Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By EbbTide
  • 2 Post By SlowLST2

idle trouble

Old 08-11-2017, 07:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default idle trouble

i have a savage 25 that the idle is high when started. i tried the idle screw to slow it down. still running at a high rpm. i cleaned the carb but still no joy.
any idea what i should do next?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zep71 View Post
i have a savage 25 that the idle is high when started. i tried the idle screw to slow it down. still running at a high rpm. i cleaned the carb but still no joy.
any idea what i should do next?
If you're having a lot of trouble with the way it's set, what I like to do is return the needles to factory settings and then try tuning again. I believe the 25 engine is listed on that link for the factory settings.

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threa...ettings.11154/
Zep71 likes this.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

thank you Sir i will have a look.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Does it idle down when you hit the brakes? If so, check your trims and endpoints.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer View Post
Does it idle down when you hit the brakes? If so, check your trims and endpoints.
no it stays high. now it wont even start this is my first nitro truck and i am watching videos but none have helped. it has a bit of oil/fuel that drips out of the exhaust. i set high and low speed back to factory i think i was told to set then flush. now it won't start. i am at a loss.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The factory settings are often too rich to start with - especially on an engine that's been run some. I'd suggest going 1/2 turn leaner on both needles. Prime the engine and try starting it with the throttle opened 25% or so. Make sure the glow plug is good - replace it if you question it. Make sure the glow driver is fully charged. Once the engine starts, keep the glow plug heated and get the truck moving around to clear the engine out and get it to warm up some. Once it sounds stable, pull the glow driver and start tuning it in. If it quits after you pull the glow driver, lean the low speed another 1/8 turn or so and try it again.
EbbTide and Zep71 like this.

Last edited by SlowLST2; 08-11-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added "turn" after 1/2.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
The factory settings are often too rich to start with - especially on an engine that's been run some. I'd suggest going 1/2 leaner on both needles. Prime the engine and try starting it with the throttle opened 25% or so. Make sure the glow plug is good - replace it if you question it. Make sure the glow driver is fully charged. Once the engine starts, keep the glow plug heated and get the truck moving around to clear the engine out and get it to warm up some. Once it sounds stable, pull the glow driver and start tuning it in. If it quits after you pull the glow driver, lean the low speed another 1/8 turn or so and try it again.
ok i will get to it thank you!
Old 08-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

i think i might have seized it up now. put a new glow plug in started had no throttle response plenty of smoke coming out like it was rich. started it a few times after it died last time it wouldn't turn
Old 08-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

this is a puzzle to me any insight would really help. pulled the motor out. tried turning flywheel one way it would not budge other way it was trying to tighten the pull start string. i removed the pull stater and the motor is free. could it be the one way barring locked up? any idea what it locked up where i could not pull start it?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sometimes one-way clutch bearings can get jammed and not disengage. On the other extreme they will slip if loaded with too much oil or if the starter shaft is highly polished. In this case, sanding the shaft with 400-800grit sandpaper will give the bearing something to grab onto and stop the slipping.

Big block engines usually have the one-way clutch bearing inside the engine and smallblocks have them externally. I would remove the one-way clutch bearing (what they really are called), clean/soak in acetone for 5-10 minutes and blow out with compressed air. Put about a half drop of oil inside the bearing where the needle rollers are and reassemble everything.