Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEGA (by Picco) thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Tech Addict

Gidday,

Bev and Trev may do. They will be open tommorrow arvo going by an email i got. If you cant get any from them, ring custom model cars in Sydney (02)95794007 and ask for Darren. He should have them and if so would im sure ship them to your motel room.

BTW my first motor i was using seemed to be an early one with plastic sleave for the carb to mount to and slightly tighter bend on the exhaust. I broke the conrod unfortunately and had to buy a new motor. The new motor is extremely fast!

Hope this helps
Good luck
Mike
Old 06-12-2005, 12:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Brett.w
Thanks for the Tip

Are you racing at the winternats?
Yeh man!

i'll be getting there on the friday for some practice, being a new track and all. How about yourself? coming over from NZ to race at the WC?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Now that I've gotten the engine working correctly I'm really starting to like it. I do find that it is a bit more sensitive to tuning, but that's a good thing. What I like is that the characteristics of how the engine performs once its warmed up actually tell you if it's rich or lean. With a NR based engine, you could lean that sucker out and it's going to keep running until it cooks. My ZX 12 feels different. When it starts off, it almost always feels rich. Based on my NR tuning experience I would start by leaning it out. Which would get it going, but once it really warmed up, I would notice that it's power seemed a little flat. Again, with NR tuning in mind I thought "it must need to be leaned out" but upon doing so, the power actually seems to get worse. I had a Serpent guy finally help me out and I noticed that when it got this "flatness" it, it actually needed to be richened up, and instantly the engine took off like a rocket. With my limited experience with it I've gathered this. If when you start the engine up and hit the track it's absolutely flying, it's probably too lean and will need to be richened up when it really warms up. WHen I start it from now on I am looking for the engine to sound just a little rich until it warms up, then tune accordingly. How do you other ZX12 owners feel? have you had similar experiences?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:52 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

The ZX-21 also needs a rich bottom setting.
Just go from 4-stroking rich to "normal" setting and don't lean the engine anymore than that.......
Old 06-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gonzoY5
Now that I've gotten the engine working correctly I'm really starting to like it. I do find that it is a bit more sensitive to tuning, but that's a good thing. What I like is that the characteristics of how the engine performs once its warmed up actually tell you if it's rich or lean. With a NR based engine, you could lean that sucker out and it's going to keep running until it cooks. My ZX 12 feels different. When it starts off, it almost always feels rich. Based on my NR tuning experience I would start by leaning it out. Which would get it going, but once it really warmed up, I would notice that it's power seemed a little flat. Again, with NR tuning in mind I thought "it must need to be leaned out" but upon doing so, the power actually seems to get worse. I had a Serpent guy finally help me out and I noticed that when it got this "flatness" it, it actually needed to be richened up, and instantly the engine took off like a rocket. With my limited experience with it I've gathered this. If when you start the engine up and hit the track it's absolutely flying, it's probably too lean and will need to be richened up when it really warms up. WHen I start it from now on I am looking for the engine to sound just a little rich until it warms up, then tune accordingly. How do you other ZX12 owners feel? have you had similar experiences?
I agree with you %100. I have noticed the same thing. This motor really likes to run rich on the low end. Despite the fact that I am running it at what seems to be pretty rich setting I still get decent gas mileage out ot it.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Julius Kolff told me that he sets the idle needle first after warming up the engine. Once warmed up, he sets the idle needle so that after 10 seconds of running at idle, the engine sound rich when hitting the throttle, then hitting the throttle again, the engine should rev cleanly.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

in qual. my mega runs run great but then gets about 4mins in and then starts to over heat and stall at around 325degrees.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by roadrage
in qual. my mega runs run great but then gets about 4mins in and then starts to over heat and stall at around 325degrees.
I had that same problem. You're starting too lean. You gotta start the warm ups rich and when it gets hot it will be just right. It was hard for me to get used to that. But it's just crazy, when it gets like that, You richen it up and it will get faster!
Old 06-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Default ZX12 - Turned Bushing

Maybe someone from Serpent can comment on this. I was with a friend who was taking his engine apart to change the conrod. When we were inspecting it, we noticed that the bushing had been turned from its original position. We knew this because the lubrication hole that's drilled on the bushing no longer matched the hole that's on the rod. It turned about a quarter of the way. This seems to make a TON of sense on why the conrods are snapping. Has anyone else noticed this? or is this an old issue? Any opinions from engine guru's? Maybe this is what Serpent needs to correct.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Gonyz5,
That is the problem. Your friend caught it at a perfect time to replace it. What happens is the lower portion of the rod ( Connecting to the crank ) Starts to strech , Which allows the bushing to turn, And as it continues to strech.....POP...

Austin,
It does sound like you are starting out too lean from the start. This motor loves to have a rich low end setting, And it will seem pretty fat for your first 2-3 laps. Then it does come up to temp. It Has alot to do with the type or # of Alum. they are using.Bring that motor to Ft. Myers for the club race. And Show Bobby how it's done.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:02 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

After the 3rd round in the dutch championship last weekend, I've replaced the conrod in my ZX-21...

The same problem appeared in the small-end for my engine, the bushing came out a bit.......
If it's turned I didn't check ......
Old 06-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Hey 1FastSerpent you got PM
Old 06-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stefan
Picco always had a problem with their .12's conrod and obviously they haven't fixed it yet.

I still have 3 Picco .12's which are fast as hell, but I would never use one of them in a long race.
I have seen too many rods go south.
Are there any conrods that you can use instead of a picco?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

thanks mark.Bobby already knows to stay out of my way.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Tech Addict

Default Mega Plugs

Hey all.

I was wondering if someone knew what the heat ranges are on the new mega plugs for the zx12 engine.

Also it would be double super if serpent could stamp the plugs with the heat range particulars like nova/os ones i've used so i dont have to remember which is what

They seem to be a great plug for the price too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.