Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Cooler plug - lower running temp? >

Cooler plug - lower running temp?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cooler plug - lower running temp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö
Default Cooler plug - lower running temp?

Hi!

I am running a Nova Mega SX-12 RE Turbo in Sweden where it's about 25 degrees celsius right now (77 F) with a #6 plug. My problem is that the engine gets really warm, over 140 C (284 F) it seems like sometimes. I got it to run pretty well now but I've heard something about that a cooler glow plug would help the engine run cooler, but it it doesn't make sense to me how the glowplug could change the temp? Can somebody help me clear this out?
Old 08-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Nitro Tech

Cooler plug can delay the igniting timing. If the igniting timing of your engine is too advance,it will cause engine abnormal hot. You need to try and see which one is more better to your application. But if your tempmeter is cheap one or dropped a lot of time,maybe the number is not precise.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:45 AM
Tech Regular

OK Thanks, Actually, my tempmeter is some spit on the cooling head.. Since I'm 13 I'm not very rich.. But it smelled burnt oil and some spit just boiled away in half a second or something..
So, with a cool plug will the fuel explode closer to the TDC than with a warm plug? So if the plug is to warm the engine would act like a short stroke enigine with high revs but not so much power?
Am I getting it right?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:58 AM
Tech Regular

For a .12 i'm not sure if you'd want to go to a #7, that might be a little too cold. With a colder plug the engine will be harder to make it idle happily, which might make it harder to tune overall.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:43 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by New_Toasted
OK Thanks, Actually, my tempmeter is some spit on the cooling head.. Since I'm 13 I'm not very rich.. But it smelled burnt oil and some spit just boiled away in half a second or something..
So, with a cool plug will the fuel explode closer to the TDC than with a warm plug? So if the plug is to warm the engine would act like a short stroke enigine with high revs but not so much power?
Am I getting it right?
You need to try also to feel its different. It all depend on the weather,oxygen density,nitro rate...etc. No one can give you accurate answer except your local experts. Wide open track I'll choice cooler plug,tight track I'll use hotter plug. Also there are two different type nova's plugs. If you are using long body #6,it may a bit too hot to your weather.

By the way,you're more rich than me. See my tempmeter...J/K...
Attached Thumbnails Cooler plug - lower running temp?-mytempgun.jpg  
Old 08-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

OK, Thanks for all replies!

I'm running 16% nitro (highest EFRA approved) and a long #6 (I heard there's long and short, I used to run a short #5 before) and a pretty short Protoform Astra body.. The track I run at is pretty fast for those small 1:10 cars, do you think a #7 is worth a try? And in case of "yes" long or short?

Thanks again for clearing things up!

Simon

P.S That's what I call tempgun!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Nitro Tech

With 25C atmospheric temperature I would use short body #6 on sunny day,long body #6 for wettish day. Above suggestion is for .12 small engine only. I use more cooler plug on .21 engine. Have fun!
Old 08-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

OK, Thanks! Tomorow the weather forecast says it'll be cloudy, so a long #6 will work fine then?

Thanks for all the helt Dino!

Simon