R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Oval, Larger Scales and More (https://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-larger-scales-more-5/)
-   -   1/8 Dirt Oval Motor Recommendations (https://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-larger-scales-more/236995-1-8-dirt-oval-motor-recommendations.html)

mike_perrier 08-12-2008 06:02 PM

1/8 Dirt Oval Motor Recommendations

Hello to all. I searched the forum's for a similar topic but could not find one so I hope this topic has not been beaten to the ground several 100 times ;)

For some background on the track I run on - it is roughly 225 ft around the center and the straights are about 80ft. Nice sweeping corners with roughly 10-20 degree banking. Usually the first 2 heats are bone dry, 3rd heat is moist, and the main is tacky. No clay in the dirt.

Currently I am using the Ofna GTP chassis with a Picco P3-28. The P3 is about on it's last leg but it has been a very powerful motor. I'm the only one at my local track that uses the motor and can pull almost anyone down the straights. However, even after I fixed air leaks at the base of the carb and around the backplate, it always runs hot while tuned to almost run out of gas after a 4 minute race (refueling 30 seconds to green).

While I have enjoyed my P3-28, I am looking for something a little smaller that is better on gas mileage but still has decent power. My brother runs a Sportwerks .26 and has had really good luck with it. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping down to a .21 or .18 as long as it has a strong power curve.

What motors would you all recommend?

crazyfasttoys 08-12-2008 06:40 PM

I know this is smaller than you want to run, but I run an MT .12. It is an older motor and I dont even know if you can get them anymore. I pull most of the .18 and.21 I come across. It really pisses of all the guys I race with.;)

mike_perrier 08-12-2008 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by crazyfasttoys (Post 4734280)
I know this is smaller than you want to run, but I run an MT .12. It is an older motor and I dont even know if you can get them anymore. I pull most of the .18 and.21 I come across. It really pisses of all the guys I race with.;)

You're not talking about a .12 in a 1/8th scale, are you?

hellfire 08-12-2008 09:15 PM

motor

Hi, I run on a Blacktop banked oval up here in WI. I was running a .28 also. But now have a Go tech 7 port .21 in my late model. I also run a .25 go in my Xray Truggy. The motors run strong. I know the guys in OKC. City (Competion RC) run .21's when the track is loose and .28's when the track has a groove or high bite. "I know most of them that run there" :nod: :D
I hope this helped you out.

richardsonracin 08-12-2008 09:57 PM

I like the Force .28 Plenty of power, made by OFNA, and easy on the checkbook!:nod:

If you want a .21 get a Picco...

crazyfasttoys 08-13-2008 08:44 PM

No 1\10th, ididnt realize he was talking about 1\8th till i posted it. my bad:(

soup 08-13-2008 09:13 PM

hey, whats up scott, so i take it you got the motor.

NEMESIS44 08-14-2008 06:13 PM

Our little club has about ten full time racers, sometimes more sometimes less but we are all up in the air about what engines are strong enough to handling the abuse of almost WOT oval racing. Nobody is getting long life in their engine. My LHS guy says we should be running on-road engine because they are built to sustain high rpm more than the typical off-road engine. Sure my Novarossi has lasted longer than most but there are people in Nitro-Off-Road claiming to get 10+ gallons. I bought a GRP because it suppose to be a top-end engine but am yet to finish break-in. Any recommendation???

wingracer 08-14-2008 07:52 PM

Go with Nova based motors. They have the best rods in the biz. Anything else and you had better change rods every gallon. I would go with either an on-road .21 or if you want to save a few bucks, an offroad .28.

robertsmustang 08-19-2008 04:58 AM

I run on the same blacktop oval that hellfire does with my GTP. I run a OS .21 RG. Runs awsome keeps up and passes the dynamite's, the rossi's and I even beat the .28 that HELLFIRE was running. Oh, I even have the track record for fast lap.....

Doug Gaut 08-19-2008 07:42 AM

Mike, I use a Dynamite Platinum .21 in my late model and never felt like I have a lack of power since I can run the entire track down there sideways. LOL Jeff Harper also uses a Platinum .21 in his late model.

mike_perrier 08-23-2008 08:28 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to give the Dynamite a try since they are a little easier on the pocket book than a Nova :nod: