Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

2013 Torque line by Picco

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Only very slightly, hence why I said "run it easy for a tank". It certainly doesn't need to be blubbery-rich or idled the entire time.

A used engine is going to have some wear on the crankshaft journal, making it a smaller diameter than the rod bushing is intended for, so the fit will be looser than when the engine was brand-new. Because of this, there's no way a new rod in a used engine can possibly bind-up and suffer premature wear. Aside from conforming the brass bushing to the exact shape of the crank journal, there's nothing to break-in. It's not like the aluminum rod is going to benefit from heat-cycling or anything like that.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Ive always been told to let it idle on the box for 1 tank, and Ive never had a problem doing it this way
Idling on the box isn't a good idea. It doesn't let enough heat build up. It's far better in my experience to run full rich WOT for 1 tank. This is also how Eduardo Picco does it.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:36 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Idling on the box isn't a good idea. It doesn't let enough heat build up. It's far better in my experience to run full rich WOT for 1 tank. This is also how Eduardo Picco does it.
how does that work? I have tried that approach, and if it is rich enough to rev to high, then the temp drops to 160 or less. is my ear too conservative on what is too high an rpm?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Took the advise of my racing pal. Did 2 tanks WOT, ran a tank very rich and then set it on KILL! lol..j/k. Engine ran awesome the rest of the day. I'm off to the Eighth Scale Racers in Toledo for the 3rd leg of the MWS on Friday. Can't wait!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Picco videos of break in and after run procedure etc.

vimeo.com/90534216
Old 07-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by teguhfrmn87
So I need to add more of those shims? Because there are already 2 shims installed on the engine out of the box. Thanks
You need to measure the thickness of the shims.. If you have 2 shims in there, most likely each one of them is 0.2mm thick for a total of 0.4mm. You will need to add 1 shim of 0.1mm
Old 07-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage
After a gallon and a half, I put a new rod and wrist pin in. A very experienced racer..(ancient) suggested to run in the new rod by the blubbery rich, wheels not turning on the box for 2 tanks. Thoughts on this? I've always fattened up the engine for a few tanks and ran it around the track at about 75% off race tune. Love these engines! Want them to last!
It's a .12 EMX-WC if it matters.
Ive always been told to let it idle on the box for 1 tank, and Ive never had a problem doing it this way
Originally Posted by fyrstormer
If the piston and sleeve are already broken-in, then the rod isn't suffering too much, and you shouldn't really need to to any break-in for the rod at all. The brass bushing will conform to the microscopic contours of the crankshaft journal within a minute or so, and since brass is a relatively soft, self-polishing metal, it won't be producing any macroscopic metal shavings that might scrape up the piston or cylinder.

Really all you should need to do is oil the conrod bushings during installation, and then run the engine easy for a tank. Doesn't even need to be idling the whole time, just don't race it. Putter it around instead.
Umm...no, you do to break in the rod...
Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Only very slightly, hence why I said "run it easy for a tank". It certainly doesn't need to be blubbery-rich or idled the entire time.

A used engine is going to have some wear on the crankshaft journal, making it a smaller diameter than the rod bushing is intended for, so the fit will be looser than when the engine was brand-new. Because of this, there's no way a new rod in a used engine can possibly bind-up and suffer premature wear. Aside from conforming the brass bushing to the exact shape of the crank journal, there's nothing to break-in. It's not like the aluminum rod is going to benefit from heat-cycling or anything like that.
Originally Posted by avs
how does that work? I have tried that approach, and if it is rich enough to rev to high, then the temp drops to 160 or less. is my ear too conservative on what is too high an rpm?
Originally Posted by TeamCarnage
Took the advise of my racing pal. Did 2 tanks WOT, ran a tank very rich and then set it on KILL! lol..j/k. Engine ran awesome the rest of the day. I'm off to the Eighth Scale Racers in Toledo for the 3rd leg of the MWS on Friday. Can't wait!
At the end of the day it comes down to make the bushings of the rod marry the pin and crankshaft pin. I am not sure if there is a correct way, but i am sure that you need to have a lot of fuel going in there and a relative low rpm. I personally do a tank WOT extremely rich and a couple of tanks on a rich setting (like 200F) on the track. It works for me
Old 07-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Ran the heck outta my .12 EMX-WC at the third leg of the MWS at Toledo. Run time is always an issue for me here, but after some tuning, engine was spot on and power was great!. Unfortunately, rain washed out sundays mains. Looking forward to Cincinnati in a few weeks. Then the GLC!
Old 07-23-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paolo M
What motor you are running? reason i am asking is because some motors have a domed pistons and other are flat. Depending on that the shimming is different
Originally Posted by teguhfrmn87
PICCO TORQUE .12 EMX-WC
For 25% you need to use 0.5mm of shims
For 16% you need to use 0.4mm of shims

Always Picco #6 plug.
What would be the ideal total shim thickness, including the shim under the sleeve for running 30% Nitro w/9% Oil?
Old 07-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Tech Rookie

For 25% you need to use 0.5mm of shims
For 16% you need to use 0.4mm of shims

Always Picco #6 plug.
Hello, i received my new .21 emx wc and i wish to know the shimming for this motor, i will use 25%.
Also please can anyone tell me what are the factory needle settings for picco torque .21 EMX-WC?
Finally which is the appropriate race temp for this engine?

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Old 08-23-2015, 11:25 AM
JP
Tech Initiate

Hello
After some advice please What's the life time of the .21 ems wc ? I know it's a little dependant on its use but what's the general life span like?
Thanks
Old 09-07-2015, 04:36 AM
Tech Regular

What kind of track is the Picco 9185 - EFRA 2654 pipe tuned for? The pipe can be seen here:

http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/c...85-p-6434.html

I don't see this pipe listed on http://www.teampicco.com/index.php/accessories/exhausts
Old 04-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Default Picco Torque .21 EMX-3

Hi all fellow RC'ers

Could anyone be able to tell me the distance between mounting holes - from center to center - on the Torque .21 EMX-3 On-road engine?

This would be the distance from left to right when looking at the engine from the rear.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Controversy
Hi all fellow RC'ers

Could anyone be able to tell me the distance between mounting holes - from center to center - on the Torque .21 EMX-3 On-road engine?

This would be the distance from left to right when looking at the engine from the rear.

Distance between holes is standard in all big block engines. Usually 1.4-1.5" or 37-38mm
Old 04-30-2016, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Default Picco Torque EMX-3

Originally Posted by danyvw
Distance between holes is standard in all big block engines. Usually 1.4-1.5" or 37-38mm
Thanks for the reply.

The reason why I ask is because I recently acquired a XRAY RX8 2013 Specs which requires the engine mounting holes to be <37.8mm, if the mounting holes are 37mm then modification is necessary which is what I'm trying to avoid as I don't have access to the required tools.

Are you or anyone else able to confirm this for the engine in question?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.