I'm all alone here in TX although I'm not. It's not like Cali. Dude, until recently we had no consistent 1/8 GT racing scene here. I've been jealous of the guys in Florida and other places that had a consistent showing. I'm hoping the advent of BL power makes this class become much more popular. One of the main issues out here is track size. Most of the existing tracks are 1/10 oriented. I wish we still had Sun Valley Raceway that was a real 1/8 scale track. Charlie started opening up this track layouts earlier this year and they are big enough to have fun with these cars, they do need some room to play, LOL.
I'm glad Charlie opened up the track, i just hope the next time he avoids having that tree at the end of the back straight... For some reason it kept taunting me with, "come on, give me your best shot, show what you got" lol! And sure enough WACK!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'm glad Charlie opened up the track, i just hope the next time he avoids having that tree at the end of the back straight... For some reason it kept taunting me with, "come on, give me your best shot, show what you got" lol! And sure enough WACK!!!
hahahahaha. Too funny!

It was great meeting you Raman. I hope you continue to make it out to our GT8 events. Too bad we can't move that tree for you, it's always at the end of the straightaway All it means is you need to come out more often to corona to learn the track. You get used to it.

After running the GT8's and going back to 10th sedan, the cars look so tiny! It takes me a min to remember the spacing for the fast line. hahaha.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I actually getting some AKA's to try from Jimmy Wright. I will test them next week at Surf City. You going?
AKA getting into the 1/8 on road market?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcunamay
hahahahaha. Too funny!

It was great meeting you Raman. I hope you continue to make it out to our GT8 events. Too bad we can't move that tree for you, it's always at the end of the straightaway All it means is you need to come out more often to corona to learn the track. You get used to it.

After running the GT8's and going back to 10th sedan, the cars look so tiny! It takes me a min to remember the spacing for the fast line. hahaha.
I'll be at Surf City for sure. Corona was a heck of a drive but if Dan can make it, then I have no excuse!

As for that tree.. well it wasnt so much the tree as the curb surrounding it lol. Serves me right for trying a drastic suspension change in between heats.. live and learn!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

We should have a good turnout at Surf City November 7th, 2010. Here it is. Hope the GT8's show up..i think i got my car pretty close now.

dimensions are 170'x70'
Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC Passion
I wouldn't recommend running my setup...it's just what i use right now that suites my driving style. I've raced truggy's for a while so i set it up similar to my truggies i've had in the past.
Lighter oil in the front helps me have more steering. I can turn on a dime, keep a tight line and make 1/10 sedans jealous!
I like the center a little light compared to most. It allows the car to pull more than push reducing spin-outs and accelerates more straight.
Running 3k in the back helps again with more off power steeering.
Our parking lot tracks here are very tight and technical compared to many other tracks abroad. I'd go thicker in the front and back diffs for those larger tracks like HobbyTown Corona to gain higher cornering speed like in big sweepers. Experiement w/ different fluids, but make one change at a time so you can see what effect it has on your car.
Corona here we come!
Thanks Bro, I now see the reason to your madness.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

I'll be at Surf City for sure. Corona was a heck of a drive but if Dan can make it, then I have no excuse!
Ya, Corona is a bit of a drive for sure, but it's a nice place to race with a well stocked hobby shop right there plus food near by, a big plus. Surf City feels "remote" in comparison. I'm planning on being there. I should have my DM1-S under BL power by then, I'm very close now.

And Surf City racers don't forget to buy your $1 parking ticket!!! You get them from the ticket machines located around the parking lot. You have to check also, sometimes they aren't working so you have to try the next one. The police will ticket you if you don't have a paid ticket in the window of your vehicle, just ask Angie, LOL.

As for that tree.. well it wasnt so much the tree as the curb surrounding it lol.
Ya, those planter boxes aren't the most car friendly. I'm thinking to bring some foam pipe insulation tubes (or ???) next time that we can duct tape on the curb faces. The foam tubing is way cheaper than car parts.

Surf City is more car friendly except for the curb at the end of the long straight. Maybe a section of foam tubing there would fix that?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:28 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yeah can't wait to race again.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Surf City This Sunday in Huntington Beach! ANyone in Cali coming up? Lets get rockin'!!! For more info, go to http://socal.rcracing.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.