Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
What is the best way to break in a new ening? >

What is the best way to break in a new ening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the best way to break in a new ening?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by Team-RTR
i used the cyrul method once. it consists of you richening the motor at WOT until it flames out. at this point you are upto 4 or 5 turn out from factory settings which means your engine is running at about 40-50C. i did not mean to offend you in any way afm i am just pointing out something that i noticed with the break in method you have posted by josh cyrul which i have found to be successful, but i am highly interested in your prescribed methods of running at race temp.
Both methods are very similar.......but I would use the Cyrul method doing WOT, but rich enough to avoid 4 stroking, because it is the key to avoid conrod bushing damage.
BTW the engine runs cooler at WOT because you are getting more cooling mixture, more air and oil into the engine........so to avoid running below 90ºC, which also damages engine, you have to cover the cooling head with something.

AFM
Old 02-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default wow

thats is the other extreme of 1/2 throttle etc... Now I am getting confused! Will that work for any nitro engine?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Start your engine and allow it to warm up with several short ½ throttle “blips”. Once your engine has some temperature in it you can begin the break-in process. Start by opening the top end needle 1 full turn. Open the carburetor to full throttle and hold it there. Open the top end needle until the engine flames out. From here, close the top end needle ¼ turn and restart the engine again running it at full throttle. Run the engine full throttle for 3 tanks and shut the engine down.

Allow the engine to cool for 15-30 minutes. Once the engine has cooled down, run through the same process again for two additional tanks. On the third tank close the top end needle by ¼ of a turn. Instead of holding the engine at full throttle, start using the throttle by doing 2-3 second bursts of full throttle. Once you have done this for ½ of the tank close the top end needle another ¼ of a turn and continue throttling the engine. Continue closing the top end needle ¼ turn per every ½ tank of fuel. Do this until you have run a grand total of 8 tanks through your engine and then shut the engine down.
The second paragraph seems to contradict the first. It says run three full tanks at WOT with the top needle close 1/4 turn. Ok I got that. But in the next paragraph, it says repeat the process for 2 additional tanks, but on the third start blipping the throttle and doing short bursts. My thing is, shouldn't that read the 5th tank?

Also for the first 3 tanks, am I shutting my engine down between tanks to cool, or refueling while the engine is running?

Could someone explain these 2 paragraphs in a little more detail for me? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by DJ_Normal
The second paragraph seems to contradict the first. It says run three full tanks at WOT with the top needle close 1/4 turn. Ok I got that. But in the next paragraph, it says repeat the process for 2 additional tanks, but on the third start blipping the throttle and doing short bursts. My thing is, shouldn't that read the 5th tank?

Also for the first 3 tanks, am I shutting my engine down between tanks to cool, or refueling while the engine is running?

Could someone explain these 2 paragraphs in a little more detail for me? Thanks.
Yes that is what i thought but he means the 3rd tank in the second lot (6tanks broken into 2 lots 3/3).

3 tanks in two lots... 1set of tanks run 3 tanks straight without shutting the engine down.

After the 3 are done shut it down and let it cool.

Then repeat the same thing again for another 3 tanks but on the 3rd tank of the second lot (6th tank) start to bleep the throttle in 2 sec intervals.

Then let it cool and your done then just run the car round the track and tune it to race settings.

Be sure to refuel the tanks Quick as the engine will rev high when you open the tank.

I spoke to Josh who wrote the run in procedure.

Hope this helps
Old 02-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have tried all the idling method and also WOT method .... and all my engines is ok...
Old 02-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally posted by TRAJ
Yes that is what i thought but he means the 3rd tank in the second lot (6tanks broken into 2 lots 3/3).

3 tanks in two lots... 1set of tanks run 3 tanks straight without shutting the engine down.

After the 3 are done shut it down and let it cool.

Then repeat the same thing again for another 3 tanks but on the 3rd tank of the second lot (6th tank) start to bleep the throttle in 2 sec intervals.

Then let it cool and your done then just run the car round the track and tune it to race settings.

Be sure to refuel the tanks Quick as the engine will rev high when you open the tank.

I spoke to Josh who wrote the run in procedure.

Hope this helps
Thanks for clearing that one, This method must only take less than an hour as 3 full tanks on full throttle on very rich setting might only last around 5 minutes then cooling period of 15 to 30 minutes the another 3 tanks again on full.

Still very hesitant about the WOT especially the first few tanks as I might break the rod though.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Tech Master

I understand what your saying it maybe just depends on the quality of an engine and its internals.

The Novarossi based engines such as RB and nova ofcourse dont have a problem with this method.

My m8s motor has been run for about 5meets and still has lots of compression and no rod play.

Worked fine for me and the engine flies!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

you talking about my RB there Mr. TRAJ or do you have some more frends i dunno about?
Old 02-10-2005, 03:10 AM
Tech Master

lol you guessed it its yoooo
Old 02-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: WOT - Wide Open Throttle???

Originally posted by danjoy25
Can someone confirm this. During breaking in a engine or heat cycling, It says to run the engine full throttle for 2-3 minutes (WOT). Is this full throttle all the time once engine temp is hot enough or just revving it to full throttle every few seconds?
thats the same as what i told you did i no faith mate. lol whn you gona give me a shot of that E-SPEC
Old 02-10-2005, 04:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

luie your ass is gana be handed to you on a platter on sat by some RRR power buddy oh yeah!
Old 02-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Team-RTR
luie your ass is gana be handed to you on a platter on sat by some RRR power buddy oh yeah!
man you better conisdering fw05t is what im using
Old 02-10-2005, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default Re: WOT - Wide Open Throttle???

Originally posted by danjoy25
Can someone confirm this. During breaking in a engine or heat cycling, It says to run the engine full throttle for 2-3 minutes (WOT). Is this full throttle all the time once engine temp is hot enough or just revving it to full throttle every few seconds?
in the 5 years that i have been racing i break in my engines at one tanks at 1/2 throttle and the next tank at full throttle(rich) then it is of to the track to fine tune it. I never had any problems with any of my engines.