R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 01-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro TC3 Engine Replacement HELP

So, I'd like to bring my Team Associated Nitro TC3 back from the dead. The only issue is that the engine has seen better days. What is a good "bang for the buck" direct engine replacement for my car? I'm looking for an engine that requires little to no modifications to the engine or car. I've always heard of having to cut the shafts or the engines in or for them to work in certian applications. What about issues with the clutch and all that? Thanks in advanced.
1fastmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmach1 View Post
So, I'd like to bring my Team Associated Nitro TC3 back from the dead. The only issue is that the engine has seen better days. What is a good "bang for the buck" direct engine replacement for my car? I'm looking for an engine that requires little to no modifications to the engine or car. I've always heard of having to cut the shafts or the engines in or for them to work in certian applications. What about issues with the clutch and all that? Thanks in advanced.
I just bought a OFNA Picco .12 on eBay for one of mine. There is a guy on there selling them for $70. I bought the 5 port but the ones he has now are the 51121 3 port, SG crank, slide carb. It is a direct drop in, runs great! Not a racing engine but for $70 it is plenty fast for bashing and definitely bang for the buck!
Jake C6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake C6R View Post
I just bought a OFNA Picco .12 on eBay for one of mine. There is a guy on there selling them for $70. I bought the 5 port but the ones he has now are the 51121 3 port, SG crank, slide carb. It is a direct drop in, runs great! Not a racing engine but for $70 it is plenty fast for bashing and definitely bang for the buck!
First, thanks for the quick response...

What about the flywheel, clutch, and the rest of the throttle and breaking linkage?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
First, thanks for the quick response...

What about the flywheel, clutch, and the rest of the throttle and breaking linkage?
Just swap everything over from the old engine to the new one. Use the same flywheel and clutch. I think I had to use a couple more clutch shims but other than that everything swapped over. The only thing I had to change was the linkage because the AE .12 had a rotary carb and the new engine has a slide carb.

You sill use the same linkage just change the setup on the servo horn. The manual shows exactly how to do it.

Oh and one more thing the Picco has a larger carb opening so I needed a bigger air filter. I used one from a Losi LST and it worked dandy. You could also use a Traxxas TMaxx air filter or something similar.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Just swap everything over from the old engine to the new one. Use the same flywheel and clutch. I think I had to use a couple more clutch shims but other than that everything swapped over. The only thing I had to change was the linkage because the AE .12 had a rotary carb and the new engine has a slide carb.

You sill use the same linkage just change the setup on the servo horn. The manual shows exactly how to do it.

Oh and one more thing the Picco has a larger carb opening so I needed a bigger air filter. I used one from a Losi LST and it worked dandy. You could also use a Traxxas TMaxx air filter or something similar.
Sweet. That's a solid option for sure. Do you know anything about this engine? It says that its a direct replacement except for a few minor things. Any other ideas besides the picco?

osengines.com/engines/osmg2105.html
Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
Tech Addict

That .18 is a nice engine as well, though I would want a non-pullstart since I use a starter box. I don't know how everything holds up with the power of a .18.

I got to thinking if you are replacing a stock motor then you probably have a side exhaust? Because the Picco I told you about it a rear exhaust and if you don't have one you will need a new manifold, springs and pipe.

Are you looking for a side exhaust or rear? Looks like that OS .18 is a rear exhaust also.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Quote:
That .18 is a nice engine as well, though I would want a non-pullstart since I use a starter box. I don't know how everything holds up with the power of a .18.

I got to thinking if you are replacing a stock motor then you probably have a side exhaust? Because the Picco I told you about it a rear exhaust and if you don't have one you will need a new manifold, springs and pipe.

Are you looking for a side exhaust or rear? Looks like that OS .18 is a rear exhaust also.
As far as the exhaust I don't care either way. I know the side exhaust is pretty messy on the body of the car so I'm sure the rear exhaust would be a little cleaner. Any suggestion for an exhaust pipe for that picco? Whats this spring you speak of? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Tech Addict

With the rear exhaust it is held in place by a spring that wraps around the crankcase. On this one I am using a AE Factory Team rear exhaust. I also ordered a "generic" rear exhaust off eBay from a guy in the UK for another engine I have. He lists it as a Associated NTC3 Shiny Inline Rear Exhaust Pipe Manifold. I paid about $15 so I figure why not give it a shot, it comes with the manifold, pipe, spring and gaskets! Have not received it yet but I didn't want to spend the $$$ for another Factory Team setup.

