Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
New Nitro Engine Dyno: The X-Dyno >

New Nitro Engine Dyno: The X-Dyno

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Nitro Engine Dyno: The X-Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by dragoneuh
I not interested in buying this dyno. Here's what i want.
I want you to take all the engine on the market now and test them and put the result on your mag.
So i can buy the most powerful one.
As if you had to ask
Old 06-20-2004, 12:38 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Eric2004: The most important function of a dyno for personal use will always be to compare engine A to engine B to engine C and so on. I don't think many will buy a dyno just to brag to their friends that their motor puts out a particular HP. Thus, the motors should be broken in and tuned to race or operational settings before being put on the dyno -- just like a real car. Needle settings will differ from engine to engine, so to get the best and most usable results, the engines should be tuned and then dyno'd.

The throttle is opened mechanically at a constant rate across the length of the pull, keeping it consistent. You're correct that a hand-operated throttle would skew the results.

Can't help you on the fan, though I suspect that there is no cooling done to the engine during the test -- once again, a controlled environment is your best bet.

Check out the upcoming (and subsequent) issues of XRC for more information. A multi-engine test is coming soon.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:33 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by Eric2004
Dino
They are sold through Chen Pin book shop in Taiwan, there are a lot of them in Taipei.
Chen Pin has Xtreme R/C Cars magazine
I see... I see ....Thanks!

Last edited by dino.tw; 06-20-2004 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by Eric2004
It looks like an inertia dyno. I made one myself in the past three month. But few problems I am having with this type of dyno is

1. How do you determine the state of tune of the engine on the dyno? If the engine is mounted onto the dyno it may not be running at maximum output condition (due to needle setting.)
Do you tune it on your car and then mount the engine to the dyno?

2. How do you control the throttle opening? Most of the time, this is done either through hand or the transmitter? But the speed at which you open the throttle will influence the acceleration?

3. Cooling. Do you need to attach a fan to the dyno?

Hope somebody can help me on this!!
I had a idea long time ago.But just have no time to make it come true....

Use a 16ch high-speed I/O card to control some stepping motors. You can use it to control the throttle opening even use it to adjust the needles. Then one digital Stroboscope to detect the rpm. One digital anemo meter to detect the air flow. One digital temp meter to detect the engine temp. Use PC to control those equipment and collect those information. Then we can have one
electronic throttle and get the pure data ....

Although I can write the software myself but... too lazy....
Old 06-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The throttle is opened mechanically at a constant rate across the length of the pull, keeping it consistent. You're correct that a hand-operated throttle would skew the results.
actually what you want is to jack the throttle open as fast as possible to wide open throttle. Mine is going to use spring triggered opening and servo forced closing. You want the motor to pull as hard as possible on the flywheel from the bottom to the top. With an inertia dyno the whole premise is to determine how fast the engine can spool up the flywheel so instantaneus throttle opening is required.

you can tune the engine using exhaust temprature, it will be in the 900 degree range, obviously it will take several passes to find the window of optimum power.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:03 AM
R/C Tech Founder

I make no claim to knowing the best way to do things; my point is merely that it is done mechanically and not through operator intervention.

I have seen the dyno run but that's it -- I'll leave the actual workings to people who know a lot more than I do about nitro engines...
Old 06-21-2004, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

I think also it will be perfect ( just a dream) to link dyno to "race simulator" software, with real load on engine all over the track controled by this simulator, and see how engine is behaving. I think this will be the best info you can get out of dyno test. It will be realy tough to make this device, but it will be almost ideal.
Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2004, 05:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
I think also it will be perfect ( just a dream) to link dyno to "race simulator" software, with real load on engine all over the track controled by this simulator, and see how engine is behaving. I think this will be the best info you can get out of dyno test. It will be realy tough to make this device, but it will be almost ideal.
Any ideas?
Get VRC to program in any track you want. Hook the throttle up to a servo and Y-link the lead with the USB connector. Then you get throttle control while playing the game. All data can be captured in a second computer taking the readings to reduce chances of computer crashing.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Any ideas?
A couple of answers here.

Dynos are not designed to provide on-track data. Purely a tool to see which motor provides more power on the dyno (one of the reasons why the quote "We don't race on dynos" is true). A dyno can weed out those engines that are not up to snuff or track changes in performance from mods.

The throttle is worked just liek fullsized dynos. It's at idle (cleaned out) and then set to full throttle. This is how real dyno runs are taken too. Part of the dyno run is to see time related issues.

You can read the dyno information and make chages to your car. Especially when you have one of the on-board RPM sensors installed. Then you could make changes to the car so you are in the fat part of the dyno curve where the engine is making the most power.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:11 AM
Tech Addict

Top Gun 777
when you get this dyno can you dyno tune my future motor, so that way i stay ahead of the game. ?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by DerekB
A couple of answers here.

Dynos are not designed to provide on-track data. Purely a tool to see which motor provides more power on the dyno (one of the reasons why the quote "We don't race on dynos" is true).
:
:
True, but a simulation, particularly a repeatable one, could indicate the suitability of an engine to a particular track type. For instance an engine with lots of top end and little on the bottom might not show well on a short twisty treak.

Remember that other saying: "Horsepower sells engines but torque wins races."
Old 06-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

So "How Much" and "When"?
Old 08-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

Default Dyno testing

I was lucky today to be able to test PS12 on X-Dyno.
I can tell you -it is ammezing tool and can be use by any level racers. So easy to use, very friendly in control.
One more thing I wanted realy pointed-it is repeatability. We were running test after test with the same settings and it always was reading the same results. Ones something was changed-it indicate it right away.
I realy highely recomend to anybody, who is concidering to get dynostand-watch it-it will give you a lot of answer on any kind of complecated questions, which can pop when you work with nitro engines.
Thank you very much Brian to create such great tool and let me test my engine. It was real educatable and very very hepfull for me. In one day I got more info then I was able to get for while on track. Also, please say big thanks to your family, to be very patient with us.
Edward

Last edited by Top Gun 777; 08-08-2004 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:53 AM
Tech Addict

how do i get one?
Old 08-08-2004, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Thunder racer
how do i get one?
Send PM to DerekB here in forum, I am sure he will be able to help you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.