R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 08-05-2004, 08:38 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Engine Difficulties

Hey, I have a sts rs3 that i am running in my g4 and after taking the engine out to clean for regular maintenance, it has not started up since. I have checked everything i thought possible, and it still doesn't start. I have

1) Checked polarity on starter box, running right way

2) Taken apart engine twice to see if any problems

3) Put fuel directly into engine through glow hole to see if there is a problem with the carb

4) Looked for blockages in tuned pipe

5) Checked to make sure flywheel is on snugly

All of these i have checked, + some other things, and my engine will not start. It almost seems like it has too much compression, but my shims are in the right place and everything is fine. Whenever i try to start it on my x5 box, it will sometimes turn over once, and then the starter box motor will spin the flywheel, but no ignition occurs. I have had great success with nitro problems, but this has me stumped Thanks for the help, i appreciate it

bballer
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 08:47 PM   #2
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: Engine Difficulties

Quote:
Originally posted by bballer
Hey, I have a sts rs3 that i am running in my g4 and after taking the engine out to clean for regular maintenance, it has not started up since. I have checked everything i thought possible, and it still doesn't start. I have

1) Checked polarity on starter box, running right way

2) Taken apart engine twice to see if any problems

3) Put fuel directly into engine through glow hole to see if there is a problem with the carb

4) Looked for blockages in tuned pipe

5) Checked to make sure flywheel is on snugly

All of these i have checked, + some other things, and my engine will not start. It almost seems like it has too much compression, but my shims are in the right place and everything is fine. Whenever i try to start it on my x5 box, it will sometimes turn over once, and then the starter box motor will spin the flywheel, but no ignition occurs. I have had great success with nitro problems, but this has me stumped Thanks for the help, i appreciate it

bballer

It may sound stupid but......

Have you checked your glow plug outside to see if it ignites???

Of course i discard that your igniter is fully charged.

When your engine spins with the starter box, and you cover the pipe's stinger with your finger, does fuel reach the carb???

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:03 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Thanks for the help. Its hard to describe, but the engine doesn't even want to turn over the piston. I took out the pulg and ran i to see if the engine was flooded, and the piston would go, but when i put the plug back on, the engine would not start. Thanks for the help, theres probably something stupid im missing.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Engine Difficulties

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
[B
When your engine spins with the starter box, and you cover the pipe's stinger with your finger, does fuel reach the carb???

AFM [/B]
The problem is, the engine doesn't spin with the glow plug in!! Its like its too tight. When i loosen the glow plug, the engine almost starts, but it sounds really LOW instead of the high rev that you normally hear Thanks for the help

btw, the engine has been broken in already
Old 08-16-2004, 04:11 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Try a short plug. ??? Just an idea. Good luck
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:13 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Im running a nova #5 as recommended by dino..., it worked fine before, so why wouldn't it now?
Thanks for the input, any other ideas??
Old 08-16-2004, 07:20 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Since its a new engine, its still very tight, and STSs are known to be very tight. Loosend the plug 1 turn or 2 and try to start it that way, once it starts tighten the plug. Keep doing it that way until break-in is complete.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:25 PM   #8
Tech Regular

No, the engine has been broken in. Oh well, i guess its off to the lhs, i hate doing that b/c i cant fix it myself
Old 08-16-2004, 08:55 PM   #9
Nitro Tech

When the main needle is too rich,it may happen. Think about the .12 engine is so small size,if you drop 2 drops fuel in the combustion chamber,it is hard to turn the piston to the TDC.

Another reason maybe the starter box is too weak. G4 has the smallest flywheel,so the start torque is small too. Recharge the battery of your starter box.

I don't think the plug reference to this problem. But the weather is hot now,a #5 plug may be too hot.
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:04 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Thanks dino, ill try that tomorrow, its late here . /my starter box is fine, the batteries are freshly charged also. The thing about the needles is a good thought though, but would that make my engine have a low sound when trying to start instead of the high-reving noise??? Thanks for the help, now i wont be able to sleep i want to try it
Old 08-16-2004, 09:15 PM   #11
Nitro Tech

Quote:
Thanks dino, ill try that tomorrow, its late here . /my starter box is fine, the batteries are freshly charged also. The thing about the needles is a good thought though, but would that make my engine have a low sound when trying to start instead of the high-reving noise??? Thanks for the help, now i wont be able to sleep i want to try it
You are using normal plug or turbo plug? If normal pulg,do you remember the plug's brass shim?

Also,what maintenance oil are you using? If its viscosity is too high,it will let the compression high too.

Last edited by dino.tw; 08-16-2004 at 09:29 PM.
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:03 PM   #12

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds like bad fuel to me. The fuel gets in and doesn't ignite, then wetsumps the engine.

Try fresh fuel and a fresh plug.

BK
mxwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:51 AM   #13
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
ANOTHER STUPID QUESTION, BUT WORTH LOOKING AT.
WHEN YOU STARTED THIS POST YOU MENTIONED DISSASEMBLING YOUR ENGINE.
DID YOU PUT BACK THE PISTON IN THE RIGHT POSITION???
I MEAN THE SIDE WITH THE CUT DOWN SKIRT FACING INTAKE????

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:03 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
ANOTHER STUPID QUESTION, BUT WORTH LOOKING AT.
WHEN YOU STARTED THIS POST YOU MENTIONED DISSASEMBLING YOUR ENGINE.
DID YOU PUT BACK THE PISTON IN THE RIGHT POSITION???
I MEAN THE SIDE WITH THE CUT DOWN SKIRT FACING INTAKE????

AFM
Good point

If its not this and your starter box can turn it over without the glow plug try putting you plug back in and getting a hair dryer and heating up the body (of the motor not your body!!) this will make it easier to turn over and hopefully get it started

Good luck
Brett.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:45 AM   #15
Tech Regular

dino, yes i have the brass shim in, and what do you mean by maintenance oil?? I assume you mean after run oil, and i am using the ofna brand

mxwrench, ill try the new fuel, although it should be fine. Good idea, hadn't thought of that

afm and voodo_magic, yes, the engine is assembled right, ive had it apart 5 times the last few days, and i triple checked it was right. In regards to the hair dryer, the engine has been broken in