R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 08-11-2005, 08:16 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Way to prevent damage???

I have been running my car around and after like 5-6 tanks i total the exhaust gasket. My question is: is that how long they last If there is a way to increase the life or prevent damage to them I would like to know. i end up buying pack after pack of these exhaust things. The engine is a v12 RB concept turbo plug rear exhaust. What causes them to blow apart anyway the pipe? the backpressure? I would like to know pls.

Thanks in advance.
Greenbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via AIM to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via MSN to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked-Wayz

I wish I could help you but I can't. I use to have the same problem when I ran nitro. I ended up making my own gaskets to save money I blew so many.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 08-11-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
Tech Master

There was a thread in here a while back talking about using O rings instead of the silicone gasket. They were using a larger one against the engine and a couple of skinnier one that would fit between header and exhaust flange.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Theres a couple of ways that i know of that the exhaust gasket becomes damaged-
1. A hit to the pipe which ends up moving both it and the manifold...this tends to tear away at the gasket. Sometimes the exhaust spring will pull the manifold back into place, so this damage isnt immediately obvious.
2. Its important to mount the exhaust spring level with the holes in the manifold. If the spring runs around the engine too high or too low, then it places undue pressure on the gasket and over time it will tear/shred.
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbox
I have been running my car around and after like 5-6 tanks i total the exhaust gasket. My question is: is that how long they last If there is a way to increase the life or prevent damage to them I would like to know. i end up buying pack after pack of these exhaust things. The engine is a v12 RB concept turbo plug rear exhaust. What causes them to blow apart anyway the pipe? the backpressure? I would like to know pls.

Thanks in advance.

IF ITS A REAR EXHAUST ENGINE THEN i`VE GOT 1 THING TO SAY............gq gASKETS!
Old 08-11-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Slot do you have any that you want to sell? Are you running Nitro this weekend at S&J?
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
Tech Adept

ill check on the spring like u said AndyT. Hopefully those exhaust gaskets i bought from acehardware will come here soon. Also my pipes gasket to the manifold(inline) Never has been replaced yet Maybe it is all about pipe alignment. How long do your exhaust gaskets last AndyT...
Old 08-11-2005, 08:29 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Yes slot....it is a rear exhast like i stated b4.