R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2005, 05:24 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
BrainTeased's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,342
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default decreasing running tempreture

Hi guys wondering if anyone can help me on one topic.

my engine would run really well lots of power but problem is the tempreture was running at 280 F.

now my idea is to gear my car taller hoping that it wont reach peak RPM but still have the crisp launch and top end, and was wondering if this will lower my temps?
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com.au
BrainTeased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

You can add 0.05-0.1 mm head shim or use lower nitro content of fuel.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #3
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,845
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

You can do what Daniz said.

If you do what you said, the engine will over heat even more. Putting taller gears makes the engine work harder to move the car, and the harder it has to work the hotter it will get.
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:20 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
BrainTeased's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,342
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

thanks guys

i will do daniz24's idea and add a 0.05mm head shim as the nitro content im using is 16% any lower it would be pointless

and cheers for the tip on gearing nitrodude
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com.au
BrainTeased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
Tech Regular
 
Hesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sunny Blighty
Posts: 387
Default

you weren't far wrong though BT, if you lower the rpm you lower the friction between the piston and sleeve, bit like rubbing 2 sticks together to make fire lol the faster you rub the hotter it gets. I think what nitro dude meant is if you gear the car to hi it will put excess load on the clutch assembly and over heat and in turn raise the temperature of the engine.
I wouldn't bother with different gear ratios, just use the one that suits your track. just shim it as daniz24 said and run it a bit richer on the top end. also make sure the body is cut to give good air circulation for the engine to keep cool.
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:27 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
BrainTeased's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,342
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky
you weren't far wrong though BT, if you lower the rpm you lower the friction between the piston and sleeve, bit like rubbing 2 sticks together to make fire lol the faster you rub the hotter it gets. I think what nitro dude meant is if you gear the car to hi it will put excess load on the clutch assembly and over heat and in turn raise the temperature of the engine.
I wouldn't bother with different gear ratios, just use the one that suits your track. just shim it as daniz24 said and run it a bit richer on the top end. also make sure the body is cut to give good air circulation for the engine to keep cool.
thanks Hesky yea i believe i have the right gearing for my track as its a small to medium size track, 2 netball courts.

if i richen my top end just 1/8th of a turn it goes back to being a bit rich. and problem with these stock kit motors (vones 3) if its slightly rich it wont kick into 2nd gear nicely. and the difference between slightly rich and perfectly tuned engine is about 1/8th of a turn on the top end screw.

Also engine is only about 1 litre old so still brand new. maybe i might need to keep running it in.

will update how i go

thanks once again guys cheers
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com.au
BrainTeased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:45 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
VenomWorldOrder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: www.RCunderground.net
Posts: 4,063
Default

if you have a spare bit of cash go onto the microlon website and get a tub of microlon, soak all the metalic parts in it for a few days, put it together and watch in wonder as your motor does not pass 140 degrees celcius!

id recommend getting the 16oz bottle and going halves with someone.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:28 PM   #8
Tech Addict
 
Vince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: MD
Posts: 654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomWorldOrder
if you have a spare bit of cash go onto the microlon website and get a tub of microlon, soak all the metalic parts in it for a few days, put it together and watch in wonder as your motor does not pass 140 degrees celcius!

id recommend getting the 16oz bottle and going halves with someone.

Hello VenomWorldOrder, did you mean 140 degrees celcius, because that's like 280 degrees fareinheit, thanks in advance.
__________________
Wallace Motorsports
WRC
Murnan Modified Motors
VP Fuel
Hot Race Tires
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:50 AM   #9
Tech Master
 
BrainTeased's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,342
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

thanks Tom yea i was thinking about that! ill try the shim idea first and try lowering my body even more so that the head gets a even more amount of air flow
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com.au
BrainTeased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #10
Tech Regular
 
Hesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sunny Blighty
Posts: 387
Default

thats it, do the easy things 1st!
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:14 AM   #11
Tech Elite
 
duneland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NW Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,403
Default

Hesky, The higher RPM creates more heat due to the greater freaquency of combustion cycles NOT more friction! If you have friction between your piston and liner, your engine is about to seize. The piston should be seperated from the liner by a layer of oil. Some friction is present due to oil shear, but if there is actual contact between the piston and sleave, you have serious problems. As previously mentioned, too much load will also increase operating temp. As suggested, gear for track & try other routes to bring temp down. Increasing nitro can also bring temps down. This results from greater power outputs at richer settings.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:33 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,678
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniz24
You can add 0.05-0.1 mm head shim or use lower nitro content of fuel.
a lower nitro content will actually make the motor run hotter
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:21 PM   #13
Tech Regular
 
Hesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sunny Blighty
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
Hesky, The higher RPM creates more heat due to the greater freaquency of combustion cycles NOT more friction!
sorry, overlooked the most obvious.
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Riketsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,514
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainTeased
Hi guys wondering if anyone can help me on one topic.

my engine would run really well lots of power but problem is the tempreture was running at 280 F.

now my idea is to gear my car taller hoping that it wont reach peak RPM but still have the crisp launch and top end, and was wondering if this will lower my temps?
Here are some stuff to lower running temperature that I use:

-Richen the top-end needle
-Richen the low-end needle [remember to lean the idle-needle atleast 1:6 of what you richen the low-end]
-Use more head shims
-Try other temperature guns.
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic
 
AndyT 's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 862
Default

If you havent done so already, take the side windows out of the body shell....this is usually worth around 10deg f in cooling.
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
an 480 out-running BL on my SB... ny Electric Off-Road 2 03-17-2008 08:38 AM
Running in LRP .18 on 20%? ProudSavageOwnr Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 10 10-08-2006 05:56 AM
running too rich or running to lean bumm_off_street Nitro On-Road 7 03-29-2006 08:28 PM
Decreasing resistance Vortex Buggy Electric On-Road 11 10-12-2003 07:23 PM
running out of gas gasnewb!!!! Electric Off-Road 2 08-05-2003 12:03 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:11 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net