R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk
Default RTV or JBweld?

the engine im using in my NT1 has a stripped pinch bolt, so ive had to just stuff it in as tight as possible and hope for the best. though on the bench i can see the carb move as a i blip the throttle, and sometimes after a run, the car will idle very high with the carb closed, so its probably getting air in around the base.

i need a new engine, but im broken from the nt1 and prepping my wgt.. unless someone has a crank case for a os12trP i can buy, what works better for a ghetto fix?
RTV seal around the base, or jbweld the fecker in there?

I have an older novarossi, but that motor is a bitch to tune and keep running. this motor has lots of compression and runs like a champ aside from the odd oddity. i think if i seal it up, it will run for a good while until i can get a new engine.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Why not just replace the pinch bolt?
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

cause i cant get it out. the nut just turns. i could press it out though?
I have the other motor but i doubt the bolt would be the same. this os has a plastic sleeve that the carb slips into before going into the hole.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The OS Carbs have a "Thermal Insulator" that the pinch bolt bites into to secure the Carb to the Block. If this fractures or unbonds itself, it can be replaced, cost about $12,(rebonded with high temperture Epoxy). Over tieghtening the pinch bolt is very easy to do and not good.

I'd bet this is your problen.

And BTW, don't continue to run the engine with the Carb unsecured.

"Every Cemetery in Chicago Votes Democrat!"
el salvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Tech Elite

I guess i could take a better look at this nova based motor for the short term. can i replace the pinch bolt with one from another os motor? when i got this motor it had a dent in the part that slips into the crank case too, which i assume was from too tight a bolt. will it still seal properly, after replacing? or should i just jbweld the fecker and run it til it blows up?
Old 05-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Lightbulb

The pinch bolt from a TZ would work, I've got a TR w/TZ Carb fitted into it.
Works great !

"Every Cemetery in Chicago Votes Democrat!"
el salvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Tech Elite

if i could get it for the right price, would a tz crank case take the TR internals? i might try shoe gooing it, and if that doesnt work, i have another engine, its just a bitch to tune and keep running =\
Old 05-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You need to get the insulator out of the case. If you can figure out a way to do that, your problems are solved. Then you can either repair your existing carb or replace it.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Tech Elite

there isnt anything wrong with the carb really. just has a small dent in the sleeved side from over tightening. i wasnt able to get the pinch bolt out but the one in my novamega wouldnt fit anyway unless i dril out the hole a little bigger. that is an option, but for now, i just fitted my sx12 to the nt1 to test out, and shoe goo'd the carb onto the block of the os. after sitting over night, the car is VERY secured. ill fire it up later and test it out.

i wont add to the nitro/vs/electric thing but it DOES kinda suck everytime you touch these things even just a little, how filthy you get lol. but cant call yourself a mechanic if your hands come away clean
Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Tech Elite

jb weld worked great. though when reassembling the motor i found a spare pinch bolt in my kit lol.
would have still needed a thermal isolator.. not a motor worth spending money on though.

runs fantastic now though. idles like a dream and responds very nicely. enough to finish the season.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
jb weld worked great. though when reassembling the
runs fantastic now though. idles like a dream and responds very nicely. enough to finish the season.
To Finish the season? It just started!!!! Hate to say it, I will buy you a Timmies XL, if that carb lasts all season! Hell, I have had motors that didnt last a season.

Cya Sunday!

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
Tech Elite

ill take that bet, i do love timmies.

not terribly worried. the motor idles better than it ever has since iv'e owned it. if i hit something hard enough to break jbweld, the xray is probably in a pile of little pieces too.