R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Picco 2011 TORQUE onroad engines (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/477481-picco-2011-torque-onroad-engines.html)

stefan 02-01-2011 02:33 AM

Picco 2011 TORQUE onroad engines

This year, Picco's onroad engines will be called TORQUE insted of P1 and P7.

On Sunday, I can give more info if more than the name has changed.

http://mw.sonnleitner.at/shop/images/pic9010.jpg

http://mw.sonnleitner.at/shop/images/pic9230.jpg

Roelof 02-01-2011 03:36 AM

Named to the Picco flatslide carburator?

Blessed Speed 02-01-2011 10:29 AM

Nice Engine . And very powerful .
I like Picco Engines

Slo-MTX4 02-06-2011 04:27 PM

Anymore info on these?

quietstorm76 02-07-2011 12:26 PM

I can't wait!! Any release date?

stefan 02-07-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by quietstorm76 (Post 8615609)
I can't wait!! Any release date?

Hi Marcos,

I saw the first two at the Nuremberg show. ours are supposed to be here by the end of the month.

SOLOARTIST 702 02-07-2011 01:00 PM

nice

quietstorm76 02-07-2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by stefan (Post 8615634)
Hi Marcos,

I saw the first two at the Nuremberg show. ours are supposed to be here by the end of the month.

I've decided to use Picco Power in my 966 so I hope someone in the U.S. picks them up.

Slo-MTX4 02-07-2011 07:29 PM

Does anyone know the differences between these engines and the EVO4? There has been no report on red rc or anything about them.

quietstorm76 02-12-2011 04:40 AM

I wonder if someone will pick up U.S. distribution?

rageworks 02-12-2011 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 8581330)
Named to the Picco flatslide carburator?

Just what are you trying to ask?:weird:
Is your question supposed to be in english?:lol:
It makes no sense.

ioxqq 02-14-2011 12:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Check this out. I think the following information is not yet released until now.

Designed by Edoardo Picco and extensively track-tested, reliability and performance has been improved maintaining a good fuel efficiency.

The TORQUE Edo Modified is supplied with a 14mm “turbo” silicone-filled crankshaft to improve fuel flow and reduce weight, super aligned “knife edged” aerodynamic connecting rod, “hand fine finishing” hard chromed brass lapped liner with tear-drop workings on the ports, lightened piston CNC machined from high percentage silicone alloy billet, large size finned turbo combustion chamber insert for a better temperature dissipation, ultra light weight cooling head, 14mm Swiss quality main bearing, hand modified rear back plate to improve fuel flow and a composite slide carburetor with 7.0mm, 8.0mm and 9.0mm venturi inserts.

Highlights
• 7 Ports + 2 by pass hard chromed liner
• Piston CNC machined from billet
• 14mm turbo shaft
• Knife edged aerodynamic connecting rod
• Separate large size finned turbo combustion chamber insert
• 14mm Swiss quality main bearing
• Super lightweight cooling head
• Composite slide carburetor
• 7.0mm, 8.0mm and 9.0mm venturi inserts

Technical datas
• Displacement: 3,49cc
• Bore: 16,26mm
• Stroke: 16,80mm
• Output: 2,8hp @ 37,000rpm
• Weight: 335gr

Will be also available:
-REAR CERAMIC BALL BEARING
-ALUMINUM SLIDE CARBURETOR

jelayne 02-14-2011 04:18 AM

Balanced ?

A small question for you all, I have seen the trend with Novarossi based engines the use of weight to balance but I have not seen this trend in Picco based, is it that Picco are balanced as is and is not necessary ??

tcmodels 02-14-2011 04:30 AM

good engine

ioxqq 02-14-2011 06:46 AM

must be very good.

wingracer 02-14-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by rageworks (Post 8640983)
Just what are you trying to ask?:weird:
Is your question supposed to be in english?:lol:
It makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense if you know Picco history. They used to have a flat slide carb they called a "torque" carb. He was just saying it is named after that old, and quite infamous carb.

wingracer 02-14-2011 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by jelayne (Post 8650006)
A small question for you all, I have seen the trend with Novarossi based engines the use of weight to balance but I have not seen this trend in Picco based, is it that Picco are balanced as is and is not necessary ??

It's not really necessary on any engine. It has very little benefit (though probably some) and adds considerably to the price of the crank.

You quickly get to a point of diminishing returns with any engine design. You can build a very basic, easy to produce engine that can get 99% of the possible HP, or you can spend twice as much to get that last 1%.

Slo-MTX4 02-14-2011 05:52 PM

Be interesting to see if there are any changes to timings etc

Maximo 02-15-2011 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 8651375)
It's not really necessary on any engine. It has very little benefit (though probably some) and adds considerably to the price of the crank.

You quickly get to a point of diminishing returns with any engine design. You can build a very basic, easy to produce engine that can get 99% of the possible HP, or you can spend twice as much to get that last 1%.

it actually can make quite the difference in the upper end...

Roelof 02-15-2011 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 8655930)

That is probbebly why Picco is aiming on more bottom end to make a compromise in overall performance.

Maximo 02-15-2011 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 8656170)
That is probbebly why Picco is aiming on more bottom end to make a compromise in overall performance.

I have done a fair bit of dyno testing with the tungsten slugs...they definitely make a noticeable improvement on the engines ability to carry power in the upper end....Quite a few engines start shaking in the upper RPM which absolutely kills its ability to make power in the upper end..adding the Tungsten seems to reduce the vibrations in the upper RPM's which allows the engine to retain power better and spin to a higher RPM...

Slo-MTX4 02-15-2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 8655930)

My cranks get balanced by a mate that does modifications to my engines and my Piccos run with Novas in the top end no dramas.