I took some pictures for you so you can see the setup I am taking about, hope this helps you.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Quote:
With the rear exhaust it is held in place by a spring that wraps around the crankcase. On this one I am using a AE Factory Team rear exhaust. I also ordered a "generic" rear exhaust off eBay from a guy in the UK for another engine I have. He lists it as a Associated NTC3 Shiny Inline Rear Exhaust Pipe Manifold. I paid about $15 so I figure why not give it a shot, it comes with the manifold, pipe, spring and gaskets! Have not received it yet but I didn't want to spend the $$$ for another Factory Team setup.

I took some pictures for you so you can see the setup I am taking about, hope this helps you.
I gotcha. The exhaust manifold in the picture isn't being held to the engine with the 2 screws like the stock manifold on the stock engine? I like all the blue aluminum parts. I see yours has the 2 speed gears. I'm definitely wanting to add that to my car. I suppose that the standard crack length allows you to have either the one or two speed system on it? Where do you get the majority of your parts at anyway? I have a local shop here where I'm at but they stock tons of crap for train sets. They don't have many rc vehicles or accessories on the shelves. Of course they can order most of what anyone would want but he overcharges on everything. Besides, the guy that runs it is a total jack wagon.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
I gotcha. The exhaust manifold in the picture isn't being held to the engine with the 2 screws like the stock manifold on the stock engine? I like all the blue aluminum parts. I see yours has the 2 speed gears. I'm definitely wanting to add that to my car. I suppose that the standard crack length allows you to have either the one or two speed system on it? Where do you get the majority of your parts at anyway? I have a local shop here where I'm at but they stock tons of crap for train sets. They don't have many rc vehicles or accessories on the shelves. Of course they can order most of what anyone would want but he overcharges on everything. Besides, the guy that runs it is a total jack wagon.
No, the manifold is held on by the spring you can see wrapped around the crankcase. Just make sure you use 1/10 springs, the 1/8 are too long.

Most of the parts I either got via fleabay, my LHS or by purchasing a lots of spare parts along with used cars. The cool thing about NTC3's is that they have been around over 10 years and are not state of the art, so people have lots of parts and/or cars that they want to get rid of cheap. Since I use mine for bashing I don't need the fastest, best handling car that is out there. They are plenty fast and easy to work on, and parts are easy to find.

And yes the two speed kit fits on the standard crank, it comes with all the parts you need to change it over. Much more fun with the two speed plus love the sound when it shifts!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Quote:
No, the manifold is held on by the spring you can see wrapped around the crankcase. Just make sure you use 1/10 springs, the 1/8 are too long.

Most of the parts I either got via fleabay, my LHS or by purchasing a lots of spare parts along with used cars. The cool thing about NTC3's is that they have been around over 10 years and are not state of the art, so people have lots of parts and/or cars that they want to get rid of cheap. Since I use mine for bashing I don't need the fastest, best handling car that is out there. They are plenty fast and easy to work on, and parts are easy to find.

And yes the two speed kit fits on the standard crank, it comes with all the parts you need to change it over. Much more fun with the two speed plus love the sound when it shifts!
Good deal. I guess I'll order the engine and the exhaust system and get it all ready for a nice "warmer" day. I don't race mine or anything obviously, I just fool with it to pass the time. It's been laying in my closet for a couple years untouched. Ordered some new wheels and tires for it along with a new HPI body to go on it. It should be good to go in a couple weeks. You say they aren't state of the art anymore. What are some of the nice touring cars out these days? It was a beast when I bought it.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:
Good deal. I guess I'll order the engine and the exhaust system and get it all ready for a nice "warmer" day. I don't race mine or anything obviously, I just fool with it to pass the time. It's been laying in my closet for a couple years untouched. Ordered some new wheels and tires for it along with a new HPI body to go on it. It should be good to go in a couple weeks. You say they aren't state of the art anymore. What are some of the nice touring cars out these days? It was a beast when I bought it.
Good question, I don't even know what the latest and greatest is, I am sure there is a lot of debate on that! The NTC3 is still a great car for bashing in my opinion!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Good question, I don't even know what the latest and greatest is, I am sure there is a lot of debate on that! The NTC3 is still a great car for bashing in my opinion!
Well, ordered a handful of goodies for the TC3. Blue aluminum drive shaft, 2 speeds transmission, new set of tires and a body. After all the parts come in I'll get some pictures of how it's coming along. I still haven't decided on the motor yet. I'll prolly get the Picco .12 7 port. All I can find is the 3 right now. These parts can't get here soon enough.