Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
1/8 Dirt Oval Motor Recommendations >

1/8 Dirt Oval Motor Recommendations

1/8 Dirt Oval Motor Recommendations

Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 1/8 Dirt Oval Motor Recommendations

Hello to all. I searched the forum's for a similar topic but could not find one so I hope this topic has not been beaten to the ground several 100 times

For some background on the track I run on - it is roughly 225 ft around the center and the straights are about 80ft. Nice sweeping corners with roughly 10-20 degree banking. Usually the first 2 heats are bone dry, 3rd heat is moist, and the main is tacky. No clay in the dirt.

Currently I am using the Ofna GTP chassis with a Picco P3-28. The P3 is about on it's last leg but it has been a very powerful motor. I'm the only one at my local track that uses the motor and can pull almost anyone down the straights. However, even after I fixed air leaks at the base of the carb and around the backplate, it always runs hot while tuned to almost run out of gas after a 4 minute race (refueling 30 seconds to green).

While I have enjoyed my P3-28, I am looking for something a little smaller that is better on gas mileage but still has decent power. My brother runs a Sportwerks .26 and has had really good luck with it. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping down to a .21 or .18 as long as it has a strong power curve.

What motors would you all recommend?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Rookie

I know this is smaller than you want to run, but I run an MT .12. It is an older motor and I dont even know if you can get them anymore. I pull most of the .18 and.21 I come across. It really pisses of all the guys I race with.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by crazyfasttoys
I know this is smaller than you want to run, but I run an MT .12. It is an older motor and I dont even know if you can get them anymore. I pull most of the .18 and.21 I come across. It really pisses of all the guys I race with.

You're not talking about a .12 in a 1/8th scale, are you?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default motor

Hi, I run on a Blacktop banked oval up here in WI. I was running a .28 also. But now have a Go tech 7 port .21 in my late model. I also run a .25 go in my Xray Truggy. The motors run strong. I know the guys in OKC. City (Competion RC) run .21's when the track is loose and .28's when the track has a groove or high bite. "I know most of them that run there"
I hope this helped you out.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like the Force .28 Plenty of power, made by OFNA, and easy on the checkbook!

If you want a .21 get a Picco...
Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Rookie

No 1\10th, ididnt realize he was talking about 1\8th till i posted it. my bad
Old 08-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey, whats up scott, so i take it you got the motor.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Our little club has about ten full time racers, sometimes more sometimes less but we are all up in the air about what engines are strong enough to handling the abuse of almost WOT oval racing. Nobody is getting long life in their engine. My LHS guy says we should be running on-road engine because they are built to sustain high rpm more than the typical off-road engine. Sure my Novarossi has lasted longer than most but there are people in Nitro-Off-Road claiming to get 10+ gallons. I bought a GRP because it suppose to be a top-end engine but am yet to finish break-in. Any recommendation???
Old 08-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Go with Nova based motors. They have the best rods in the biz. Anything else and you had better change rods every gallon. I would go with either an on-road .21 or if you want to save a few bucks, an offroad .28.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I run on the same blacktop oval that hellfire does with my GTP. I run a OS .21 RG. Runs awsome keeps up and passes the dynamite's, the rossi's and I even beat the .28 that HELLFIRE was running. Oh, I even have the track record for fast lap.....
Old 08-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Mike, I use a Dynamite Platinum .21 in my late model and never felt like I have a lack of power since I can run the entire track down there sideways. LOL Jeff Harper also uses a Platinum .21 in his late model.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to give the Dynamite a try since they are a little easier on the pocket book than a Nova