R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Suffolk, Va - Baltimore, Md
Posts: 23
Send a message via AIM to Vyrus
Default Best glow plug ignitor?...

Quick and simple: Have any tests /comparisons been done with glow plug ignitors? Please feel free to post personal opinion IF you have experience with multiple chargers. I'm willing to spend up to $40 to get something good.

Mine tend to die often, really irritating when I walk 1/2 mile to get my car/truck going and then walk home because the battery is gone. It's not the chargers fault, it's old and been used 100s of times. I have the C-cell battery ones, the batteries die to quickly and it becomes very expensive. Anyways I noticed most of them are NiCD, does anyone make a NiMH charger? I'd prefer to buy one with a meter on it (easier/ more reliable than pulling the plug to see if its lighting).

Let me know what's up.
Thanks,
-Cyrus
Vyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
Tech Champion
 
danjoy25's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,149
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Re: Best glow plug ignitor?...

Quote:
Originally posted by Vyrus
Quick and simple: Have any tests /comparisons been done with glow plug ignitors? Please feel free to post personal opinion IF you have experience with multiple chargers. I'm willing to spend up to $40 to get something good.

Mine tend to die often, really irritating when I walk 1/2 mile to get my car/truck going and then walk home because the battery is gone. It's not the chargers fault, it's old and been used 100s of times. I have the C-cell battery ones, the batteries die to quickly and it becomes very expensive. Anyways I noticed most of them are NiCD, does anyone make a NiMH charger? I'd prefer to buy one with a meter on it (easier/ more reliable than pulling the plug to see if its lighting).

Let me know what's up.
Thanks,
-Cyrus
I think the best one will rely on the batteries you use. Try getting one with a 3600 or 3700 mah nimh cell and this will last you all week.
__________________
Awesomatix A800 & A800X/ Mugen MTX-5 / 3 Racing F113 / Kyosho RB5 / Kyosho Mini-Z
danjoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Suffolk, Va - Baltimore, Md
Posts: 23
Send a message via AIM to Vyrus
Default

I have heard that the FT Associated ignitor comes with a 3000mah NiMH, and you can buy it for $19.99+ shipping at Tower hobbies. Seems like that can't be beat. Shipping there is really expensive for just one thing, so you guys looking to buy it might want to wait until you have a list of things.
-Cyrus
Vyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:27 PM   #4
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Vyrus, get the one with the meter at the end. And also get one that you can change and replace the sub C cell if it's dead. You should be able to get sub C cells cheap and easy.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 115
Default

Thats the one I'm using now. I like it a lot.
mgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:02 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
Seisick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 845
Default

the ae ft glow charger comes with a 125ma charger, metered cap and a panasonic 3000 sub c, best value so far for a glow starter, 19.99 on tower, ask your lhs, ah and itīs replaceable!
__________________
HobbymaniA
GoT MuGeN?
Seisick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:22 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
cdelong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 1,805
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

get a starter box with a gel cell and a power panel- you'll never have a dead battery.
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
revzalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nor * Cal
Posts: 958
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I have a Dynamite Glow Ignitor that takes in Sub Cs. It works great and I have additional Sub Cs just in case the other dies out.
revzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
tommi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: MATRIX
Posts: 2,898
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Vyrus, get the one with the meter at the end. And also get one that you can change and replace the sub C cell if it's dead. You should be able to get sub C cells cheap and easy.
Hey D, how about the glow ignitor that Unc. Yokomo uses?
The ignitor uses an external source of power, such as the gel cell, hence no worries on dead batteries. I forgot what's the brand, couldn't come up with any further info..
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:51 AM   #10
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tommi
Hey D, how about the glow ignitor that Unc. Yokomo uses?
The ignitor uses an external source of power, such as the gel cell, hence no worries on dead batteries. I forgot what's the brand, couldn't come up with any further info..
Q World makes one I think. I know Serpent also makes one.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
patriot glow plug ignitor Nikonianmike Rookie Zone 1 08-27-2008 08:23 PM
Glow Plug Ignitor & RTR Taymia Horent MUST GO InsaneRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 12-05-2007 10:41 AM
Nitro accessories needed: Glow Plugs, Glow Ignitor, Temp Gun Cain R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 8 07-05-2006 06:22 PM
Will a standard glow ignitor work on a turbo glow plugs? Ducati998 Nitro On-Road 3 01-20-2003 12:54 AM
HPI glow ignitor F/S roadrunnerspeed R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 04-03-2002 10:45 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:25 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net