R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie needs help !: Kyosho engine will not start.

Hi all,

Im new to the world of RC, and have been given an 1/10 scale 4x4 Kyosho GP car. Its a model Ford GT40, fitted with a Kyosho GS11x engine.

The car is full race spec, since the previous owner used to race it at national races in the UK, but that was many yrs ago, and now the car is approx 20yrs old.

For some reason it will not start.
I have stripped the engine down and found lots of sludgy oil in the bottom of the crank case. So i have washed the entire engine with "Carb Cleaner", then put a few spots of Mobil 1 on the main and small ends of the conrod.
The engine appears to be in good condition, but has problems running.
I have fitted a new Glow Plug, and a new GS Starter, and its got fresh 16% Nitro fuel in the tank.
Very rarely it will actually fire and start, but after about 3mins of Idle it will just die. After that point it will not start again.

A local model shop has said the engine has minimal compression, and as such it needs a new engine, or rebuild.

What are your thoughts ?.

The GS11x seems to be very rare. However there are a few GS15 units on ebay. Will these fit ?. I.e. are they the same physical mounting size ?.

Any help you can give in guiding me would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Taylor,
Reading, UK.
Paul_taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_taylor View Post
Hi all,

Im new to the world of RC, and have been given an 1/10 scale 4x4 Kyosho GP car. Its a model Ford GT40, fitted with a Kyosho GS11x engine.

The car is full race spec, since the previous owner used to race it at national races in the UK, but that was many yrs ago, and now the car is approx 20yrs old.

For some reason it will not start.
I have stripped the engine down and found lots of sludgy oil in the bottom of the crank case. So i have washed the entire engine with "Carb Cleaner", then put a few spots of Mobil 1 on the main and small ends of the conrod.
The engine appears to be in good condition, but has problems running.
I have fitted a new Glow Plug, and a new GS Starter, and its got fresh 16% Nitro fuel in the tank.
Very rarely it will actually fire and start, but after about 3mins of Idle it will just die. After that point it will not start again.

A local model shop has said the engine has minimal compression, and as such it needs a new engine, or rebuild.

What are your thoughts ?.

The GS11x seems to be very rare. However there are a few GS15 units on ebay. Will these fit ?. I.e. are they the same physical mounting size ?.

Any help you can give in guiding me would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Taylor,
Reading, UK.
if it will idle for 3 mins that seems like a long time to me its sounds like u are too rich check the glo plug to see if its real wet after u have tried to start it a few times if so theres to much fuel getting in
Old 10-04-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

unless if you are restoring it to be a collectors item, I wouldnt spend any money on it(replacing engine etc).

If the local shop can't tune it, then you might want to find a local near you who might have a shot at it? Any local tracks or forums you can check out are worth a shot.

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote