R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2005, 05:26 PM   #16
Tech Elite
 
EdwardN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by theRED5
I've been involved in RC modeling for my entire life, my Dad flew controlline planes and RC planes when I was just a kid. When Byron's Fuel first came out I was flying 4 stroke airplanes, and they were the first, as I recall that made 4 stroke fuel. For the last 5 or 6 years racing cars, I've used Byron's fuel and never had an engine blow up because of fuel. I've always liked that they use "Klotz" brand racing oil, and find that the engines are very clean inside the combustion areas.

But lately, I've been wondering, if your fuel leaves deposits, aren't they increasing the compression ratio, boosting the performance of the engine?
I have been involve in this hobby since 1976 (13 years old) and most of my life was running FAI fuel (80% methanol and 20% castor). Then I come to RCcars and here I tryed different types. The best fuel is defenetly O'Donnell. It doesn't leav any residue nowhere-cranckshafts are always clean and no rust or other spots, even if I leave engine without washing for more then month-I never clean my engines.
About build up of varnish on botton and top of piston-vernish is engine killer. It works as insulation and don't let survaces to cool down. They have to be removed as they start build up.
Top of the piston and combustion surface on botton must to become dark brown on new engine after 8-10 tanks and it should be not a build up, it just very very tiny layer. From most of the fuel I did indicated real build up and after I have tryed O'Donnell I don't have this any more, this is why I don't clean my motors-simple no need it.
It is very easy to see the difference between "good" or "bad" brown build up-"good" is shiny and "bad" is not. "Bad" build up will come out easy with just by trying wipe it off by finger and "good build" up will not come out at all, unless sand paper used.
Edward
Edward
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:51 AM   #17
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

so any brands better than o'donnel ?

don't get wrong impression I'm using o'donnel 25% and I'm happy to use it because it's crystal clear and it doesn't give me sticky or gummy leftover. The smell of the smoke is okay too, it doesn't stink my nose and eyes.
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:26 AM   #18
Tech Elite
 
EdwardN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576
so any brands better than o'donnel ?

don't get wrong impression I'm using o'donnel 25% and I'm happy to use it because it's crystal clear and it doesn't give me sticky or gummy leftover. The smell of the smoke is okay too, it doesn't stink my nose and eyes.
No, You got me wrong-O'Donnell is the best fuel I saw for over the many years. I am highely recomend it to everybody.
It doesn't build up any warnish, it doesn't contain any water ( like many other brands do)
Edward
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 AM   #19
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Default

It doesn't happen to my motor what you described O ' donnell did to yours'. The main bearing and crankshaft in my motor rusted badly while on this stuff after two weeks. It was a brand new motor. This stuff runs real hot, motor bogs down after a couple of tanks. It sounded rich with lots of smoke but I am still burning plugs.My motor will quit for unknown reasons. Tuning most of the time. Problem went away after switching fuel.



Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
I have been involve in this hobby since 1976 (13 years old) and most of my life was running FAI fuel (80% methanol and 20% castor). Then I come to RCcars and here I tryed different types. The best fuel is defenetly O'Donnell. It doesn't leav any residue nowhere-cranckshafts are always clean and no rust or other spots, even if I leave engine without washing for more then month-I never clean my engines.
About build up of varnish on botton and top of piston-vernish is engine killer. It works as insulation and don't let survaces to cool down. They have to be removed as they start build up.
Top of the piston and combustion surface on botton must to become dark brown on new engine after 8-10 tanks and it should be not a build up, it just very very tiny layer. From most of the fuel I did indicated real build up and after I have tryed O'Donnell I don't have this any more, this is why I don't clean my motors-simple no need it.
It is very easy to see the difference between "good" or "bad" brown build up-"good" is shiny and "bad" is not. "Bad" build up will come out easy with just by trying wipe it off by finger and "good build" up will not come out at all, unless sand paper used.
Edward
Edward
baldwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #20
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by baldwinn
It sounded rich with lots of smoke but I am still burning plugs.
Strange. I believe O'Donnell only produces a slight amount of smokes even when the engine tuning is still rich...
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:02 AM   #21
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
Strange. I believe O'Donnell only produces a slight amount of smokes even when the engine tuning is still rich...
exactly the point, you noticed only slight amount of smoke even when engine tuning is still rich, am I suppose to lean it when it is still rich ? with so little smoke running rich, will the smoke trail disappear after leaning? What does it say about its oil content? less oil less smoke.
baldwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:09 AM   #22
Tech Elite
 
EdwardN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by baldwinn
It doesn't happen to my motor what you described O ' donnell did to yours'. The main bearing and crankshaft in my motor rusted badly while on this stuff after two weeks. It was a brand new motor. This stuff runs real hot, motor bogs down after a couple of tanks. It sounded rich with lots of smoke but I am still burning plugs.My motor will quit for unknown reasons. Tuning most of the time. Problem went away after switching fuel.
Many times burned glow plugs doesn't mean too lean. In most cases t will need adjust combustion chamber volume. By switching fuel it might be different nitro content and it is reason why it stops byrning glow plugs-might be less nitro and it is OK with little too small combustion volume.
About rust-it is totaly strange. Are you sure you use fairely new fuel which was propoerly closed and never absorbs moister?
Edward
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #23
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Many times burned glow plugs doesn't mean too lean. In most cases t will need adjust combustion chamber volume. By switching fuel it might be different nitro content and it is reason why it stops byrning glow plugs-might be less nitro and it is OK with little too small combustion volume.
About rust-it is totaly strange. Are you sure you use fairely new fuel which was propoerly closed and never absorbs moister?
Edward
Edward, nitro content was the same. Motor was new , I picked up a new gallon from the same shop, can't figure how long it was lying there.
baldwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:32 AM   #24
Tech Elite
 
EdwardN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by baldwinn
Edward, nitro content was the same. Motor was new , I picked up a new gallon from the same shop, can't figure how long it was lying there.
Sound is totaly creasy. I am using O'Donnell for last 6 month and went through a lot of engines and different brands-never got even small peice of rust. For 6 month I went through about 16 gallons-always everything is clean and shiny inside. Some motors been on hold for 2-3 month and ones in while I open them to see and result is just great.
Is that black or white label? I use black type label.
Edward
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #25
Tech Master
 
cdelong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 1,805
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

try to buy your fuel from a shop where inventory does not sit on the shelf. even if it is still sealed, it can go bad after a while. temperature changes will cause mositure to develop on the inside of the container (just like a gas tank). I recommend a few drops of marvel mystery oil down the carb barrel and in the head- then bump it over quick on the starter to disperse the oil in the crankcase.
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic
 
teammpp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
Anyone experience the Runner Time or Cosmo RC Fuel?
We only run our engines on Runner Time now. Noticed a considerable performance gain and the Palmaris really likes it. No fancy stuff in it. Just plain clear grade AAA Nitro. Not the cheapest but worth the extra money for a gallon.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:04 PM   #27
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
We only run our engines on Runner Time now.
Isn't Runner Time produced by the same company that makes Tornado fuels?

BTW, I think Cosmo RC fuel is only available in HK and mainly in Japan if I'm not mistaken... Good stuff apparently.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:36 PM   #28
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Is it okay to switch fuel ? my LHS don't have o'donnel fuel at the moment and I'm running low...... I don't want to borrow fuel from him. Is it okay if I switch to Tornado fuel ? Both are rated 25% nitro. Any precaution ?
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:43 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice
 
tenderfoot57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 68
Send a message via AIM to tenderfoot57 Send a message via Yahoo to tenderfoot57
Default

Hey all, You are all talking about good fuel and I am surprised that no one has mentioned Wildcat fuels. In my opinion the best.
I have been running 30% in an RB x-12 Rody for probably 60 races. The engine always starts instantly NEVER flames out and has been very fast. I have only gone through 3 glow plugs in a year and a half.(MC-59) favorite none turbo glow plug. Until last week I had never taken the engine apart, and I let it sit for 5 months last winter with no after run oil and it has been sitting this year since October. No rust and only had residue on top of piston. It will take something very drastic to happen for me to switch fuels. I really enjoy not having to worry about my engine.
tenderfoot57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:49 PM   #30
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tenderfoot57
Hey all, You are all talking about good fuel and I am surprised that no one has mentioned Wildcat fuels.
That's because not all fuels are accessible to everybody around the world. In the asian market, I don't think anybody has tried Wildcat fuels. Perhaps that unfortunate.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any performance to be lost by adding my own color dye to clear fuel? MattP Nitro Off-Road 17 04-09-2008 09:45 PM
O'Donnell Racing Fuel vs. R2R Fuel SKOT Nitro Off-Road 4 12-28-2007 07:34 PM
Tower Hobbies Power 20% nitro fuel VS Trinity Monster Brew 20% nitro fuel? needhelpPLZ? Nitro Off-Road 1 07-23-2007 06:01 AM
<NEW> MONSTER TRUCK FUEL FROM MAXY'S PRO RACING FUEL !!!! <Maxy's> Nelson Racing Forum 0 11-08-2005 10:13 AM
Does O'Donnell fuel make a huge accel. gain on HPI fuel Smoke21 Nitro On-Road 3 05-03-2004 05:44 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:03 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net