Anf 02-16-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 8656722)
I have done a fair bit of dyno testing with the tungsten slugs...they definitely make a noticeable improvement on the engines ability to carry power in the upper end....Quite a few engines start shaking in the upper RPM which absolutely kills its ability to make power in the upper end..adding the Tungsten seems to reduce the vibrations in the upper RPM's which allows the engine to retain power better and spin to a higher RPM...

Using a heavier flywheel will have the same effect. By adding the tungsten inserts you are not magically improving crank balance but merely increasing the rotating weight and the damping effect.
I see these tungsten inserts as the current "must have", no doubt the fad will pass.

Maximo 02-16-2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Anf (Post 8661452)
Using a heavier flywheel will have the same effect. By adding the tungsten inserts you are not magically improving crank balance but merely increasing the rotating weight and the damping effect.
I see these tungsten inserts as the current "must have", no doubt the fad will pass.

I will disagree here.......I will not divulge all the results of my testing...But I will say with 100% certainty that the slug definitely adds top end power and reduces the vibrations in the engine.......I did multiple dyno tests on several engines..tested without slug, then retested the same day with the slug....Not only did the power after peak improve, there was also a noticeable reduction in the engines harmonics at higher RPM's...Not only did the engine carry power better after peak, it also pulled the dyno several thousand RPM higher before maxxing out....Adding a heavier flywheel has no such effect and showed absolutely zero difference on the dyno....... I wont pretend to know all the reasons why, but I can definitely verify the results with 100% certainty on the dyno....

Anf 02-16-2011 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 8661622)
I will disagree here.......I will not divulge all the results of my testing...But I will say with 100% certainty that the slug definitely adds top end power and reduces the vibrations in the engine.......I did multiple dyno tests on several engines..tested without slug, then retested the same day with the slug....Not only did the power after peak improve, there was also a noticeable reduction in the engines harmonics at higher RPM's...Not only did the engine carry power better after peak, it also pulled the dyno several thousand RPM higher before maxxing out....Adding a heavier flywheel has no such effect and showed absolutely zero difference on the dyno....... I wont pretend to know all the reasons why, but I can definitely verify the results with 100% certainty on the dyno....

The extra weight will not add power but I do not doubt when you say the dyno shows the engine producing more power and revving higher.
The extra weight may be allowing the engine to reach higher rpm and/or altering the point/s in the rev range where resonance occurs but there is always a trade off.
You can not "fix" engine balance, all you can do is alter the out of balance points to a range that suits the characteristics of the engine.

Maximo 02-16-2011 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Anf (Post 8661891)
The extra weight will not add power but I do not doubt when you say the dyno shows the engine producing more power and revving higher.
The extra weight may be allowing the engine to reach higher rpm and/or altering the point/s in the rev range where resonance occurs but there is always a trade off.
You can not "fix" engine balance, all you can do is alter the out of balance points to a range that suits the characteristics of the engine.

that sounds reasonable enough !

quietstorm76 02-21-2011 01:28 PM

Anybody have one yet?

am 02-21-2011 01:48 PM

I agree with Maximo on the slug story.

I had a kangarooe engine that i snapped the crank, it broke were the screw holds the flywheel. I had a Crono RS7 crank that was not slugged. Modified it to exact same timingnumbers that the kangaroo engine had. That enigne was never any good until i got a new crankshaft with sluggs. It missed a whole lot of revs on top and i never got the speed out of it.

>With a new crank evrything was back to normal. Do not need no dyno to find that out, just another crank without slugs and a 360 degree wheel, ohh and a dremel, lol

kyosho malaysia 02-24-2011 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Anf (Post 8661452)

heavier flywheel may increase the rpm(may be a little bit),but will reduce the low end a lot

Nipple 02-24-2011 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Anf (Post 8661891)

You mean the extra weight will only shift the natural frequency?
I thought the weight is for dynamic balancing.

Anf 02-25-2011 08:57 AM

[

Originally Posted by kyosho malaysia (Post 8703009)
heavier flywheel may increase the rpm(may be a little bit),but will reduce the low end a lot

Yes, adding weight will result in a trade off.

Anf 02-25-2011 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Nipple (Post 8703860)
You mean the extra weight will only shift the natural frequency?
I thought the weight is for dynamic balancing.

Any alteration to rotational or reciprocating weight will alter the resonant frequency.
Dynamic balancing is a method.

dcc 02-25-2011 04:17 PM

Check out the Picco website he has his test report from Homestead where he was testing for the up coming worlds. I saw this in person. One word WOW!!

stefan 03-11-2011 05:23 AM

Ready to rock

http://www.smg-speedshop.de/Westfalia/P81_torque_1.jpg

http://www.smg-speedshop.de/Westfalia/P81_torque_2.jpg

ugglasdav 03-11-2011 05:42 AM

were are they selling them?

stefan 03-11-2011 06:08 AM

Here:

http://www.smg-speedshop.de/shop/mai...bigPfad=77_148

B.S. 03-11-2011 07:20 AM

$400 for .12 edo mod!!! It is to much for them
For this money better to buy Novarossi 12 pt on www.rcmodel.com.hk

M7H 03-11-2011 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by B.S. (Post 8784534)
$400 for .12 edo mod!!! It is to much for them
For this money better to buy Novarossi 12 pt on www.rcmodel.com.hk

Don't compare Euro prices to HK...
We also earn 2 to 3 times more a month.... :D

If you want to compare Picco to Nova, take the .12 EVO4@mushroom, probably the same price range as the new Torque...
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=19655

GREGORY! 03-11-2011 07:43 AM

195e for the edo tuned is way less than 259 for a stock one.

stefan 03-11-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by GREGORY! (Post 8784637)
195e for the edo tuned is way less than 259 for a stock one.

plus shipping, plus tax, plus customs fees.....