R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Serpent GT 9 port vs 7 port

Hey Im running a Serpent Gt stock gears 15/19pinion 45/49 spur at local track (FBF) with a OS speed onroad 7 port. Car is very manageable but about 2/3rds into straight I feel it tops out and faster cars pull up. I have a RB 9 port that I run in my onraod pan car, It will continue to pull right up to the sweeper entry. If I were to opt to run the 9 port would I gear up on the spur? I understand that the pinion would be a more dramatic difference but I dont want to lose the bottom on the infield. 46/50 is available. Straightaway at FBF is 185ft corner to corner.

Last edited by pressure; 10-10-2012 at 07:47 PM.
pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressure View Post
Hey Im running a Serpent Gt stock gears 15/19pinion 45/49 spur at local track (FBF) with a OS speed onroad 7 port. Car is very manageable but about 2/3rds into straight I feel it tops out and faster cars pull up. I have a RB 9 port that I run in my onraod pan car, It will continue to pull right up to the sweeper entry. If I were to opt to run the 9 port would I gear up on the spur? I understand that the pinion would be a more dramatic difference but I dont want to lose the bottom on the infield. 46/50 is available. Straightaway at FBF is 185ft corner to corner.
What pipe and header?
From my experience, bigger pinion, smaller spur equals more top speed.
howard85may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run 17/20 and 44/48 with absolutely "NO" loss in bottom end power. It still wheel spins if I punch it off the line. X-HARD springs with 2 alum., 2 carbon shoes.
howard85may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard85may View Post
I run 17/20 and 44/48 with absolutely "NO" loss in bottom end power. It still wheel spins if I punch it off the line. X-HARD springs with 2 alum., 2 carbon shoes.
Im using the Buku clutch and tuning a softer setting to minimize losing the rear on power, I can easily lose the rear end by being aggressive on power I have jp 1 and 4 and will try jp6 soon. I rather the off road pipes for their strength but I can always go to a nova 2015 in a pinch. I ran the car yesterday with my RB C11 and JP4 offroad pipe and car looked fast and felt good held idle well and never exceeded 220 degrees. I still need to get a couple more tanks thru but will make final adjustments on race day. Car usually looks good twice, when Im alone and right before I crash...
Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Im using the Buku clutch and tuning a softer setting to minimize losing the rear on power, I can easily lose the rear end by being aggressive on power I have jp 1 and 4 and will try jp6 soon. I rather the off road pipes for their strength but I can always go to a nova 2015 in a pinch. I ran the car yesterday with my RB C11 and JP4 offroad pipe and car looked fast and felt good held idle well and never exceeded 220 degrees. I still need to get a couple more tanks thru but will make final adjustments on race day. Car usually looks good twice, when Im alone and right before I crash...
You could consider a mild gear change, possibly try 44/48 spurs first and/or a 16/20 clutch set. Both might help find a happy medium over your short 15/19 & 45/49 gearing set-up you're running now. Good luck
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
You could consider a mild gear change, possibly try 44/48 spurs first and/or a 16/20 clutch set. Both might help find a happy medium over your short 15/19 & 45/49 gearing set-up you're running now. Good luck
Hey Jspeed Im thinking of coming to Homestead in January whats the gear/ motor combination. And whats a good motor to adhere to the $280 limit?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hey Jspeed Im thinking of coming to Homestead in January whats the gear/ motor combination. And whats a good motor to adhere to the $280 limit?
You’ll probably need to gear much taller than Floyd; something like 16/20’s or even 16/21’s with 44/48’s might work well.

Also consider that since you’re running the Cobra GT chassis, you might be better off asking Desoto what gearing options he suggests for the Homestead layout and why, as it’s basically Serpent America’s home track.

I would also factor in what the actual time length of the main for that race is supposed to be.

Good luck.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote