Search
Like Tree3Likes

1/10th pan car

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Talking Take that ROAR!

Ok, so it’s more of a moral victory than anything else since a lot of us got our entries in ASAP and a lot of Sedan guys are taking their time but as of today, 1/10th Pan Car has the most entries of any class for the 2002 NORRCA OnRoad Nationals. That is according to Rod from Hot Rod Hobbies who we saw today when we went up there to race. If you're thinking about running, get your entry in as the deadline is the 31st of this month. Let’s show ‘em that we still support the big races (when we’re wanted) with our Pan Cars.

I just had to post that…at least while it was still valid.

Anyway, the track is very good. Most bite I've seen on an outdoor track this side of Speedworld without Speedworld's sandpaper-like tire wear. Literally just about anything softer than a Purple should have enough bite. It's a little narrow in spots but as thirdplace and I proved in the main, you can have a still very good race there.

Old 05-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Thats very good news... I hope that we can preserve that, and I plan on asking my parrents again...and again...and again. Perhaps they will crack and I can attend the nats.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

At least see if you can attend the Sat and Sun. . . most likely they will post online the mains, so if you can get a couple of good quals in and run, then one of our two goals is fulfilled.

First (common) goal - get a huge turnout. We need everyone from SoCal and Sacramento to show up. We are the ones that should be able to get there fairly easily with much less committment needed (no flights from NY or something). The bigger a turnout, the bigger a percentage of racers that are 1.10th scale, the more we can turn this stupid "resurgence" thing around to bite TRex on his a$$ and we can MAKE Roar pay attention to us.

Second (individual) goal - win cleanly and "funly" (yes, I know, but I wrote this at 8:00 without coffee. . .)

So, if you can attend Sat and Sun, please still consider it!
Old 05-20-2002, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Tire wear was interesting - the track does not like tires with a lot of sidewall. Both my greens and my pinks wore down dramatically and then STOPPED - it was cool. Once they got down to about half the sidewall they just gripped.

We also ran immediately after the 15 minute Expert Gas main - thinking we might have considerably less traction. We didn't. We were still hooked up. A llllitle drift around the high speed sweepers, but nothing unpredictable, nothing uncontrollable and nothing dramatic (except for Mark's wheelie down the straight and my two consecutive chassis slaps on the wall. . .).

The layout was fun, but they're going to change it one week prior to Norrca.

I also liked the announcer. He was a good kid, did a good job of keeping things running and his method of making sure everyone was ready for the mains was beautiful - he just looked around, "Everyone ready? Cool."
Old 05-20-2002, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Boomer

We also ran immediately after the 15 minute Expert Gas main - thinking we might have considerably less traction. We didn't. We were still hooked up.
I had motor issues all day and only got one good run in (that being the main), but I felt that the track was better as the sun started to come out. When it was cloudy and a cool 65 degrees out until around 2, there was just so much bite that the car pushed like a schoolbus. It was almost impossible to make the car pivot while carrying any cornerspeed.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:20 PM
Tech Rookie

I just bought an l2 kit. Are the hubs that come in the kit decent quality? Are there any other important components that I should think about changing? and where can I find one of those bodies that I keep hearing you guys raving about. thanks
Old 05-20-2002, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had a blast, my car was hooked up all day.
Them guys at Hotrod Hobbies did a grate job.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by johnnyblade
I just bought an l2 kit. Are the hubs that come in the kit decent quality? Are there any other important components that I should think about changing? and where can I find one of those bodies that I keep hearing you guys raving about. thanks
Hey Billy,

Good to hear that. The stock hubs are Ok. The right-side hub is heavier than the one we have but is otherwise just as functional. You may want to to look into the clamping hub for the left side though as it tends to stay tighter on the axle longer. If your car does not have the Dan’s Teflon tape on the upper rear plate you’ll want to get that and a bladder to go in the shock. The guys at the track can show you what those are when you get there on Saturday.

Other than that, I’d run it the way it is.

You may eventually want to get some of the lightening parts, etc, etc. but for now, I wouldn’t worry about spending a lot of $$$ especially since a lot of the stock steel parts like the screws are more durable anyway.

For bodies, the reason we talk about them a lot is because we can’t get very many! Your best bet for right now is to go down to SoCal and get an Associated Nissan Body (see pic below for an example) for @$18. You could also order one of these https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...pl?pn=PFM1407L but there’s no guarantee when it might come so I’d just buy the body that SoCal has in stock for now.
Attached Thumbnails 1/10th pan car-body6128.gif  
Old 05-20-2002, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you buy an AE body. Be sure not to cut
off toooooooo much of the front end. A
mistake made by many. if you need any
other help I will be at SoCal early sat.
Hope to see you there.

Last edited by thirdplace; 05-20-2002 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:26 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks. who makes the hubs. What about any of the Dahms or Hot bodies bodies?
Old 05-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

The hubs are an Assoc. part; they have them at SoCal.

The HotBodies Toyota is a good buy. It's very similar to the old Protoform P35 that a lot of us are hanging on to. As usual though, Hot Bodies' website is down but you can order one of those here: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK897&P=7.

Dahm's bodies aren’t bad but I'd go for the AE Nissan before I'd buy one of those.

Last edited by MarkA; 05-20-2002 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

The guy painting my P35 for me right now (Roger) got together with Erik’s favorite hobby store, Hobby Warehouse in Lakewood, and then they got together with Protoform to get 12 Peugeot bodies, most likely by this Friday. Hobby Warehouse then gave Roger 12 coupons so we could come in and get the bodies for $17.95 each. So, if you need a body or two, he’ll be by sometime Saturday afternoon/evening with those coupons and you can not only get a Protoform Peugeot, you can get it at a good price. Richard knows the guy I’m talking about so he can point him out.

No, don’t ask me how they did it… but, it looks like they have.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

He should bring some of those bodies to SoCal Sat. so we can buy them.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:36 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Hey guys! New user and 10L2 owner! You guys raced the Revelation track since its re-opend?
Old 05-22-2002, 12:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by RAL
Hey guys! New user and 10L2 owner! You guys raced the Revelation track since its re-opend?
No, unfortunately, they've more or less turned it into a gas-only facility. They've made the track into a semi-permanent layout oriented more for 1/8th gas and they don't even host electric race days anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.