R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-11-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default piston and sleeve question

aparently someone advice me to post here, so i guess ill give it a try

i am doing a project on non traditional manufacturing processes and i chose the process of making the piston and sleeve as my topic.

i have some idea on how the piston and sleeve is made, but some parts still puzzle me. anyone know what is the process? what i know is the sleeve material is aluminum brass chrome or AAC which im not sure what it stands for. im guessing for ABC, the chrome is plated onto the brass. CNC lathed, and honed to a mirror finish. the ports are then grinded. the piston is cast aluminum or microcast, or powder metal with some other alloys or elements mixed in and cnc lathed. correct me if im wrong

another thing i want to know is anyone have and idea how much of these engines they make in a month? i know different company have different production #, but roughly how much say novarossi make in a month

any other information that might help is greatly appreciated
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 04:05 AM   #2
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: piston and sleeve question

Quote:
Originally posted by disaster999
aparently someone advice me to post here, so i guess ill give it a try

i am doing a project on non traditional manufacturing processes and i chose the process of making the piston and sleeve as my topic.

i have some idea on how the piston and sleeve is made, but some parts still puzzle me. anyone know what is the process? what i know is the sleeve material is aluminum brass chrome or AAC which im not sure what it stands for. im guessing for ABC, the chrome is plated onto the brass. CNC lathed, and honed to a mirror finish. the ports are then grinded. the piston is cast aluminum or microcast, or powder metal with some other alloys or elements mixed in and cnc lathed. correct me if im wrong

another thing i want to know is anyone have and idea how much of these engines they make in a month? i know different company have different production #, but roughly how much say novarossi make in a month

any other information that might help is greatly appreciated
AAC = chrome is plated on to aluminum sleeve
ABC = chrome is plated on to brass sleeve

Ports are first grinded on sleeve prior to chrome plating.

Rest of process is more or less as you described it.

In this forum, there is a thread from Palmaris engines, and the owner Edward (TG777) produces BRB (Berilium) piston and sleeve replacements for most Nova based engines plus his own engine.
His products are made in Russia. You might try asking him at his PM service.

AFM

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: piston and sleeve question

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
AAC = chrome is plated on to aluminum sleeve
ABC = chrome is plated on to brass sleeve

Ports are first grinded on sleeve prior to chrome plating.

Rest of process is more or less as you described it.

In this forum, there is a thread from Palmaris engines, and the owner Edward (TG777) produces BRB (Berilium) piston and sleeve replacements for most Nova based engines plus his own engine.
His products are made in Russia. You might try asking him at his PM service.

AFM

AFM
thanks AFM, regarding the grinding on the sleeve, on RB concept's website, they said they hand grind the ports on their top end engine for "precision". do they handgrind all of them or are they CNC milled or some sort?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: piston and sleeve question

Quote:
Originally posted by disaster999
thanks AFM, regarding the grinding on the sleeve, on RB concept's website, they said they hand grind the ports on their top end engine for "precision". do they handgrind all of them or are they CNC milled or some sort?
Most manufacturers and tuners hand grind top modified racing engines, over base production engine which is CNC machined.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote