R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 11-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default When an engine looses compression.

Hi guys, I have a pretty new RB T10 and today I noticed that it is really easy to rotate the engine by hand.
Also, I can't really get it to idle properly - its ok at some stage, then it would idle down and die. The LSN seems too rich, but if I lean it it makes that lean sound when taking off, and is rich around mid-throttle.
When the pipe is off, if I rotate the piston I can hear air escaping from the chamber from the exhaust port
Im not sure if somewhere I've done something wrong - Ive always used after run oil, kept the piston at BDC. I have no idea what could be wrong! The engine is probably about 2 months old and I have NEVER set the HSN too lean, smoke was always coming out.
Also, is it possible to have the LSN too lean, but still have plenty of smoke come out? I noticed if I pinch the fuel line, it stops pretty quickly, but there was always smoke coming out.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Tech Addict

This has even happened to my Picco .12 JLR Evo3, two of them!
The first of them was a modified version from AB Mods. It lasted about 6 months before giving me too many headaches, so I got another one, unmodified, and it went the same route after 2 months!!
Hmmm, so many possibilities...
Old 11-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear View Post
This has even happened to my Picco .12 JLR Evo3, two of them!
The first of them was a modified version from AB Mods. It lasted about 6 months before giving me too many headaches, so I got another one, unmodified, and it went the same route after 2 months!!
Hmmm, so many possibilities...
6 months is how many races or gallons/liters of fuel? Engines do wear out. Also I don't know anything about the fuel you run, but that could have something to do with it as well.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:56 AM   #4
Tech Addict

For 6 months, Im guessing that would get me through 6-8 litres? At least that much before, maybe 5-6 now. Actually thinking about that now, it seems like it had a good amount of fuel through it, but Ive heard of engines lasting crap-loads longer! I hope maybe I just had a wrong tune, making me think the engine is dying, Ill definitely find out in the next 2 weeks to be sure.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

DJ, I can't remember how many times I have had a weird idling engine, thinking my needles were off but they wern't.

Either one of two things:

1. engine bearings
2. air leak (usually around carb or needle area).

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How did you break in those piccos? JLs dont need a lot of break in, maybe 3 tanks at a rich setting is enough for the JLs
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Well, the RB is probably into it's 4th litre, I replaced the rod after between 1-2 litres. I doubt its an air leak, even still I sealed up the carb. If it is the bearings, how would I know? Maybe they do need replacing - what should I get? A normal front bearing (small one) and go ceramic for the inside one?

With the Picco's i did notice they broke in very quickly, felt no real difference after the 3rd tank like you said. Not sure how I did it, but I think I went like this:
T1: Heat it as much as I could, maybe around 150. Start it, riiiich bottom end, raised the idle speed via the screw.
Cool down at BDC for 10-15 min.
T2: Same as T1 but I let it idle at normal speed with stock "rich" settings, giving it blips every know and then.
Cool down at BDC for 10 min or so.
T3riving time - go around 1/4-1/2 throttle up and around my street for 2-3 seconds at a time.
Cool down for 10 min @ BDC
T4: Same thing, more at 1/2 throttle. Finished for the day.
Rest of the tanks were done on my track on fairly rich settings, all using an OS P3.
On one occasion when I was in a tournament, the last 2 races I noticed it lost all power like it was on the verge of being too lean but not being hot. After I finished and took it home, it seemed to lose a lot of air through the front bearing, more than I thought it should, left it like that ever since.