R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Which motor is this?

Hi guys. I just got my first nitro touring car, an Xray NT1 and it came with a Picco JL tuned .12 (thats what it says on the head)

Ok now I know ive just named the motor, but I have also heard of a motor with a similar name that everyone has had troubles with the crank. My question is, is my motor this problem child motor from picco? do I have a bomb waiting to go off in my car? or is this motor a good starter motor?

please don't play chew the newb a new one

thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Which motor is this?-ofn51128.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle133 View Post
Hi guys. I just got my first nitro touring car, an Xray NT1 and it came with a Picco JL tuned .12 (thats what it says on the head)

Ok now I know ive just named the motor, but I have also heard of a motor with a similar name that everyone has had troubles with the crank. My question is, is my motor this problem child motor from picco? do I have a bomb waiting to go off in my car? or is this motor a good starter motor?

thanks guys
As I remember its Ofna, it carries Picco engine with JL tune.
beebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
Tech Addict

If Im correct thats the Evo 3 Tuned version.

Its not the crank that has the problem (although it is the reason of the following problem) but the Rods that are the common headache.

I believe they tried using a larger crankpin diameter and in this design, they had short lasting rods (they would blow the bushings at the crank after a few litres/a gallon of fuel, if that!)

Good motor, but the Evo 3 rods do not last as long as other engines.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear View Post
If Im correct thats the Evo 3 Tuned version.

Its not the crank that has the problem (although it is the reason of the following problem) but the Rods that are the common headache.

I believe they tried using a larger crankpin diameter and in this design, they had short lasting rods (they would blow the bushings at the crank after a few litres/a gallon of fuel, if that!)

Good motor, but the Evo 3 rods do not last as long as other engines.
Thank you!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle133 View Post

thanks guys
Its a good motor, just make sure you change the rod after every gallon. It doesnt like a long break in, usualy just one tank at idle and 2 tanks on the track with a rich setting and you're good to go, when you replace the rod, run it for one tank at idle to break in the rod. One more thing, it likes a bottom end on the rich side, or at least compared to other motors you have to run the bottom richer.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
Its a good motor, just make sure you change the rod after every gallon. It doesnt like a long break in, usualy just one tank at idle and 2 tanks on the track with a rich setting and you're good to go, when you replace the rod, run it for one tank at idle to break in the rod. One more thing, it likes a bottom end on the rich side, or at least compared to other motors you have to run the bottom richer.
Thats true, they just like it a little richer on the bottom end.

When you break in the new rod, use the rich WOT method. Quick, easy, and after that it's done
Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

thanks guys! I took my motor apart today and can feel some slop in the bushing of the rod. I will order a new one