Wiki Posts
Search

STS .28 pull-start engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davo798
i need to go buy some new plugs so what is a good plug to run with 20% OD? the ones i had before were not hot enough so i need a plug on the hot side.

thanks
im using enya hot plug. i've tried OS...but seems to be leaking.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Dave
you have a pm. lets get you a new motor. quit messing with a bad one
Old 08-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

man... when im gonna get such offer

so how's the .30 Ryan?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok guys i am just about ready to pull this motor out and use it as a paper weight!!!! . When the motor is running its a rocket no doubt. So whats the problem you ask? Actually getting it to start. It takes forever and i mean forever. I have tried leaning the LSN, i have tried richening the LSN. I have tried 2 different pipes. I am running a medium plug (LRP no:4). I am all out of ideas, please help!!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:00 AM
Tech Champion

ok, this is my experience... i use hot plug.
i open up like more than 1mm gap the carb. i pull the pressure fuel hose from pipe & blow. i stop when the fuel reaches the carb. i peak my glow starter & push it on the starter box, it normally start. at least start and if died afterward..meaning the tuning problem. mine 2T HSN, LSN 4T.
anything else...u shud open the engine to check.

this i use on my truggy(no pullstart).

Last edited by jfc_tech; 08-24-2006 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Tech Elite

jfc, I have the roto start version. I run 20% nitro and it doesnt seem to matter how much or little throttle you use.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:13 AM
Tech Champion

ok....
i know this.. to start engine need only 3 things.
1) Air: check your air filter, Carb opening, idle screw
2)Fire: glow plug, get the hot one or the medium one(yer LRP no.4 is it hot or cold?)
3)Fuel: good fuel(old usually it will not start) & fuel flow. restricted or not.

Im using 25% nitro & the 28 built for 30%. need to remove shims to 0.3mm or 0.4mm.

check this 3. if these ok... open your engine. have a look inside.something not right.
for me... always my glow starter . i borrowed from firneds..it start rightfully.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:20 AM
Tech Champion

check this
engine start! and here
tuning link at RC Car Action
Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

95% of the time its your glow ignitor not being hot enough. Charge it up to its max , replace the batteries if its that type. If that doesnt do it , give your glow-ignitor a nice clean in some alcohol to remove the oils and such. Dry it and retry.

I know with the ones that use D and C cell alkalines. You get maybe 1 minutes worth of power time thats effective enough to start the motor its first start. Otherwise you gotta give them a rest so they can return there power back to a high enough level to start your car.

I highly suggest the hobbico lattern style battery starter or a starter box power panel if you have one. This will give you ample time and juice to start these big boys.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Slo-MTX4
Ok guys i am just about ready to pull this motor out and use it as a paper weight!!!! . When the motor is running its a rocket no doubt. So whats the problem you ask? Actually getting it to start. It takes forever and i mean forever. I have tried leaning the LSN, i have tried richening the LSN. I have tried 2 different pipes. I am running a medium plug (LRP no:4). I am all out of ideas, please help!!
ok so motor runs good but is hard to start. is it hard to start the first time when its cold, or hard to start when it is hot. How old is the motor. does it show any sign of a front bearing leak.
if its hard to start cold . is it flooding or not getting fuel? richen or lean the LSN as needed. also be sure to run the motor out of fuel and use just a little after run oil . this make allot of difference in restarting esp if your killing by plugging the pipe and flooding out the motor.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ryan6682
ok so motor runs good but is hard to start. is it hard to start the first time when its cold, or hard to start when it is hot. How old is the motor. does it show any sign of a front bearing leak.
if its hard to start cold . is it flooding or not getting fuel? richen or lean the LSN as needed. also be sure to run the motor out of fuel and use just a little after run oil . this make allot of difference in restarting esp if your killing by plugging the pipe and flooding out the motor.
Doesnt matter wether hot or cold. The motor has barely had 3 litres through it and is only about 4 or so weeks old. Front bearing is fine compression is great. I have tried leaning and richening the LSN makes no difference. I have found that on my starter box which has inbuilt glow igniter that the power wire was only hanging on be a few strands and have now rewired and soldered all power wires so fingers crossed this was the problem.

jfc, the plug is a medium however i will get some hot ones and try them also.

Thanks for the input guys its such a shame that this is happening as this motor is a dead set rocket.

Cheers Dan
Old 08-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ya you must get a hot plug. i just got a mc 59 and the engine is running great now
Old 08-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Well Guys i am happy to report my troubles seem to be over. I rewired the starter box and fired first go. Warmed it up stopped it and same thing first go.

AI, you are right it doesnt like being stopped by the pipe much so i will change the way i do that.

I would like to once again thank you all for your information it has helped me greatly.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
95% of the time its your glow ignitor not being hot enough.
I agree I use a power panel for every day starting (mounted into my r/c box). Its got a dial for how much heat I want
Runs on a 12V 7AH battery so lasts a long long time.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slo-MTX4
Well Guys i am happy to report my troubles seem to be over. I rewired the starter box and fired first go. Warmed it up stopped it and same thing first go.

AI, you are right it doesnt like being stopped by the pipe much so i will change the way i do that.

I would like to once again thank you all for your information it has helped me greatly.
I think that was ryan that spoke about not using the pipe shutdown method. But yeah I come to the personal conclusion that stopping a motor by the flywheel is the best method. A shoe or anything rubbery and that you can apply pressure to on the flywheel.

I agree with not using pipe method , it just loads the engine up so the next fire is a hard one.

I know other people who pinch off their fuel lines. Im always afraid this might shoot the motor up in rpm...but thats another way to try. I havent tried that method.

But yeah its always the starter. Its really come down to that most of the time , at least if the needle settings are right.

Air + Fuel + spark = engine will run. One of those is missing , it wont fire and its near impossible to not have fuel and air entering an engine if everything is right. Its almost always the spark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.