Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bolink Legends

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by reaper7534
There allowing us to mod certain things, things that are off limits for spec class are :

20t Photon or Dynamite motor only
No ceramic ball diffs
No graphite shafts
Spec tires only - Yellow stripe
No ceramic bearings - metal allowed
Can use turnbuckles and ball cups

I got all the little tips last night, well the ones they were willing to share

polishing the axle, diff rings, use 60w silicone oil on diff balls, flip left spring to bottom.

Now my car seems to handle pretty well, but I do seems to loose a little speed in corners and was wondering what I can do there.

Someone recommended Associated springs since they are stiffer, if so, which ones ? Adding washers to induces camber, if so where and how many ? One guys was running with no kingpin brace, anyone else do that ?
Well, where we run, you HAVE to run the brass bushings; you HAVE to run the stock Legends springs (no aftermarket/other brands).

Polish your kingpins as well. Where I *used* to race, we were permitted to bend the front kingpins to put some camber in the front.

Run all of your cross-bars (except the two very rear ones) just a *touch* loose (maybe a 1/4 turn from "all the way tight"). This will keep the car from chattering/wheel-hopping in the corners.

I've never heard of "flipping" the left front spring. What does that do?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For Spec tires you might want to ad the phrase any spec tire (Purple rings- like the WGT tires). Also There is a new turnbuckle set-up that is a little different that the older version.Use the Asc.#20 front springs.Never new there was an top and bottom side to the springs- been racing Legends since they came out! the Durtrax motor is only what 11.00 and that what we used at the birds.
Other than that we usualy race 21.5, 31-35 pinion with the 81 spur -ball bearing,turnbuckle linkage and one cell.The only time we run antique stuff is at the birds.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12

I've never heard of "flipping" the left front spring. What does that do?
I'd never heard of this either but I might give it a go this weekend just for grins.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

should have been more clear on flipping springs

Put your left side spring on the bottom of the steering block. You will need to move your ball studs to the bottom side of the steering block at that point so your turnbuckle will clear the chassis.

When I so spec tires, I mean the ones that come in the box BSR yellow ring.

Were open on pinion, but need to use stock spurs. I'm between a 24-25 right now seeing what is best. With the 25 I was running right around brake-out laps at 4.7 to 4.85 Our breakout is 4.7 and I only broke out once at 4.69, of course now their talking about dropping it to 4.60

On my next set of tires, my track director want to cuts some camber into them to see how that works, I may give it a shot. I will polish up those kingpins to see how it performs.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My 21.5 didnt make it in time so I am going to have to run a 17.5 in Legends breakout tomorrow. What pinion should I use? I have an 88 tooth spur on there. 64 pitch. Need this thing to run like a 20 turn brushed.

I could go back to a 48 pitch 81 tooth if I need to but still don't know what pinion to use.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 97806
My 21.5 didnt make it in time so I am going to have to run a 17.5 in Legends breakout tomorrow. What pinion should I use? I have an 88 tooth spur on there. 64 pitch. Need this thing to run like a 20 turn brushed.

I could go back to a 48 pitch 81 tooth if I need to but still don't know what pinion to use.
If we take this guy to be accurate:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157886

Then 24,200 / 7.2v = 3,361kv for the Duratrax Motor. Which sounds ridiculous to me, but it's what we have to work with.

According to this chart from Novak, that would roughly equal a Ballistic Spec 13.5 (3,300kv). http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...spec_chart.htm

Any chance someone at your track is running a 13.5 that you could consult?
Old 04-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

New track. Only raced there once with a Photon. 3.5 hours away. Hate to drive that far and be out in left field. Everything I have found relates to 21.5 with a 54/82 64 pitch so I bought a 21.5 but Post Office screwed up. Was supposed to be here (SC) from Colorado on Thursday so I checked tracking today and its in CALIFORNIA!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Which turnbuckle do you guys choose for the front steering?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

I used a ser off an associated team pancar and it worked perfectly.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 97806
I used a ser off an associated team pancar and it worked perfectly.
Same here. I use the blue team associated ones off the RC12r5.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default Right side/left side?

On two different Legend threads I have seen the "flipping the front spring" comment. The confusion is that on one thread it says the left side the other says the right side.

I would think that it would be on the right side (passenger side) as this would slow the transfer of the front end weight to the right side and allow the left (drivers side) to maintain contact and thus turn more.

Anybody want to clarify? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
On two different Legend threads I have seen the "flipping the front spring" comment. The confusion is that on one thread it says the left side the other says the right side.

I would think that it would be on the right side (passenger side) as this would slow the transfer of the front end weight to the right side and allow the left (drivers side) to maintain contact and thus turn more.

Anybody want to clarify? Thanks.
Wouldn't putting the LF spring blow the Steering Block "lower" the LF ride height? This should Raise the axle thus lowering the car.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SRC_DRIVER
Wouldn't putting the LF spring blow the Steering Block "lower" the LF ride height? This should Raise the axle thus lowering the car.
I've tried the spring under the steering block, and found that I needed to severely cut down the front axle plate so that the wheel (rim) would clear the plate. I put it back "normal".
Old 09-10-2014, 03:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
I've tried the spring under the steering block, and found that I needed to severely cut down the front axle plate so that the wheel (rim) would clear the plate. I put it back "normal".
What they are doing here is putting the spring under the spindle to take bite out of the rf to keep the cars from binding up in the corners there is a lot of ways to accomplish this like cutting tires ,raising the rear axle ,moving weight around on the car but the spring helps a lot of racers
Old 10-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new racer in Tampa area

My local track is about to start an oval spec class for legends. I've never raced, but I'm excited to try. I'm setting my car up now.

I'd read about leaning the car to the left by running the rear axle at an angle (higher on the left, lower on the right) by flipping the ride spacers around, and using the three piece front end similarly.

Like this, the right front and left rear tires can be lifted simultaneously while the other two tires remain planted. Is this correct, or do I have it backwards?

Am I screwed when it comes to getting the motor aligned with the spur?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.